Jenni

Amnesia Adventure Side Project Demo Is Out Now :D

EDIT 3 (May 11, 2017) It's been updated with all of the changes since Amnesia Fortnight ended. You can try it for Windows, Mac, or Linux at https://jennibee.itch.io/amnesia-adventure

EDIT 2 (April 27, 2017): It's out now for Windows, Mac, and Linux.:D

EDIT: This is happening on my own branch.  My silly little ending idea won't be part of the official project.  We'll still be working out everything collaboratively after Amnesia Fortnight ends, because this project is all about fun and coming together to make something we can all be proud of making. :D

We're now in the last hours of Amnesia Fortnight! That's right: with less than three days left until we hit our fourteenth day of developing, we can now count the time to the end in hours instead of days!

I've seen some posts of people with questions about the game's development at this stage, so I thought I'd create this handy dandy post to sum things all up.

First of all, both myself and @flesk have commented that we'll be continuing to develop Amnesia Adventure past Amnesia Fortnight, so if you are interested in making assets for the game after Amnesia Fortnight 2017 is over, fret not, as you'll still get the chance. :)

However, since I hope we can have a completely playable game by the end to show off the hard work that we all put in, the scope has been pulled back a bit, but only for the next three days so we can get the Amnesia Fortnight build out to everyone, after that we can look at long term goals and expand the scope out as necessary.

That means that we have to work from the assets that we already have.  If you're working on something else, great!  If you're done by the end of Amnesia Fortnight and want to have it in, and it fits in with what's already there, I'll look into seeing if I can add it (no promises, but you will definitely be able to have it in the builds after Amnesia Fortnight is over! :)).

So, currently we have a menu (with work by @WavingPeople, @Mythalore, and myself).  It currently has concept art as the background, as for the Amnesia Fortnight build I hope to be able to show the broad spectrum of work that everyone has put into this. Mythalore is working on a wall of adventure trophy room that we can look into incorporating into the menu for future Amnesia Fortnight builds, as what he and WavingPeople have created so far is excellent.  But for now, I want to lock things a bit so we can get a build out in three days without worrying about making things to ambitious to be able to finish.  If you do finish by the end of Amnesia Fortnight though, I'm completely open to trying to fit the Wall of Adventure into the current hub though!

I just finished the opening scene using text and still art. As for the current hub, we're currently using the concept art of the bedroom of the adventurer that was created by @TimeGentleman.  I'm working on smoothing out the rough edges of the art, but it's currently working perfectly as a hub between memories.

There are two memories in place right now - a Doug the Ogre memory by me, based on my Doug's Moai Adventure game, and a memory using the grandfather clock art by @lightsoda from the pitch video.

I'm scaling the original ideas for these rooms way down, so that we can be finished in the next few days, without worrying about feature creep (as with everything else, these can be scaled back up after Amnesia Fortnight is over).

Doug's original puzzle design included two rooms and a groundskeeper to interact with.  To get this out in time, it will have a single room.  The goal is still the same - to get the ladder to get out of the meadow, but there will be less puzzles for the time being.  Doug simply needs to pick up the board, use it on the rock, and pick up the ladder from under the rock.  This will lead the adventurer to remember about the ladder, and come back to reality.

The grandfather clock puzzle design will focus on getting a key.  The adventurer has to open the clock, and will take the key inside.  The adventurer will then try the key in the door, but it won't work.  Then the adventurer remembers the key, and returns to reality.

Then, for the final scene, the adventurer picks up a key from the grandfather clock in the nursing home, uses the ladder to get into the attic, and finds the MacGuffin, which for this Amnesia Fortnight build, the adventurer's "Rosebud" will be what is found there: the discs from the previous two open Amnesia Fortnights. :D

What needs to be done for the Amnesia Fortnight build is: the puzzles and dialog for the Doug and Clock memories, the final scene where the adventurer finds the MacGuffin in the attic (again with text and still pictures), and music for the clock scene, the hub, and possibly the opening and closing scenes.

Everyone is free to pitch in on the final push, to work on stuff that will be added after Amnesia Fortnight is over, or to do both. :)  I really love what everyone's done so far, and can't wait to get a playable build out, and to continue to work with you all after AF is over. :D

Thanks for the post, Jenni!

I love the "Rosebud" hahaha good one :D

We'll try to implement the space scene today and tomorrow, do you think we can still make it to the build?

Edited by kednar

12 hours ago, kednar said:

Thanks for the post, Jenni!

I love the "Rosebud" hahaha good one :D

We'll try to implement the space scene today and tomorrow, do you think we can still make it to the build?

If you manage to finish it by tomorrow, I'll try to connect it.  If you do, make sure you put in an object to act as a return to hub button (connect the parent node to ui/hub_button.gd) and figure out a way to fit the final object found in space into the final climb into the attic to get the MacGuffin for the final scene.  If you do manage it, i'd love to include it, as the art is gorgeous! :D

No worries if you don't manage to do it though, as we'll have plenty of builds after Amnesia Fortnight is over. :)

I've already hooked the space scene with intro up to the hub, and kednar is working on the main scene now, so I'm hoping we'll have something playable up on the main repo in not too long. :)

Okay so, I've got a final, separate version of the logo, I'm just working on a final separate button style that I'll post in a sec.

Title_v2.thumb.png.2ee215359d761f81046ee51745663fb3.png

@Jenni If you could update the menu to include them I'd appreciate it :)

As for the menu background and wall I'll see what I can do tomorrow if there's still some time by then.

In the long run though, if you're up for it @kednar I think it'd be really cool to have the main character done in your style; it's very broken age and I think that really suits the project considering the connection with double fine. :)

Nice work!

11 minutes ago, Mythalore said:

In the long run though, if you're up for it @kednar I think it'd be really cool to have the main character done in your style; it's very broken age and I think that really suits the project considering the connection with double fine. :)

The aim is to allow people making memory sequences to create their own character sprites that look different from each other, but there's value in having a generic one that anybody can use (maybe the same as what's used in the hub scene?) and kednar would be a great candidate for putting something like that together :)

2 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

The aim is to allow people making memory sequences to create their own character sprites that look different from each other, but there's value in having a generic one that anybody can use (maybe the same as what's used in the hub scene?) and kednar would be a great candidate for putting something like that together :)

Sure I was just thinking that @kednar's style is a lot nicer than anything I can do with a more traditional look, I can try a vector pass but that can end up looking like a very specific style, although that could be good if it's then different from the rest of the memories in the game? Not sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, @Jenni here are the buttons, sorry if they're the wrong size I'll fix em tomorrow. :)

Button_Play.png.68ef2239a383e2b53a30dc384c018b53.pngButton_Options.png.797168822bab38b17d6a3598b696bfb9.pngButton_Credits.png.0942a9462b57428f614d71d1f22a2a0c.pngButton_Quit.png.ee3c43794351594b9c9a42cc3e3a48e5.png

Awesome.  Thanks @Mythalore :D  And no worry about anything, size wise - Godot handles scaling remarkably well. :D

We've been keeping the characters in a separate directory that anyone can use them in any scene (so if you'd like to use doug, or the detective, or the astronaut, or any other character that's in there - you're absolutely free to do so :)).

Right now, the hub is handled in the first person, as there is no main character present in the hub.  But, I agree, @kednar would be the perfect person to work on a default character for the game, if we decided to go down that direction. :D

I was talking to @flesk about this, and, since this fun little demo was always meant to be a temporary little silly story to cap off the two weeks that we worked on this during Amnesia Fortnight, this will be going on my personal github account instead of the Double Fine Game Club account.

The main project will remain one hundred percent collaborative, but I'll be making a fun little side project to cap off the work that we did on Amnesia Fortnight. :D

13 hours ago, Mythalore said:

Okay so, I've got a final, separate version of the logo, I'm just working on a final separate button style that I'll post in a sec.

@Jenni If you could update the menu to include them I'd appreciate it :)

As for the menu background and wall I'll see what I can do tomorrow if there's still some time by then.

Thanks so much for this, and your menu buttons.  I created a pull request to create a new menu with your new assets, my painted foreground, and the concept drawing by @WavingPeople:D

screenie.png

I also thought I'd clarify my intentions for the fun little build I'm making to cap off Amnesia Fortnight.  This is completely a side project, and this project will remain 100% collaborative, so I'm sorry if I came off like I was making decisions for final direction of the project over the last few days.

After talking with @flesk he gave me a great suggestion to create my little AF demo with the silly ending on my own branch at github, instead of the Double Fine Game Club branch, that way it's more obvious that this isn't the official direction of the project, just something fun and silly that I'm trying to put together to cap off our two weeks of work. :)

I appreciate everything that people have submitted.  I'm really in awe in what we've created over a two week period.  Y'all are amazing, and I'm really looking forward to continue to work with everyone after Amnesia Fortnight ends. :D

11 hours ago, Jenni said:

sorry if I came off like I was making decisions for final direction of the project over the last few days.

No worries, it's a tricky business trying to make something with this much improvisation. :)

I've had a quick go at a background beyond the concept art, if you're up for putting it in @Jenni

Not happy with the window but I feel it's more presentable than the concept at least.

Title_v2_MockBack.thumb.png.89d56a97382a567d853fae37b915b95e.png

Yeah, don't worry about it, @Jenni:) I look forward to playing your AF demo.

@Mythalore: I scaled up the new menu background and cut off a little of the bottom to make it 1920x1080 pixels. I might have made it a bit blurry in the process though. If it's easy for you to scale up the original a bit, we can switch it out again if you want.

19 minutes ago, flesk said:

Yeah, don't worry about it, @Jenni:) I look forward to playing your AF demo.

@Mythalore: I scaled up the new menu background and cut off a little of the bottom to make it 1920x1080 pixels. I might have made it a bit blurry in the process though. If it's easy for you to scale up the original a bit, we can switch it out again if you want.

I made another update with some additions to make it better match the original concept by @WavingPeople with additional layers so that the window fit into the scene without having to be upscaled, and I cleaned up my colorization of WavingPeople's character foreground to better match the new background. Plus, all the elements are set to be scalable, so it should be able to be scaled nicely to different screen sizes.

screenie.png.1a632b0d7c247348f91ffef9963aefd3.png

If anyone feels like updating or changing any of the elements, feel free. :)

Thanks for the kind words of support, everyone.  Y'all are most excellent. :D

Ah thanks all, that looks great! I wasn't sure on the current project resolution but that looks okay to me. :)

The side project demo, to cap off Amnesia Fortnight, with my silly little ending, is now available here: https://jennibee.itch.io/amnesia-adventure :D

I've also created a pull request with everything in that demo (minus the ending of course), to the main repository, so things should hopefully start hopping since the puzzle and dialog system is all hooked up and (mostly) working now. :)

Congrats, Jenni! :) I will check it out tonight. 

I haven't had a chance to look at the pull request yet either. I noticed that it's a huge one, so I wasn't able to give it the attention it deserves while I was at work. 

I'm having an issue with the Linux build. I've unzipped it and made it executable, but when I try to run it, I only get a message saying

error: Couldn't load game path '.'

plus a line with a copyright notice and several lines with usage and command line options. Any idea what wrong?

I'm not sure.  I'll boot into Linux on my main machine and see if I can sort it out.

I had the same issues with the PC build.

Boot screen opened up in an MSDOS screen... then closed... no game.

Sorry that it took me so long to work this out. It seems Escoria doesn't play well with the Godot compiling (I had errors when I tried to run a compiled version of their "Escoria in Daïza" demo game too).

Luckily, Godot is really friendly in the fact that it runs straight from the game when being placed in the resource files directory.  So, I'll change it to do that instead. :)

The Windows zip has been uploaded already - so if you downloaded it before for Windows, grab it again as the new upload should work for you.

I'm working on the Linux and Mac versions now.

Edit: The Mac version is now up.

Edit: And now the Linux version is up too. Let me know how this works for everyone. :)

That's good to know for future reference. Thanks for sorting that out. :) Probably won't have time to check it out tonight since one of my coworkers has his last day at work today, and we're going to out for beers after work. Definitely tomorrow though! :)

@kyle3wynn let me know that the download on itch.io opens to a project window instead of the application.  I was able to figure out how to bundle it properly (I needed to manually set txt and esc files to bundle).  So, I've uploaded a new build.

Even if you've played this before, you might want to try it out again, since it includes all of the changes we've made since Amnesia Fortnight ended. :)

I forgot to mention that I wasn't able to play the second version either, because of some missing dependencies. I'll give this new update a try tonight (hopefully). 

15 hours ago, flesk said:

I forgot to mention that I wasn't able to play the second version either, because of some missing dependencies. I'll give this new update a try tonight (hopefully). 

I also set this version to bundle dependencies on all platforms, so hopefully it will work for everyone now.