Sign in to follow this  
Devin Kelly-Sneed

Days 7 and 8

Somehow ended up busy and didn't get around to doing an update yesterday. Tons of stuff is going in fast. Over the last two days it suddenly feels like we have a game.

I spent yesterday working on combat. Last night I did my first rough tuning pass on all of the combat related parameters in the game. Today we reworked player movement while attacking creatures to have a little bit of lock on. We also added a second species of creature which adds more variety to the combat. The actual world is getting built out with awesome art. And today we were figuring out how to distribute the creature populations across the island. Some screens have been hooked up: title, pause, death, win.

Death Screen (versions from yesterday and today)

screen_shot_2017-04-20_at_4_00.43_pm.png.8cc74e8d962b769bff1324a659ccb4dd.png

screen_shot_2017-04-21_at_2_14.37_pm.thumb.png.b6aa7f7399d4a401efc94a2fe980c196.png

Some Gameplay (seems to be playing at 2x speed, guess I need to figure out how to make gifs correctly)

combat2.gif.1c2e047341272432be99486c7a8f0ac3.gif

For some strange reason this looks Bone vs. The Rat Creatures to me... which is a good thing.

Wouldn't a spear kind of weapon that could be crafted and re-picked wherever it fell + staying on creatures' bodies etc. better? Guess it's too late for this but melee here doesn't seem to be flowing well. Visuals are very good though.

Concerning the death screens: It may be dependent on how frequently players are expected to die but to me the slight-only differences between the screens seem off.
Don't get me wrong: They articulate perfectly what just happened and why, hands down. They just feel a little "artificially, uncanny" to me because the overall composition is so samey. Maybe a little change in the corpse's pose would do the trick, just like a variety of death animations even for the same reason does.

Chances are I am stressing this way to much because it is clear from the concept sketches how just a few layers of "death by creature" had been retouched for "death by radiation", and this won't translate into the later outcome.