TimeGentleman

Amnesia Adventure Concept Brainstorming

I also forgot to mention the scar that identify's the adventurer throughout all of the memories.  Originally, I was thinking an X shaped mark on the face, but since we're mirroring sprites to keep the scope small, that wouldn't work.  I updated the scene using taekon's concept art to have an X shaped scar on each hand, since that would work better than an X on each cheek. :)

Just now, WavingPeople said:

@Cheeseness Fake memories would still be up on the wall, but instead of being a glorious memento they'd be like a DVD case taped to the wall / some trivial object attached to the wall instead of being mounted and the like. The wall can be easily adaptable to be something scale-able, but since I'm not calling the shots I'll leave it up to you folks. I might have a comic deadline I need to push for anyway so I might not have that much to contribute after all. Will keep y'all posted <3

Yeah, I was thinking that a wall that was easily extensible could be a really cool direction to go.

Are you imagining that "fake" memory stuff on the wall wouldn't be identifiable at all until the memory was explored? I'm feeling like we might need to obscure them more than having a silhouette - some kind of "foggy" cloud to further blur things up could help with the vague memory motif?

@Jenni I'd say a memorable item of clothing like a red scarf or something, would work just as well, since the variations are all the product of hazy memories the identifier doesn't need to be biological. Just thinking this way anything could be used to represent the character even if the character didn't have visible hands for scars or something.

Edited by Mythalore

I feel like maybe it shouldn't be too obvious, and should be something that isn't revealed until the player explores the memory a bit or solve the memory's puzzle(s). Otherwise, what are the stakes for a "fake" memory?

If I understood correctly, new memories unlock by finding mementos inside other memories.

If the character has amnesia, we could play with showing an exaggerated, exhalted version of a memory and then after finding another memento, show how it really was, a tragic or ridiculous event that one would be afraid or embarrased to remember.

tumblr_leu7c54QHR1qbrikgo1_500.png

Edited by kednar

6 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I feel like maybe it shouldn't be too obvious, and should be something that isn't revealed until the player explores the memory a bit or solve the memory's puzzle(s). Otherwise, what are the stakes for a "fake" memory?

My thoughts on this is that even the false memories would have the scar, as the amnesiac adventurer would think they were real memories when they began.  Maybe some false memories could have the scar fade once it becomes more clear that it's not a real memory (although we shouldn't require this for every false memory, simply to keep the scope simple, as we don't want to limit submissions).

13 hours ago, kednar said:

If I understood correctly, new memories unlock by finding mementos inside other memories.

I think this is what we're looking toward, but players still access those unlocked memories from the hub.

This raises a question that we haven't really discussed - how do players return to the hub from a memory (my thoughts are that whatever this mechanism is, it should be common and recognisable between memories so that players don't get lost/stuck)?

5 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

how do players return to the hub from a memory

I'd imagine that as soon as you find the memento, there's a short cutscene (just some text or zoom in into the memento) and it fades back to the hub.

Edited by kednar

1 minute ago, kednar said:

I'd imagine that as soon as you find the memento, there's a short cutscene (just some text or zoom in into the memento) and it fades back to the hub.

I feel like it's probably going to be important to allow players to back out of a memory that they don't feel like they're making any progress with and that there's probably likely to be some value in letting players have a few memories to choose from at any given time.

Welp turns out I'll have to colour 2 comic pages a day to make my next deadline. Apologies folks I really thought I could help out but I don't think I can anymore :( Good luck though! Looking forward to the finished product!

2 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I feel like it's probably going to be important to allow players to back out of a memory that they don't feel like they're making any progress with

I'd think just a small back button in the top left or something would probably work, maybe have it fade out when not hovering over it to keep it out of the way.

10 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I feel like it's probably going to be important to allow players to back out of a memory that they don't feel like they're making any progress with and that there's probably likely to be some value in letting players have a few memories to choose from at any given time.

Maybe something akin to the creature in Psychonauts that will bring you back to parts you visited before.  Maybe something that the adventurer is fond of, like a teddy bear from childhood?

It would be neat to have a motif that memory creators could depict in their scenes' style. In the short term, it's probably best to go with Mythalore's suggestion since that's something that doesn't have the risk of a memory creator forgetting to add it in.

10 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

It would be neat to have a motif that memory creators could depict in their scenes' style. In the short term, it's probably best to go with Mythalore's suggestion since that's something that doesn't have the risk of a memory creator forgetting to add it in.

That sounds like a good idea for the short term.

The beauty of Godot is that we can use a simple button for the short term, and then make that button an object later as a long-term goal, without having to change the functionality. :D All of the objects that can be clicked on in the hub to transport the character to a memory are actually buttons within the Godot engine. :D

On 4/20/2017 at 5:54 PM, Cheeseness said:

I'm playing a bit with the idea that the return to hub button would reflect the scene's style. :) I'm working on putting this into the Doug the Ogre memory:

hub-return-jennibee.png

Here's a story for the space scene!

You might want to download them and zoom in:

story_kednar1_001.thumb.jpg.dd22524f9dd24e2bd3f929c8d220fe38.jpgstory_kednar1_002.thumb.jpg.06661663cd421feccf0a3065294a60f0.jpg

My friend Milan is writing the dialogs, he'll join us on Monday for the last push!

Gameplay implementation:

1. Movement option A: The character is spinning and players time right the propulsion. They activate propulsion by clicking on the character. Momentum is conserved.
  2. Inventory: No inventory, players just have to collect the items when they are in range.
  3. Trigger dialogs when:
    1. Nearby an object
    2. Bouncing off the screen.
    3. Clicking on any item out of picking range to "examine" them (spaceship is always out of range)
    4. Collecting an item.
  4. ...

Edited by kednar

On 4/15/2017 at 5:34 AM, Cheeseness said:

Totally dig protagonist metamorphosis and some kind of persistent identifying feature!

If there's some kind of main hub that showed the memories that the adventurer currently had access to, perhaps UI/controls for indicating which memories are real and which aren't could be situated there. I'd envision that it'd be possible to wrongly identify a memory - I feel like that would be important, but I'm totally torn between whether would work best if it were critical to the game to identify real memories (perhaps to narrow down/solidify the collection of clues you've collected along the way and discard red herrings? Or maybe if you pick a certain set as being real, you turn out to be the mastermind criminal, hiding in your own past, while a different set reveals you to be an unwilling carrier of secret information that's been injected into your memory by an underground organisation to avoid falling into the authorities' hands) or of no consequence (only impacts on how the player sees/believes in the protagonist's past - KR0's early acts do some wonderful stuff like this where instead of impacting on the future, your choices expose characters' pasts and shift the context for the present).

Perhaps the clues the player collects from within memories are metaphorical jigsaw puzzle pieces that need to be assembled correctly as an end-game puzzle to reveal/confirm the mystery.

I dig the idea of triggers opening up new memories. I did something similar in a game I made a while back where you play as an old woman with memory problems. Items in the present that reminded her of the past became doorways to memories, and out-of-place elements in those scenes opened up new memories from the hub area. I think it worked really well.

My initial thought was an old man with Alzheimer trying to figure out what he was doing while past and present blurred. Very emotionally pulling for a protagonist, if we make this a jarring experience sympotheticly but seeing the tone hasn't gone dark yet there are plenty of linear options to touch existential themes and pull real emotion from the user. I buy that crap immediately. 

By working out of the present just making the scenes a desired outcome for exploration of content. Maybe search for memories based on proximity detection of/or conditions and when successful in examination it gives you a chance to be observant of that scene. Making memory searches a reward and focus to complete a realtime task, but openning deeper content and veering away from dark subject matter towards a linear goal with multiple outcomes.

Welcome, etisdew!

I think with the time remaining during Amnesia Fortnight, expanding Amnesia Adventure's focus to include realtime gameplay and shifting the story away from the "metamorphosising space adventurer exploring memories to solve a mystery by finding clues in the past" plot that we've settled on might be too big a jump to be considering right now. You might be able to find some way to frame your ideas as something that takes place within one memory though if you keep the scope down!

I might shuffle your last comment there over to the introductions thread where it's a better fit :)

13 hours ago, kednar said:

Here's a story for the space scene!

You might want to download them and zoom in:

story_kednar1_001.thumb.jpg.dd22524f9dd24e2bd3f929c8d220fe38.jpgstory_kednar1_002.thumb.jpg.06661663cd421feccf0a3065294a60f0.jpg

My friend Milan is writing the dialogs, he'll join us on Monday for the last push!

Gameplay implementation:

1. Movement option A: The character is spinning and players time right the propulsion. They activate propulsion by clicking on the character. Momentum is conserved.
  2. Inventory: No inventory, players just have to collect the items when they are in range.
  3. Trigger dialogs when:
    1. Nearby an object
    2. Bouncing off the screen.
    3. Clicking on any item out of picking range to "examine" them (spaceship is always out of range)
    4. Collecting an item.
  4. ...

I love this ^_^

At this stage, a few things feel a bit ambitious. I'd suggest substituting cutscenes with still images as placeholders (which you could replace with animated cutscenes once everything else was implemented). I'd stick with normal point and click movement mechanics for now and communicate propulsion through animation. I think you could trigger your "bouncing off the screen" behaviour by having clickable regions around the edges of the screen - when you click on one, you can trigger desired actions/text after the player arrives there.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

I'd stick with normal point and click movement

Roger. That way it can be implemented the same way as the other scenes. We just wanted to spice it a little, maybe in further development? Are you guys planning on working on this after Wednesday?

I'm definitely up for keeping the project going, haven't even posted my memory concept yet xD and it would just be a shame to stop the project now.

Edited by Mythalore

I'm also keen on working on this after AF, and hopefully we'll be able to get those great ideas in that are probably too ambitious for us to implement right now. Glad to see that so many of you are excited about this. :)

Right now the objects that are found at the end of each memory goes into the inventory - which will quickly clog things once we get more memories.  We need a better way to handle this, and I was thinking about reintroducing the Hall of Adventure idea that @WavingPeople had and @Mythalore was working on - with a different, but significant purpose.

When memories are completed, we remove the object that led to that memory from the hub - but instead we add the object that was found in the memory to the hall of adventure. That way, we can have an easy setup for the puzzle that reveals what the adventurer has been searching for, once we decide what that idea will be. :D

screenie.png.4cef1dcd4877a3a35c52e5c8e8a69ec9.png

Oh, and in case you were wondering - I added the screw to the inventory after the space memory ends, as kednar stated in the original space pitch idea, so the item that gets you to the space memory is now a model of the space ship.

Oh, and I did a little bit of animating of the 70s cop memory that @Cheeseness put up on the assets repo (the player is just a placeholder for now). :)

screenie.gif.80fc79d777f25d0a97e1bceb6a4a70c8.gif

This is so cool @Jenni! I like that the spaceship takes you there and the Master Screw is the memento you bring back ^^