Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Hellman

Explosions!!

Yesterday Alex had the explosions working so I did some art for them. I did a round of concept sketches, but once we started trying things out in the game it became clear I'd need to come up with something specifically suited to how things already work, since Alex needs to spend time on other parts of the game.

The explosions are basically a bunch of player-sized spheres that burst from the location of the bomb. At first I drew a flame with a bright outline, but in the game it didn't look how I imagined it would. The coolest thing about the explosions is how the spheres flow against walls, giving the explosion an evolving shape. It became obvious that the individual parts of the explosion needed to blend together, emphasizing the collective explosion shape.

Right now we're using a static image that is ball-shaped with a high amount of noise. I'm about to take another crack at the explosion, but in the meantime you can see how it looks currently (as well as some enemy AI) in this video Alex posted last night: 

explosions 1.jpg

flames 1.jpg

flame clusters 1 2000w.jpg

Made a new, much better, explosion today. You can see it in action in this video Alex recently posted. 

BY THE WAY THE VIDEO ALSO SHOWS SPLIT SCREEN MULTIPLAYER AND THE GAME IS FUN :D

flame13.gif

Sign in to follow this