Double Fine Action Forums
Cheeseness

Screenshots & Videos

I thought it'd be helpful to have a place to share any interesting screenshots, or gameplay videos that we come up with.

To get the ball rolling, here are some videos from @lightsoda of the work he'd done prior to us opening things up to the community

And here's a screenshot of some of the initial obstacle assets.

pre-launch1.png.87aa23dc6ec6ea46d870952b2800bd01.png

The final video of this shows me how this could be done as a single player really well, without need of an actual AI opponent.

Just the concept alone of a sideways pinball table and a pong/arkanoid slider as your buffer zone would still fit the concept and then in the 2 player it's that both sides are still pingpong/foosball exits spots for competition.

I made some simple light pads similar to those on some pinball tables. Not sure how they could impact scoring, probably just a cosmetic feature. These could also function as boost pads which speed up the ball? There could also be a 'directed' boost pad in the shape of an arrow head. KGuNN mentioned something similar.

poooooooongball.thumb.gif.a7a375778b8a70503b74cfffdf0a2a49.gif

4 minutes ago, jctwood said:

I made some simple light pads similar to those on some pinball tables. Not sure how they could impact scoring, probably just a cosmetic feature. These could also function as boost pads which speed up the ball? There could also be a 'directed' boost pad in the shape of an arrow head. KGuNN mentioned something similar.

poooooooongball.thumb.gif.a7a375778b8a70503b74cfffdf0a2a49.gif

Those lights are awesome. I think this table is a little hard to play though. I played it a bit and for the most part it was me battling against the table itself and the ball very rarely went to my opponents side.

3 minutes ago, kyle3wynn said:

I think this table is a little hard to play though. I played it a bit and for the most part it was me battling against the table itself and the ball very rarely went to my opponents side.

I agree kyle, hopefully if we can implement paddle rotation then we can have more control over the ball. That tunnel isnt working well either, will need to work out a better one

3 minutes ago, lightsoda said:

@KGuNN @kyle3wynn well, it might be a little more insteresting with working flippers.

My gut says that working flippers will only exacerbate this - it'll make the ball more likely to stay on one side of the playfield.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

My gut says that working flippers will only exacerbate this - it'll make the ball more likely to stay on one side of the playfield.

Yeah, you might be right.

Ramps could be a strategy for counteracting that, but I think we need to nail core gameplay before focusing too much on those kinds of things.

1 hour ago, lightsoda said:

Made a gif of some of the things we have currently.

pongball_01_t.gif

That is one tiny gif!

Looks great though :D

I always post my videos in irc but forget to post them here

Oooh awesome! These possibly point scoring pinball elements which do not affect the ball too much could be the best fwatures to add. 

Hi all. I had a decent chance to play the latest build and want to share a few screenshot of the some of the things that jumped out to me and my local opponent:

First off, we felt the ball really needs to either get faster as the time or score increases, or the base speed of the ball needs a boost. There were too many times where we would go almost a minute without doing anything.

Table01 was great because the points really racked up quickly adding the element of tension which is what makes the game get really fun. However, with the speed of the ball capped out and the map being full of bumpers, it was often difficult to score and therefore the points could get very high before anyone could score (notice the points banked in the image). This could make the points to win threshold very tricky for this map because it could end up being met after one goal.

Pongball4.jpg.feab631750fd9b975bf482ec1123f68f.jpg

On Table02, the highlight of the map is definitely the ramp. However, it was extremely difficult to hit it during the course of the game. Additionally, the orange bumpers were a bit of a coin flip as to whether the ball would go behind them or bounce away. If the ball did go behind it would come out at an odd angle based on the new paddle directional aiming (see first image below). This combined with the ability to lose your paddle in the geometry made that corner especially tricky (see second image below). We really liked how the level was set up to collect balls in the speed slots but wondered if that could be moved a bit to make it a little less random.

Pongball1.jpg.380c1c2fa8c2b4f519b44d27d81cb935.jpgPongball2.jpg.c89b423056dc8cebd4ad77bd3d47533e.jpg

Speedster played very well and we loved a lot of the feature that were in the map. It probably could have been a little more clear where the switches were and how to activate the speed pads but we figured them out relatively quickly. With the difficulty of aiming it took way to much time to try to activate the two-step speed pad in the middle of the ramp, but when it happened and the green light turned on, things got really, really intense and fun. Finally, sometimes the spinner can get stuck in the horizontal position such that the ball cannot hit it.

Pongball7.thumb.jpg.87c35f2b911db9a0dbcd84655f907699.jpg

One last thing, the obstruct power is way to powerful when it takes up 90% of the screen.Pongball5.thumb.jpg.c72e87538cde7c52b0db199b8180c568.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work. The game is actually shaping up nicely and is showing promising signs of fun.

Thank you for this amazing breakdown of each table and your experience!

@rheberling

Thank you for testing and for providing feedback, it's great to hear what people think and how the tables play. 

Glad you enjoyed it 

This is extremely cool! Amazing that you can kind of work out what it was everyone was doing based on the folders they spent time in.