• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

I wanted to drop in and provide an update of development so far. It's been a fun and busy two days. Here is some of what we've been up to.

Story / Setting
The most dramatic update (based on the reactions of coworkers on other teams) is the work we've done developing story for the game. We've gone in a sci-fi direction. We start with the main character crash landed on an alien planet. This fiction works nicely for a few reasons. It removes some constraints on the types of creatures we can make since they're aliens. We're also using a periodic radiation storm in place of the literal winter I described in my initial pitch. You shelter in your crashed ship for the duration of the storm. But the radiation causes the creatures of the planet to mutate and evolve faster than normal.

Design
We've been having lots of design meetings. We've been thinking about what traits and behaviors creatures might have and what our player mechanics will be. Current version of player mechanics includes a sprint, pickup/throw (projectile attack), a sucking/harvest tool built into your suit that is used to capture creatures, and a teleport to get back to your ship quickly.

Gameplay Tech
We've divided gameplay tech development into two efforts:
1) Player hunting and creature behavior
2) Genetic simulation
Both efforts are moving forward nicely. We have a character running around in a world and we're adding in some hunting mechanics. We have some basic creature behaviors for fleeing and approaching the player. We don't have real art in the game yet, just the placeholder mannequin from unreal. The genetic simulation is going to allow us to test out reproduction scenarios independent of the survival gameplay. The hope is that this allows us to iterate faster when tuning the simulation.

Art
We've been exploring how to construct the creatures, getting some terrain materials into the project, and starting to build some creature and environment models. We've also been iterating on a bunch of cool concept art. I'll post a couple concepts in a reply to this thread.

Devin, just wanted to pop in and say that I'm so excited for this direction. It's the best fiction wrapper I could imagine for this type of gameplay. There's a reason you guys are the pros!

This game just became like one of the coolest games ever.

You also sound like you folks are having a ton of fun with it.

Always been a fan of the scifi, good thinking pushing it in that direction.

Concept art looks great, hoping to see more in time.

All in all, this all sounds (and looks!) really cool indeed! :D

I really love that environment concept and the space setting appeals to me as long as it is vibrant space not dusty mars space!