Double Fine Action Forums
RenderG

I Completed the game and my thoughts on it

Yep, It is done. And i feel like in different ways.

What I liked is the old music by Gone Jackals, old game, and the feel of the game. It is great, really. I could write here how good is that game, but you know it yourself.

Literally, I just got back to ninety`s.

What I did not like: Not seamless and not smooth transitions between scenes (hope this will be fixed, but it feels bad like music just tears up suddenly, you get ` sec of black screen and coming to another screen). Controls. Really, on old mine road controls felt like resin. I smash like a crazy with the LMB, and ben just hits 1/3 of a times. Old version i played on scummvm on my smartphone last summer did not get that issue, same as old version from my cd. Also I didn`t like FPS limit. I can understand when each frame must be drawn or rendered. Ok, but when subtitles roll jerky. C`mon it`s 2017.

Backgrounds. Well, let`s be honest. Backgrounds are way much worse than characters. The look like they just been traced in illustrator.

Still this is the best gaming experience I recieved in a few past years. Great thanks to DF!

Now it is time to a walkthrough with commentary.

Many of the backgrounds from what I have seen DO look like they've just put some cheap supersai filter or something over them. I can almost make out the original pixels. That was disappointing. Haven't played it myself yet, though.

I'm not sure what happened with this remaster. It's kind of a mess. The characters look way more crisp than the backgrounds. I've also noticed a bunch of bugs that we found in the nit-picking thread that weren't addressed for launch. Maybe I'm more critical of this remaster because it's one of my favorite games. Then again, it feels like such a drop in quality compared to the remasters before it.

I will say that the audio is great and I'm happy to see so much concept art was recovered.

Edited by cavefish
Linked thread.

Is it possible that a filter was applied to the backgrounds and then only certain elements of them were touched up by hand?  It kinda looks that way.  Strange.

I can only agree to everything that's been said here... It's a shame that the quality of this remaster can't compete with the previous releases... especially since it's my second favorite LucasArts adventure right after Monkey Island...

On 2017-4-18 at 6:17 PM, Right Said Brett said:

Is it possible that a filter was applied to the backgrounds and then only certain elements of them were touched up by hand?  It kinda looks that way.  Strange.

There's definitely times where that's been done, but it's not very often and tends to be on organic shapes and blurry things. I'm happy with that myself.

27 minutes ago, ThunderPeel said:

There's definitely times where that's been done, but it's not very often and tends to be on organic shapes and blurry things. I'm happy with that myself.

Aye, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  I'm very happy to have a remaster of 'Full Throttle' and my issues with it are more nitpicks than anything else.

Indeed. It's not like I wish it didn't exist at all. The high quality music alone is quite the boon.

Question for those who have played, is the classic digital SC-55 score still in 22khz mono? Or is that higher quality as well?

It would definitely make sense that a filter was appiled to the backgrounds first. It might have been applied to everything first, and they never got around to fixing the backgrounds fully. This remaster demanded a lot of work, and I'm guessing they didn't get a lot more money for it than they did for DOTT. In fact, having seen how Double Fine operates (in the videos), I would guess that they gave Disney about the same price tag as for DOTT, assuming that the fact that this is their 3rd remaster would allow them to make it more easily. And yet, in addition to the work DOTT needed (hi-res backgrounds, recreate audio, hi-res characters, record music), they needed to completely redo the 3d models, paint every video scene over, and expand the backgrounds to widescreen. They probably prioritized the background updates with the lowest priority -- to do only if they had money/time left. Seems like they ran out of resources before the backgrounds were fully done.