Sign in to follow this  
kednar

Space scene implementation

Hi everyone! @germila and I have written the space scene script.

This thread is to describe the space scene in detail, to help us implement it. The scene has several cutscenes, dialogs and basic character movement.

Scene structure overview

1. cutscene_intro
  2. space_scene_1
  3. cutscene_pipe
  4. space_scene_2
  5. cutscene_assembly_1
  6. cutscene_assembly_2
  7. cutscene_flying
  8. cutscene_loo

Script

1. cutscene_intro //black screen, text in the middle of the screen
    1. “Remember that time the toilet flushed itself into Space…”
    2. “… while I was sitting on it?”
  2. space_scene_1 //Players can't move. Only the pipe is in reach.
    1. First, 2 strings of text appear:
      1. “Luckily, I wear my Spacesuit everywhere.”

2. “It’s good to be prepared for the occasional accidental flushing.”

2. Now players can examine the items in the scene (use item action texts described below in space_scene_2) and pick_up the pipe.

1. Look at the pipe: “That’s my number one fluid evacuation hose!”

2. Click in any clear spot: “I need some way to aim my thrust!"

3. Pick up the pipe: “I should be able to move around with this!”

3. After the pick up text is skipped by the players, load next scene.

3. cutscene_pipe // 2-sprite animation of the character connecting the pipe to her suit.

1. “Thank to USPee standardization, I can plug this into anything!”

4. space_scene_2 // Now players can move freely around. They can look at the items (there are multiple lines for repeated look at) and pick them up.

1. Toilet Seat look at:

1. “Hold on my dear, I’m coming for you!"
      2. “I can’t wait for you to caress my cheeks again!”

3. “It’s the softest hard shell toilet ever made!”

4. “Houston, we have a lid off!”

2. Toilet Seat pick up:

1. “Gotcha! Into my spacesuit pocket you go.”

3. Foot Holders look at:

1. “They’re called ‘lower human appendage supporters’.”
        BREAK “But they look like the feet of the toilet to me.”

2. “The astronaut’s handbook says: ‘While operating heavy machinery such as the space toilet, support for the lower appendages’ is mandatory.“

BREAK “Maybe they know about the flushing problem.”

4. Foot Holders pick up:

1. “Excuse me, but I need to step on your toes again!”

5. Bag of Poop look at:

1. “The sanitary waste receptacle. An integral part of every mission to the Lower End Orbit”

2. “Really though, it’s just a bag of poop.”

3. “Yup, still poop there.”

6. Bag of Poop pick up:

1. “Careful now, we don’t want any spillage.”

7. Master Bolt look at:

1. “The fabled Master Bolt of universal attachment ! It’s so beautiful.”

2. “Legend has it you can slap it onto anything and make it work!”

3. “It even works on humans, I already feel very attached to it.”

8. Master Bolt pick up:

1. “Time to plug you back in!”

9. Spaceship look at:

1. "A ship without its toilet is a sad, empty vessel."

10. Spaceship pick up:

1. "I won't leave my toilet behind. We have lived through so much!"

11. Once all items are collected:

1. “I’ve got them all, let’s do this!”

2. Go to next scene

5. cutscene_assembly_1 // video or animation showing the toilet being assembled.

1. “I present to you: THE FLUSHDRIVE”

2. Go to next scene

6. cutscene_assembly_2 // video or animation, now the Bag of Poop appears in front of the toilet.

1. “Why did I even take this?”

2. Go to next scene

7. cutscene_flying // still picture of the astronaut flying back to the ship riding the toilet

1. “Weeeeeeeee!”

2. Go to next scene

8. cutscene_loo // still picture of the astronaut happily reading a magazine while sitting on the loo.

1. “Well, the toilet flushed me out, but it also rushed me back in.”

BREAK “And despite all the excitement, the best room is still a restroom.”

2. FIN. Go back to the hub.

Edited by kednar

I've been working on this stuff with @kednar, and so far I have the intro working and leading into the space scene. The intro scene is triggered by pressing the window from the hub.

I noticed that there's some issues with the way I hooked things up from the hub, so if the space scene isn't the first scene you visit or you go back to the hub and try to enter it again, it doesn't work. I've not had time to investigate much yet, but I think that's the major thing preventing us from adding in this scene. It's not been merged into the main repo yet, but if anyone wants to help investigate, they can clone kednars fork.

On the subject of mistakes, I noticed that I broke interaction when I tried to clean up the node errors a few days ago - I reverted those changes, and it now interaction works properly.  The node issues only stop the debugger, and not the run function or the built executables, so it shouldn't be a problem to end users.  I'll try to eliminate them properly once Amnesia Fortnight is over.

I've got the Doug scene half-way finished, as I now have the look and use dialog hooked up (and I changed Escoria's dialog system to display the text in a much more friendly version with our higher resolution setup (the text tooltips now show up above the black inventory bar (like the early 90s LucasArts games), and the dialog is displayed in the custom "Jenni" font (which uses my handwriting I use when printing), in white with a small shadow around it to make it easier to read on light backgrounds (like the doug scene or the test scene). So, since I know the space scene has a lot of dialog written for it, hopefully it can be implemented with no problem now.

I'm going to head to bed soon, but if it hasn't been sorted by the time I get up, I'll take a look at the hub code in kednar's fork and see if I can sort it out. :)

38 minutes ago, Jenni said:

On the subject of mistakes, I noticed that I broke interaction when I tried to clean up the node errors a few days ago - I reverted those changes, and it now interaction works properly.  The node issues only stop the debugger, and not the run function or the built executables, so it shouldn't be a problem to end users.  I'll try to eliminate them properly once Amnesia Fortnight is over.

[...] 

I'm going to head to bed soon, but if it hasn't been sorted by the time I get up, I'll take a look at the hub code in kednar's fork and see if I can sort it out. :)

I've managed to that too a couple of times now. Haven't looked into it too much, but the "action stack" never popped the last action, so it just kept repeating that indefinitely. Didn't lock the cursor though and tooltips still worked, but the player character wouldn't go do anything else once the first action had been triggered. I haven't looked much into it, but yesterday it seemed to be because I'd mistakenly given two items the same global ID.

Thanks, Jenni. Today is probably going to be a busy day for me at work, so I don't think I'll find time to investigate further until this evening (CET).

EDIT: It might be that what's breaking things is in the intro scene, and not the hub, since I mostly just copy-pasted your code there (though I've used a collision polygon instead of a texture frame to register mouse clicks). I haven't looked at it through the debugger yet. 

That's coming on really nicely! Would be cool (if unscientific) if you can get everything bobbing!

8 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

That's coming on really nicely! Would be cool (if unscientific) if you can get everything bobbing

At least have the items rotating yeah!

Holy cow, it's beautiful!

I've been tinkering around with the source code you and flesk made for the space scene, and implemented a verb coin for the doug scene.  I see that you have a look and a take icon in the assets folder - I'm currently not home, but once I get there, I'll get that working in your scene too, and submit a pull request to your repo.  It doesn't currently work with combining inventory, but it looks like the way your scene is set up, that shouldn't be an issue. :)

Yeah, that looks great and is funny too. :)

I took the liberty of merging your pull request and then applying some fixes myself, since the hub has apparently been broken for a few commits now. I've double checked on a fresh clone and everything seems to be in and reachable from the intro on out. There are a couple problems that I've noted in two issue reports on GitHub. 

I just made a pull request that hopefully fixes the issues in the space scenes, the hub (it completely redesigns the hub to use the Escoria item system - so it should be much more efficient and hopefully break less from here on out), and the doug scenes.

It also adds an intro like the space scene onto the doug scene, to tie them together thematically. :)

Thanks Jenni. :) Is that to fix the "space signal issue" in the hub, or did you spot others as well? Sounds like a good idea to use the Escoria system, since it will make the game easier to maintain in the long run.

The space scene issue was that completing it ended the game, right? I think (some of) the pick up animations might also played mirrored from how they're supposed to look, but I don't think that was reported yet.

There were a couple of space scene issues - ending the game was one, as was the inability to go back to the hub.  It all appeared to be related to not freeing the scene when changing to the next scene.  That seemed to fix things.

The space signal issue was definitely the main issue with the hub, but the button system meant that there were things in Escoria that you couldn't do that we might want to do - like fading out into the next scene when clicking on a hub object.

Oh, and I also made it possible to click the mouse to skip the intro.

I'm going to work on getting the rest of the Doug's Moai Adventure game into the Doug scene, as there's a lot of stuff in there that would be helpful for anyone who might want to try making a memory for Amnesia Adventure (puzzles stretched across multiple rooms, non-player characters, dialog puzzles).  I originally designed it to test all of the functions of the adventure engine framework in Moai, so it would be helpful for us too to test all of the functions of the Escoria framework in Godot.

Sorry for taking so long to review your pull request, @Jenni. I only found a minor bug that I commented on, so I've merged it now. :)

Heh - the minor bug that you found was the same silly mistake that you had earlier with the clock scene.  When I fixed the Doug scene, I forgot to reset the terrain, so it was placed under the game scene, which placed Doug in the inventory area. :P

I did another bugfix pull request that fixes a lot of issues, especially the return to hub button which now is an Escoria button too.  kednar updated the hub button on the space_kednar branch, so I pulled that first and included it in my pull request, so it fixes the space scene too.

Nicely done, Jenni. :) It's starting to feel more and more like a real game now, and the confirm dialogue feels very snappy now. I commented on an issue with the boulder on GitHub: The action menu seems to only trigger on right-click with that, unlike all the other objects.