Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zak McClendon

Sorry to say we might nave SOME idea what we're doing...

I'm in on Sunday to work ahead of the team a bit, so I thought I'd finally get up and active on these here forums! Thanks for the interest and ideas, everybody!

It's been a whirlwind first 3 days for AF. The team has been incredibly productive and it's been a super fun, high energy environment. The tech team (Amy, Anna, and Aaron) has been really productive and some of the stuff we've gotten up and running so far:

• We got Rifts or Vives working for everyone! 
  • Hands! You can grab stuff!
  • Physics! You can throw stuff! Some stuff is floppy!
  • Second Screen! We can render out something different for the players who aren't in VR! (This turned out to be kind of hard.)
  • Main Menu & Game Flow! You can load a series of games!
  • Game Rules! The games have "tasks" that can require a time limit and you can succeed or fail at them!

All that that sounds a little dry, but it does mean we have the basic infrastructure for making the whole game pretty much in place and (hopefully) the next week can be spent jamming on content. Speaking of content, we also nailed down out basic art style, as seen in this quick reference sheet Emily put together. We're going for bright, rubbery, and simple. Hopefully something that feels bold and playful, so the weird situations we put you in have a bit of levity.  

Idontknow_Ref.thumb.jpg.ef9b5932a8017d8a3b74b1cb29d96a53.jpg

After that we've started jamming on a lot of "pilot assets" that we'll eventually edit and revise to unify the whole aesthetic.  Things like, say, this floppy hammer Will built (and Tazio flopified):

FlacidHammer.gif.4e620e0a22bf346ceaa6f5d77aa1b018.gif

Or this Pickle Miyuki drew!

58f3f434f0d67_ImageuploadedfromiOS.thumb.jpg.3fcbf0d32ed5c37ea9f54c2383926376.jpg

(This pickle also has led us to consider attaching googly eyes to everything that react when you pick them up. We'll see if that happens!)

Right now, we're in the middle of implementing a first "real" but simple game we're calling Tennis Hell, where an Angry Tennis God throws random objects at you and you have to hit them with a variety of weird rackets and giant floppy steaks and such. (James is working on scripting & Amy and Aaron are working on gameplay support for this when they aren't debugging physics.)

art1.jpg.47fe10fbee625403a0c11a15a2aa5a58.jpgTennisnHell.thumb.jpg.31bdd90997d2944ba235f707bde7cae8.jpg

The tennis game was meant to be a pretty straightforward test of our systems and getting the whole thing running, so it might not ship with the prototype. BUT it's starting to get weird and we like it, so maybe it will! (Also, the whole thing should get weirder from here.)

We also had a HUGE brainstorm with the whole team and special guest Pen Ward on the first day!

somanyhands.thumb.jpg.17cd7a2ea46320f835b7770b84d9d7ce.jpg

IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.6290e91bf41fc3e58c192968db788b3b.JPG

We have way, way more ideas than we can use and I'm in today narrowing that list down to only the finest, most absurd ones. We'll pick finalists on Monday, prioritize them, break them into asset lists / feature needs, and start cramming them into the game all next week!

What else? We also met with our AWESOME guest star composer Adam Drucker aka Doseone, who you might know from his work on Gang Beasts, Nuclear Throne, Catacomb Kids, etc. etc. He's going to be doing a TON of new compositions for us (which we are very, very thankful for). More on those soon!

Phew. That's about it for now! I'll try to answer any questions y'all have and please let me know if you have any especially weird dumb ideas you'd like to suggest! You can also follow me on the twitter (@zakmcc) if you want more up-to-the-minute silly GIFs.

Thanks!

This is looking fantastic already!

Thats so cool that you had Pen Ward in to help. I cant wait to see what ideas have been generated.

I posted an idea in the other thread I'll post it here again if this is the thread for it.

What about a mini game where there is a large dinosaur and you have to feed it the right object based on what kind of teeth it has, a floppy t-bone steak if it has canine teeth, or some nice leafy greens it it has molars?

Wardy Arties!

Man, I need a Vive or Occulus Rift... not that it'd matter since my current rig isn't VR ready so THAT first...*sigh*...

This is sounding so fun that if I had a VR system I could probably convince people to come over to play!

This looks really fun, love all the ideas!

So what will the non-VR players' goal(s) be, @Zak McClendon? Guessing what's going on from the clues onscreen and the VR player's actions? Or will they get some info that the VR player doesn't so they can shout out advice/directions?

Really excited for this one. A full game which is kind of like a 'Happy Action Theatre for VR' partygame would simply rock and, I suspect, easily become one of the more popular VR games on Steam. The early ideas are looking great and it's going to be exciting to see the vibrant creativity of Double Fine applied to VR in a context like this game which is so creatively open for experimentation and diversity of gameplay ideas.

Some of the ideas here, for instance the periscope hand one, hint at some cool new ways for the VR player and players\viewers outside VR to coordinate and interact. For instance what if the non-VR screen only sees what the periscope hand is pointing at, so there is some discussion and collaboration involved in revealing the hints to the outside-VR players, that they then must interpret and share with the VR player, so that they know what final action is required to complete the puzzle. I'm sure you guys are already onto this and better ideas.

Godspeed!

Edited by edit

Super duper stoked about this one!

Would love to hear more about solving the second screen problem, because I haven't heard of anyone pulling it off in Unreal yet. The best I've seen in Unreal involved running two instances of the app and replicating everything as networked (blech!) Did you have to write custom renderer code?

1 hour ago, ninjaboyjohn said:

Super duper stoked about this one!

Would love to hear more about solving the second screen problem, because I haven't heard of anyone pulling it off in Unreal yet. The best I've seen in Unreal involved running two instances of the app and replicating everything as networked (blech!) Did you have to write custom renderer code?

This is actually what we're doing, as it was the shortest path to getting something up and running ASAP. Aaron probably has some ideas on how we might want to do it longer term, but we're sticking to fast and hacky for AF!

You  have SOME idea what you’re doing? This is outrageous. I was sold a bill of goods, sir! I demand more incompetence from this team at once!

At least there's less horsing around this time. AF2014 was lousy in that regard. :P

Edited by Talahar

4 hours ago, Talahar said:

At least there's less horsing around this time. AF2014 was lousy in that regard. :P

As evidenced by your avatar

2 minutes ago, Geek95 said:

As evidenced by your avatar

Obviously. :P

And @ninjaboyjohn was always quick with horse pun on top of that back then. It was quite the ride.

I am actually looking forward to this more than before since I saw the art direction and the sketches of game environments. Great!

I think a cafeteria food fight could be a funny scenario to be in in VR. Especially if you have no idea what you're doing.
That was smooth how I said that too.

Edited by Dungeon Stone

To vary up gameplay, it looks like a lot of those ideas could be combined differently for each game. Like "You're the tooth fairy, but you have babies for hands" or "Tennis hell, but hands are snakes", etc. Or mix it up like: "one hand baby, one hand beehive". Anyway, it's looking like a lot of goofy fun! I like that art style and floppy effect!

I'm eager to hear how you're going to give an incomplete picture to both parties in the game.  So far it sounds like the person in VR could discern their purpose with a little trial and error and no outside help.

I only have a dk2, take it A) it won't work with it and B) probably not worth it anyway as I have no hand tracking? :P

Looks great guys.

4 hours ago, bobbylox said:

Has anyone been able to get their steam key to work?  It seems like Steam ate my key.

Unfortunately, there are some issues with the Steam keys:

Sign in to follow this