kednar

Art assets

Hey everyone. I thought it would be nice to have a thread with our art assets with their description and implementation instructions. If you like this idea, help me out shaping its contents.

Here's an example for the slinky paddle concept.

File:
pongball-assets/models/kednar/paddle_k1.fbx

Image of the asset:

58f75a529fc8f_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1914-38-34.png.2aa763608cc35e55f80bee76be447bd2.png

What does it do:

It moves along the goal line. Players hold a key to "pull" it as a slingshot, and then release the key to hit the ball. The direction of the ball can be determined by the longitudinal point of hit, as in a classic paddle.

Animation:

• pull (frames 1 to 11)
  • release (1-19)

paddle_kednar1_ani.gif

Aesthetic (wrt lighting, texturing, etc):

The paddle glows with its own light. The main surface is semitransparent, while the edges are shadeless.

paddle_kednar1.gif

Implementation notes:

The FBX file contains 2 animations.

Implementation alternative 1: it could be implemented so it only plays the "release" animation when it hits the ball.

Implementation alternative 2: It could also be implemented without animations, having the players control the "slingshot" bone, so the animation would be generated using physics.

Note: There's a little bug when importing FBX files from Blender into Unity: the animations have names like "Armature|pull" and if you wish to duplicate and modify the animation, you'll need to rename them, removing the "|" symbol.

Edited by kednar
clarity

Here's another paddle: a robot character inspired by @KGuNN's concept

File: (.unitypackage) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzbr-lJdr9JIem8tSXV6cFNSM2M/view

58f77c812fe82_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1917-03-59.png.a999c57429878bc64f87d072870d2d81.png58f77c80596ae_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1917-03-40.png.4d0590cd4839d1a989319941fddfed7d.png

58f79bad72529_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1917-29-09.thumb.png.5f1d7b9fa5b87f55c87a954392838694.png

What does it do:

It works as a traditional paddle, moving up and down. There are 4 color variants.

Animation:

It has four animations:

• idle (20 frames)
  • hit (15 frames)
  • moving_L (left, relative to character, single frame to blend)
  • moving_R (right, relative to character, single frame to blend)

paddle_k2.gif.a1f802b75a273727f082a50e7ecf69ca.gifpaddle_k2_hit.gif.d4e90481811a5cd75440618b096c98e1.gif

The .unitypackage file has an animation controller that I made as placeholder. It works but feel free to re-do it ?

58f79aa60e55b_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1919-13-00.png.25efd7f77be4c9632e6859a9e06164f8.png

Aesthetics:

There's no UV mapping, I assigned different materials to the polygons in Blender, and Unity keeps it that way. The materials in unity have to be Unlit/Color, except for the semi-transparent paddle panel that is Standard/Transparent.

There are four players with different materials.

58f7c00571126_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1921-52-17.png.7136bf64c794e609c8e807e8322d0f97.png

Implementation notes:

I packed everything on the .unitypackage file. It probably needs re-scaling. There are 4 prefabs, one for each player. They share the armature and animation controller, they have different meshes and materials.

Edited by kednar

As discussed on the video meeting, we will give some nice colors to the tablets and assets that don't have texture nor shading. This could be done just by changing the material color of the assets in Unity.

Everyone can do this their own table, or tell me if you want me to do it.

Here are some nice palettes to pick up: http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes/most-loved/all-time/meta

so I'm pretty dang excited by this final logo I made here.  

If someone  @Cheeseness or @lightsoda who really understands how to plugin to github without having to upload to my own repository then make the pull request without accidentally making the pull request in the wrong place could get this in there for me, that'd be awesome.

I have the PSD file too if someone wants that to mess around with it.  I don't know what the build could handle.   If we had more time I'd want those panels on the side changing light and for the Amnesia head to be spinning.  

pongballsuper copy.png

Edited by Reid_Harris_Cooper
corrected image.

@Reid_Harris_Cooper that has been merged into the assets repo now. In future, please follow the instructions in the FAQ thread and ask me so that I can get approval before contributing anything containing DF branding.

We'll try and get it into the game soon!

40 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

@Reid_Harris_Cooper that has been merged into the assets repo now. In future, please follow the instructions in the FAQ thread and ask me so that I can get approval before contributing anything containing DF branding.

We'll try and get it into the game soon!

I had no problem before with Github in terms of adding the assets.  Also, I honestly didn't think I'd need to worry about using the AF logo. If it makes it into the game, sweet, if it doesn't... I had fun making it.

@KGuNN has made a new theme for the Speedster map. The ramp UVs are messed up, but otherwise, it looks pretty slick!

speedster2.png

Thanks for sorting that out Cheeseness, oops I forgot to mention that there's a new bridge geo in that fbx too. 

Edited by KGuNN
Typo from autocorrect

3 hours ago, KGuNN said:

Thanks for sorting that out Cheeseness, oops I forgot to mention that there's a new bridge geo in that fbx too. 

That should've come in automatically so far as I can tell - or did that need to be moved out into the bridge prefab manually? I pulled the bridge prefab out of your variant because it's so table specific. Maybe it makes sense to just include that in the table geo now?

There was a separate fbx for the bridge when I updated it, so that scene must still have that bridge in there, which can be hidden/deleted. The new fbx had all the table geo in, no extra variant stuff

Okay I've had a go at a take on the logo, let me know what you think. :)

Logo_V7.thumb.png.97dc112a1fe690c8c1d24ce3eb31699f.png

EDIT: I've changed the text colour to better match the current menu background

How about the ball as the app logo?

Icon_64x.png.63cd97585d39c313feed96fb0aac593e.png

@Cheeseness told me we needed one and I find I really like using simple, iconic elements as app icons for my games. 

Also if there's a ball colour or style that's more prevalent let me know, I'm just going off of what I've seen most in screenshots.

Edited by Mythalore
Updated logo text colour

I like it.   It should be really easy to add logos to the logoswitcher.  There are some text doc directions for it as well.  I think thats in the folder the UI assets are in on the pongball repo.

As for icon, since there will be only one, we might want to have a vote on it.  This being the only icon so far would put it in the lead.

3 hours ago, Mythalore said:

Okay I've had a go at a take on the logo, let me know what you think. :)

Logo_V7.thumb.png.97dc112a1fe690c8c1d24ce3eb31699f.png

EDIT: I've changed the text colour to better match the current menu background

How about the ball as the app logo?

Icon_64x.png.63cd97585d39c313feed96fb0aac593e.png

@Cheeseness told me we needed one and I find I really like using simple, iconic elements as app icons for my games. 

Also if there's a ball colour or style that's more prevalent let me know, I'm just going off of what I've seen most in screenshots.

Here's what I had in mind for an icon (has a glow effect visible on dark backgrounds). It's based on a combination of kednar's ball concept and the first ball we had in the codebase. I think I'll slot this one in for now, and after all the AF stuff winds down, we can look at having a group decision on something more permanent for the project.

icon_concept3.png.1d8251ea37a4db31f762001874e40eb6.pngicon_concept3a.png.5dce65a7765385c7a7a66fd52544faea.png

27 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

Here's what I had in mind for an icon

That's great, 3D UI is definitely a better fit for the project.

Might be a bit off balance though, I'd probably shrink/lose the shadow and make the ball larger to fit the square.

But it's up to you. :)

Edited by Mythalore

Ooh nice. I like that!