Cheeseness

Concept Art

7 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I'm really a fan of the design/layout of WavingPeople's original sketch and I think it worked well behind Mythalore's work as a placeholder in terms of providing valuable direction for future contributions. I'm sad to see it go.

I like it too - but honestly, I think it's fun to let the menu have a rotating background - so that you're treated to a different looking menu each time you open up the game.  That way we can display the diversity of the artwork that has been created for the game, since the development of this game is all about embracing different art styles and concepts.

WavingPeople's sketch can easily be added to the menu rotation as well, once the random display function is sorted out.

Edited by Jenni

I don't know I think it's important for the player to have a memorable hub area, and the way that @WavingPeople's concept ties so well into the wall of adventure is pretty important for the structure and setting of the game. It uses the adventurer's home as a base that you can then go to various weird memories from but you always have the home, representing the menu, to come back to.

26 minutes ago, Mythalore said:

I don't know I think it's important for the player to have a memorable hub area, and the way that @WavingPeople's concept ties so well into the wall of adventure is pretty important for the structure and setting of the game. It uses the adventurer's home as a base that you can then go to various weird memories from but you always have the home, representing the menu, to come back to.

The Wall of Adventure isn't currently the sole hub area - the hub is the nursing home, and memories are interacted through objects in the nursing home (TimeGentleman's concept is the base, and other elements will be added upon that). The Wall of Adventure, once created, will be an element of the nursing home, a wall of memorabilia that can be interacted with (and making a nice place to place memorabilia for memories - as well as a good place to have lots of room for further adventures), but it won't be the sole way to interact with the game - as there will be many objects that can be clicked outside of that wall.

We're on Day 11, and I'm doing a big push to have the game be in a completely playable state by day 14, the end of Amnesia Fortnight (with text openings and endings and at least two fully playable hubs) - which is where the Forum Downtime Funtime Adventure ended up after roughly the same time period, so it's definitely doable. 

Development will continue past that, as I'll still be working on the game, and flesk mentioned he's interested in continuing too, but I'm really hoping to have the game to the level I stated in the Amnesia Adventure pitch thread once this Amnesia Fortnight is over.

We can certainly revisit the hub and the menu at that point.  But at this point, it's important to finish the work that's already been implemented as we push towards the end of our initial two week adventure. :D

EDIT: Actually - I thought of something that we could use for the sadly empty options menu - we could have the rotating menu be triggered by a button in the option menu - with the default being WavingPeople's concept.  I'll see if I can work that out in the next few days. :)

Yes, I'm definitely interested in continuing past the deadline, and I'm happy to see that more and more people are eager to contribute. :) I'm not convinced we're going to make the deadline at this point, since we got off to a bit of a slow start, but even so, I think it's more important that we all get a positive experience out of this. 

3 minutes ago, flesk said:

Yes, I'm definitely interested in continuing past the deadline, and I'm happy to see that more and more people are eager to contribute. :) I'm not convinced we're going to make the deadline at this point, since we got off to a bit of a slow start, but even so, I think it's more important that we all get a positive experience out of this. 

Definitely!  That's absolutely the most important thing! :) Although having something to show for our hard work is great too. :D

I just finished up the intro:

Opening1.png.dd610472508ffdf982415ccbc678b454.png

Today's Top Story: The world's most famous adventurer, who just turned 100, is at the Waning Wanderer Nursing Home, diving through hazy memories, trying to solve one last puzzle, which is believed to be a culmination of previous adventures. As the centurian tries to jog memories through items saved from these journeys, we all can't help but wonder: just what is this aged adventurer's "Rosebud"?

Nice intro Jenni! :)

I got some character sprites for the space adventure. Tomorrow I'll have the dialog lines, and hopefully @flesk has some time to help me implement it :hexiraz:

58fd4ece46fbe_Screenshotfrom2017-04-2402-00-57.thumb.png.b647d505c6c5ecc370812ab58bbd8ac7.png

As for the confusion over the design decisions I'm making during these last few hours, I created a post that addresses everything, and lays out the drawn back scope that the game is taking to get an Amnesia Fortnight build out in less than three days.

Basically, worry not if your ideas or concepts aren't in that build - we'll be continuing developing Amnesia Adventure after Amnesia Fortnight is over.  The scale is drawn back simply to allow us to use the assets we already have and to avoid feature creep in order to make a completely playable build by the end of Amnesia Fortnight.  After that period is done, we can extend the scope out as much as is needed, and include anything and everything that people want to put in it. :D

I got some character sprites for the space adventure. Tomorrow I'll have the dialog lines, and hopefully @flesk has some time to help me implement it :hexiraz:

58fd4ece46fbe_Screenshotfrom2017-04-2402-00-57.thumb.png.b647d505c6c5ecc370812ab58bbd8ac7.png

Awesome!  If you and flesk are done by the end of AF, I'd love to work it into the Amnesia Fortnight build - but if not - your scene will definitely be included in the builds after Amnesia Fortnight 2017 is over. :D I did use your concept art in one of the frames of the newscaster though, so your art will be in the Amnesia Fortnight build, no matter what. :)

4 hours ago, kednar said:

I'm not overly familiar with how to configure animations in Godot yet, but I know it's very easy to trigger them with event scripts once they're in place. I'll read up some more on that stuff on my way to and from work today. The rest should be simple.

When do you have time to go over this? I'm available for live collaboration via IRC, Jitsi or Google Hangout from around 19:00 UTC tonight if you want. 

2 hours ago, flesk said:

I'm not overly familiar with how to configure animations in Godot yet, but I know it's very easy to trigger them with event scripts once they're in place. I'll read up some more on that stuff on my way to and from work today. The rest should be simple.

When do you have time to go over this? I'm available for live collaboration via IRC, Jitsi or Google Hangout from around 19:00 UTC tonight if you want. 

For player animations in Escoria, you edit the AnimationPlayer node in player.tscn - simply click animation in the editor, and use the animation tool window to create extra frames - right click on the blue dot and duplicate it, then drag the blue dot to step 1, and then repeat for step 2, etc. (I set the animation for doug to run for a length of 5 instead of 1, and added 3 dots at step 2, 3, and 4).

To ease things, you could just copy the player.tscn from the doug scene, as it already has 4 frames for each walking movement (up, down, right) and then adjust that for your needs (when I copy a scene, I simply right click it to change dependencies to the assets that are going to be used for that room).

If you need help with this, or anything else (I've got a pretty firm grasp on the Godot editor now), let me know. :)

8 hours ago, Jenni said:

so your art will be in the Amnesia Fortnight build

Woohoo! Thanks @Jenni :)

50 minutes ago, Jenni said:

you could just copy the player.tscn from the doug scene, as it already has 4 frames for each walking movement

That sounds easy enough, I'll try myself! Escoria is where the puzzle scripting happens too, right? I heard something about logic nodes and so on... I'll check it out tonight with flesk!

3 hours ago, flesk said:

That sounds good! I'll look for you around that time. Meanwhile I'll fork the repo and play around with Escoria. Thanks a lot :D

Edited by kednar

I've been playing around a bit with the sourcecode that @flesk and @kednar have been working on for the space scene.

I like the click to bring up actions that it employs, so I've been toying with a verb coin interface:

I made a quick verb coin for the Doug the Ogre scene (using a medieval coin as a base):

verb-coin-jennibee.png.7570ead85f76629ab46026e2bbe7b1cc.png

Then I implemented it into the scene:

screenie.png.06a5b24c26e703cf7f3b60f4881650b9.png

I'm still working out how to get the action menu to properly work with the inventory, but it works well on everything else. :)