Double Fine Action Forums
Cheeseness

Introduce yourself!

Amnesia Adventure's development model is structured in a way that allows people to contribute to the game without necessarily knowing who their fellow contributors are. That's no reason for us to not all get to know each other though!

Introduce yourself, share what excites you about Amnesia Adventure, and if you're planning to work on something, what you're hoping to contribute! If you use a different username on IRC or GitHub, it wouldn't hurt to share those so that you're easier to recognise.

Hello! I'm Ben, I live in England, and I've worked on a couple of adventure games for Size Five Games, plus a few other little bits and pieces on my own for game jams and the like.

What excites me about Amnesia Adventure is getting to see everyone's creative input and styles smooshing together into one glorious, mismatched whole, and getting to work in a >2-person team comprising you fine people.

I'm planning to contribute design ideas, dialogue and probably some (rubbishy) art.

To break the ice, my name is Cheese (Cheeseness in most places, ValiantCheese where that's not available). I'm a solo indie game dev working on a bunch of weird and whacky projects, some of which are adventure games! I made Above The Waves, Robin's Rescue, and I'm also working on a sort of text adventure/first person hybrid game called Winter's Wake).

Last Amnesia Fortnight, I coordinated Bad Golf: Community Edition's development and we had a great time. I'm looking forward to Amnesia Adventure being just as much fun!

I'm not expecting to have much time for actual development (mostly I'm coordinating Pongball and running the mentor sessions), but I might jump in and contribute a few things here and there :)

If it's helpful to anybody, I also wrote a game jam survival guide for Adventure Jam that is likely to be relevant to people looking to work on Amnesia Adventure.

Hi everyone! I'm Pablo, freelance animator and game artist (beep boop).

I love the heterogeneous nature of this game! If we manage to keep the ambitions down and go for simple scenes I bet we can do a great game!

I'd love to contribute with art and animation. I think 2D cut-out animation could be nice, like a simplified version of Broken Age characters. I never used Godot but I'm looking forward to it and I always keep my workflow within libre software :D

10 minutes ago, TimeGentleman said:

Hey kednar, your stuff is great!

You're kiddin? It's an honor working with you (bows in reverence) :D

Hi friends!

I'm relatively new here (apparently I signed up in 2014 O.o), but I know @TimeGentleman from the Idle Thumbs community and would love to offer a hand with the art and design of the game.

I've been a fan of adventure games for many years now and have previously worked on a number of game jam projects, I don't have a specific art page yet but I've done art as well as design and development for most of the games in my portfolio below.

Current projects: https://mythalore.itch.io/

Extended portfolio: http://mythalore.com/

I've mainly focused on graphic art in the past but as far as more traditional stuff goes I did finish a piece last week which could make for an interesting concept, although I should probably post that in concept art, I guess? :)

I'm happy to work on UI design/graphics as well if needed.

Edited by Mythalore

Hi, @Mythalore! Welcome to the Amnesia Adventure team. We're happy to have you on board. :)

I forgot to introduce myself in this thread: I'm usually known as flesk or fleskesvor, and I'm also a fan of adventure games. I work as a so-called full-stack developer, but I have no experience with game development whatsoever, so I'm using this as an excuse to learn a little. (I have a few game projects brewing that I'm hoping to get started on after Amnesia Fortnight.) 

I'm also very excited about open-source software, so I'm happy that we're using the Godot engine for development. Plus, the editor works great on Linux. 

Hey all!

I'm Hien (pronounced like Ian with an H) otherwise known as WavingPeople or Taekon. I'm a 2D digital artist specializing in comics and storytelling. I don't really have a stable employment as of yet, and am pursuing indie comics while flinging resumes every which way.

I'm interested in Amnesia Adventure because I love stories! Storytelling is what I do and what I love doing. I won't be able to contribute much aside from assets for one or two rooms, but I'm very much looking forward to working with everyone! If anyone was around for Bad Golf: Community Edition, I contributed a few concept art pieces here and there. I really enjoyed my time on that project, so I hope this will be just as fun.

My art portfolio: https://hienpham.artstation.com/

Eep.  I just realized I never posted in here.  My name is Jenni, from New York in the USA.

I'm managing this project (alongside The Lost Dev Team) during this year's community Amnesia Fortnight. I previously managed the Forum Downtime Funtime Adventure that we did when this forum was being upgraded, and submitted art, music, and voice work to the Bad Golf: Community Edition during the last community Amnesia Fortnight.

I've also created a few games in my spare time that you can find at jennibee.itch.io if you're interested. :)

I'm Dan, wannabe programmer. Studying for a master's in game design at the moment which is unfortunately quite distracting at the moment so I don't know how much I'll be able to help during the rest of the fortnight but if the project goes on beyond that time frame, I'll be able and eager to help as much as I can. I don't have much experience of game dev outside of stuff I've done at uni over the past few years so this sort of experience would be invaluable for me and I really like the idea.

I have a portfolio of my work at danstokoe.wordpress.com as well some game prototypes at danstokoe.itch.io (things I've worked on in the past few months).

Edited by CorruptBiggins

Well hello there!

I'm Milan, currently writing my M.A. thesis about "Dialog Systems in Videogames" in Game Research & Development at the Cologne Game Lab. I'm good friends with @kednar and we've been roommates for a few years now. He's recruited me to write the dialog for the space scene, which I of couse am super happy to do!

I've played a bunch of adventure games in my youth, but apart from Broken Age the only narrative focused games I really liked in the past years were things that have less of a p'n'c vibe to it. Firewatch, Oxenfree, Night in the Woods etc. Haven't tried Thimbleweed Park yet. But I love Double Fine with all my heart, I love the community, I love what you're doing with the jam - I just had zero time until now to participate. But oh well, an afternoon of writing some cheesy one liners should be fine!

I have no portfolio to link to because I suffer from imposter's syndrome and never finish any prototypes. I mean, I was hired as lead designer and writer of Vive/Oculus/PSVR title Space Rift (http://store.steampowered.com/app/437080/) but I have a hard time recommending it to people (I'm also in no way responsible for that trailer :ph34r:).

I wish all of you the best for the continued development, hit me up if you have any questions about narrative structure, dialog lines or the like. I'm alway happy to help :)

Edited by germila

Cool, @germila! There's a couple of keynotes on youtube about dialogue systems in Double Fine games, have you seen them? One of them is called GGC 2015: Untitled Presentation by Anna Kipnis and another is Dialogue Systems in Double Fine Games on the GDC channel.

Yes, I was even lucky enough to attend that talk by Anna at GDC Europe and talk to her afterwards! It was one of the best talks I've ever seen, really detailed and with a lot of practical advice. hers and the talk by Elan Ruskin from Valve (http://gdcvault.com/play/1015528/AI-driven-Dynamic-Dialog-through) are my main sources when it comes to companies speaking about their approach.

Hi @etisdew and @germila! Exciting to have you join the team as well. :) Don't worry about not having had time to contribute much now. There is interest in keeping up with development past the end of AF, so there's still lots of time. :)

Aye Welcome @germila and @etisdew (I talked to the latter briefly on IRC, but just realized I never gave a proper welcome until now)!  We're approaching the end of the two week Amnesia Fortnight session.  Today's day 12 (with about 30 minutes to go, by California time), so we've got about two days left.  We're working on getting an Amnesia Fortnight build done, but the work won't stop there.  Both @flesk and myself will still be around to offer code to anyone who has ideas afterward.

It will be fun to see where the project goes once we have a more flexible schedule. :D

Amnesia Adventure started development 5 days late. There's a lot more than 2 days left ^_^

I didn't realize we started that late, but that explains why it feels like we ran out of time so fast. I'm more than happy to expand our initial deadline to over the weekend if that's what most people are keen on, and either way I'm happy to keep working on this until everyone who wants to have gotten their contributions into the game. :)