• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
fragmental

PongBall Dev Video Chat Meetup

I'm workshopping the idea of having some sort of voice or video chat meeting.  Maybe through google hangouts (or similar). The idea is to get everyone in one place for 30 minutes to hash things out and make sure we're all on the same page.  

Talk about what we've been working on and what we plan to work on.  Share ideas.   Share screens.  Ask questions. Answer questions.  Get instant feedback. Maybe record it all for log keeping and so people who couldn't make it can see/hear.  

As for the time, I was thinking that a lot of people seem to be available before the live streams so maybe 1-2 hours before that?

In order to keep the meeting moving along, and not go over time, I think it would be good to have a loose agenda beforehand.  For example:

• Gameplay discussions(discussing what we can do to make the game more fun)
  • Level design discussions
  • Programming discussions

And then after the planned discussion has been taken care of we can talk about any technical issues a person might be having (issue with git or anything someone might have struggled with).  Maybe split off into different hangouts to address specific issues.

Feel free to post about whether you would or would not be interested, offer times you would be available, and offer suggestions.

Edited by fragmental
changed title.

I like the idea. I feel like voice chat is really good for getting a lot of decisions made and things sorted. 

44 minutes ago, kyle3wynn said:

I like the idea. I feel like voice chat is really good for getting a lot of decisions made and things sorted. 

That was my thoughts, as well.  Speaking of, I should probably add sound to any loose agenda.

Really great idea! (I love how that all of our avatars are monochromatic)

I'll be up for this!

Would you be keen on using an open standard instead of Google Hangouts? They dropped support for Firefox and that alone pisses me off.

We could use talky.io or https://meet.jit.si/

1 hour before the livestream might be too early for @Cheeseness!

Edited by kednar

yh this sounds like a great idea.
Relaying info on the IRC via text can get complicated and difficult to explain things. So I'd absolutely be up for a hangout style group chat

7 hours ago, kednar said:

I'll be up for this!

Would you be keen on using an open standard instead of Google Hangouts? They dropped support for Firefox and that alone pisses me off.

We could use talky.io or https://meet.jit.si/

1 hour before the livestream might be too early for @Cheeseness!

yeah.  I'm open to other possible software.  Whichever is best for the most people.  Looking at Jitsi it seems like it may have some advantages.

The time is certainly flexible.  As for days I was thinking we should try for Saturday or Sunday.  That's kind of short notice, but it might be easier since it's a weekend?

3 hours ago, KGuNN said:

Relaying info on the IRC via text can get complicated and difficult to explain things. So I'd absolutely be up for a hangout style group chat

I agree.  On purpose of this is kind of just to set a precedent for a more fluid exchange of information like "Yeah, hop in hangouts/jitsi/etc. for 5 minutes and I'll show you" instead of "here, let me spend 15+ minutes trying to describe everything through text on irc"

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?p0=1440&iso=20170421T21&msg=Community AF Catchup
So that's the time.  11:00 PM UTC.  BYOC.  Bring refreshments - I've got the plates.

I'm aiming for 30 minutes.  Everyone is welcome, including lurkers, but I'd like to keep the topic on pongball, at least until we're done talking about pongball.

Current flexible discussion list:

• Direction/Goals for last stretch of AF
  • Gameplay discussions(discussing what we can do to make the game more fun)
  • Level design discussions
  • Programming discussions
  • Art/SFX/Aesthetic discussions
  • Sound discussions

I welcome any and all suggestions/input.  Here, or irc, or anywhere.
I made a google drive document that anyone can edit.  Go nuts!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qtevRKQnBtdqe1cIXFq_W_nVNDBBiruk5g4kHOepWeE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by fragmental
Forgot to post the goole drive link...

This is great fragmental! I'm looking forward to it.

IMO, the meet up was a huge success.

Even though it did go a (little) overtime.

Someone suggested doing one every day, for the next two days.  Ideally it would be much shorter, just  15-30 min. to talk about what we had worked on and what we were planning on working and maybe facilitate that.  Then we could all split off and work.

Time could be two hours before the stream.

I agree it was a huge success and I'd love to do similar the next couple of days!

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here.  I can hide it, if you like.

Here's some disorganized notes from the meeting.  I probably should have shared them early, but I knew it was just kind of a jumble of words
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UppGB3dwEddKg2IyVvyXnr77QPb9CSTTG3NETS3Z9-o/edit?usp=sharing
Here's a sort of more condensed list of notes
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qtevRKQnBtdqe1cIXFq_W_nVNDBBiruk5g4kHOepWeE/edit?usp=sharing