Sign in to follow this  
Derek Brand

The Daily Screenshot Thread

Day One!

Everyone has been hard at work testing out new clay tech, building test levels, organizing design thoughts and testing out Unreal physical animation setups! Here's Zach & Jared's Test Pot walking around the test room.

potguy.gif

I've never gotten to work in Unity or any programming, but I'm basically starting to think from every thing I've ever seen about game making, collision detection seems to be the hardest thing to get down.   I mean clipping is an issue even in the biggest budget, super AAA games.

Is this right, though?  Is collision detection one of the major things that programmers have yet found a way to perfect for whatever reasons?

Collision detection isn't particularly hard (not that it's easy), it's just computationally expensive. Almost always, developers will approximate the general shape of an object for collision purposes instead of testing collision against the actual exact geometry, the way a studio like Pixar would do for their physics simulations. It's just a lot faster, and usually looks good enough. It can lead to some weird errors though.

Anyway! This is looking super cool already. Really impressed that you have this rigged up on the first day!

Oh man, DAY TWO

We've got some fun updates:

Jeremy N got a whitebox version of our arena map in! And some rocks we can start using to populate the environment,

Which Kristen is texturing up. 

Jared has been working hard on a rig where we can move arms and leg positions and scale them.

And Matt has been hard at work on Pot Tech.  He can fill rooms with random shaped pots that have collision. This is important!

Pasted image at 2017_04_13 05_04 PM.png

Pasted image at 2017_04_13 05_02 PM.png

customArms.gif

AF001.jpg

AF002.jpg

Pasted image at 2017_04_13 05_37 PM.png

You guys are rocking this. It's all shaping up nicely. Arena of you guys worried about this thing? No need! PUNS!

Day 04!

Jared got the final spirit model in with a rig. Also some terrain maps from Kristen, a quick light pass and some VFX from Jeremy. 

Day4Gifsmall.gif

And I just got mooned by a purple spirit. Game over, Kiln definitely won AF2017. :D

It's the butt bonus. Them's the rules.

In my head Neverending Story by Limhal is playing in the background of that flying sprite.

Maybe Camden can do somthing with that "ear visual".

Haha awesome! Love the environment textures so far too, really started go into the concept art direction, which I really liked :) 

Hot damn, that's amazing stuff! That looks so very cool, good job, Matt!

You guys are really rocking this awesome concept! Good job, Kiln Team! :D

The clay building is awesome.  I really loved the spin and the forming, it invokes a kind power... the entire MAKING something that you know is a "body" to fight with feeling is well... powerful.

Sidenote:  Maybe I'm the only one bothered by it but the pink glowy outline looks less clean and polished then just the solids the team started with.  I'm sure it's been noticed and is being tweaked or like I said, it's just me.

Can't ask for any more authentic pottery tech than that... great work!

Wow, that looks incredible. i really cant wait to have a play

Wow that pot throwing looks niiiiiiiice. So authentic I can almost feel Patrick Swayze's tender caress!

DAY 6

Another great day of progress. We had our first multiplayer test today and turns out It's suuuper fun to fly around as a little ghost with your friends!!!!! THANK YOU @Chad Dawson!!!!

Day6small.gif

Edited by Derek Brand

This looks like SOOO much fun! The pot throwing, I just watched Day 2 (ep1), the CTF variant sounds cool, too.

Had a blast playing the multi-player version yesterday - tho this guy looks a little suspect about the whole thing.

fierce.png

1 hour ago, caryl said:

Had a blast playing the multi-player version yesterday - tho this guy looks a little suspect about the whole thing.

I'm hoping the wording of this sentence means they actually have figured a way for even the prototype to have a "single player" version.

If not, I'm good, but if so... omg.

Some damn good gifs today you guys.  @Jeremy Mitchell is getting some really nice wet clay materials and VFX going on. Also featuring Jared's super nice Kiln model. And Physical animation is goofy as hell.

FIREDUP.gif

Day7small.gif

faceroll.gif

13 hours ago, Derek Brand said:

faceroll.gif

Aww! Poor little fella! xD

I'm so excited to try the prototype, though I'm secretly hoping KILN will end up as a fully fledged PSN title in the future. Fantastic job everyone!  

On 4/20/2017 at 9:04 PM, Derek Brand said:

Some damn good gifs today you guys.  @Jeremy Mitchell is getting some really nice wet clay materials and VFX going on. Also featuring Jared's super nice Kiln model. And Physical animation is goofy as hell.

faceroll.gif

Keep your nose to the grindstone!

I really like how this game is shaping up! That pottery sculpting is slick!