David Hellman

BLOWIN UP orientation / matriculation / briefing / debriefing

Hello! BLOWIN UP is the AF prototype being made by three indies:

BLOWIN UP is a massively multiplayer game about bombing your way to the center of the island before the other teams get there. It promises to be fun, chaotic and yes: explosive.

We're just getting started but I'll be posting some concept art very soon, and more stuff as the project comes together. Let us know if you have any questions or ideas or whatever!

We're honored to be part of the amazing Double Fine action and we hope you like BLOWIN UP!

Blowin Up Humble wide.jpg

Edited by David Hellman

Here are some character designs I did in the last coupe days while talking with Justin. Since it's a bit Bomberman-like, we thought it would be more interesting to stay away from the familiar chibi soldier and do something totally different. Justin was the one to suggest the character might have a weird gaping mouth. Maybe he actually spits out the bombs, like vomits them up? Why do I keep thinking about throwing up lately…

mouth thing 1.jpg

Mouth_guy_variants.jpg

Mouth_guy_variants_2.jpg

Mouth_guy_hair.jpg

Thanks Reid!

Okay here are some more things. By the way, I'm the newest member of the team; Justin and Alex have been talking about the idea for a while. Today we started working as a group and clarifying a lot of things, but yesterday I did some brainstorming on my own. Not sure what's going to fit and make it into the final thing, but here are some ideas I had.

Jelly Blob Bombs – these are really simple looking, would read clearly and since they're jelly they can stick if we want 'em to. Since the game is all about climbing up this mountain at the center of the island, I figure we don't want the bombs rolling back down towards you all the time. Also thought they might be combine-able into a big bomb??

Destructible objects – Sounds like we might do something very different, but I was thinking we might have one type of blue(?) bomb-able rock so it's very clear what can be exploded. Was thinking about how bombing stuff could allow you to progress or screw over your opponents!

Environment – Thinking about flow through the world, going from the outskirts of the island to the center. Since there can be up to 100 players, I figure it'll be sort of like running through Walmart on Black Friday, finding the most direct path and avoiding choke points where groups of people are clumping up.

jelly blob bombs.jpg

explosions 1.jpg

Bomb_the_World.jpg

Avenues_and_impediments.jpg

Ah man this looks really great! Like that the differences are just fashionable hair dues.

How do the creatures run, like with their head straight or tilted up like a crazy person?

9 hours ago, UNACCEPTABLE said:

Ah man this looks really great! Like that the differences are just fashionable hair dues.

How do the creatures run, like with their head straight or tilted up like a crazy person?

They kind of waddle around like a chubby circus clown. One of our ideas is that you can tilt their head in order to adjust the trajectory of their liquid ballistic fury. We aren't quite there yet. :D

This looks so amazing! Good luck getting something up and running, the 100 person multiplayer is super exciting. I absolutely love the different explosion puzzles! Reminding me a lot of fat princess.

The image of the last twenty or so all rushing up that final spiral is really cool - like a Mad Mad Mad World type caper!

Will there be the option to get a bird's eye replay of the match, perhaps sped up? Feels like it would have the same satisfying vibe as Super Meat Boy replaying all your attempts simultaneously.