lukeman3000

Graphics not quite as sharp with classic graphics as compared to running in ScummVM with OpenGL

Upon playing, I immediately booted up FT in ScummVM to compare and contrast the classic version of the remaster. What I quickly noticed is that it looks like the remastered classic graphics have a kind of "oily" film over them, and appear to be a bit more blurry as compared to when it is run in ScummVM with the OpenGL graphics mode.

Is this something that can be tweaked via config file, or is it possible we might see this adjusted in an update?

For comparison please see here:

ScummVM (OpenGL)

Remastered classics graphics

On 2017-4-26 at 11:17 PM, lukeman3000 said:

Upon playing, I immediately booted up FT in ScummVM to compare and contrast the classic version of the remaster. What I quickly noticed is that it looks like the remastered classic graphics have a kind of "oily" film over them, and appear to be a bit more blurry as compared to when it is run in ScummVM with the OpenGL graphics mode.

Is this something that can be tweaked via config file, or is it possible we might see this adjusted in an update?

For comparison please see here:

ScummVM (OpenGL)

Remastered classics graphics

I'll be honest, I can barely see a difference. I think the only way someone is likely to notice is if they have both windows open at the same time. I don't believe there's any filter that's been applied. It looks as though it's a result of scaling up the graphics to a higher resolution that isn't exactly divisible by 2. If that's the case, there's nothing that can be done (now that we're all using LCD screens).

Hmm. I can see the difference more on my retina screen. I see you've actually taken the shot at the same resolution, so perhaps I'm wrong about what I said before. Try adding it to the http://support.doublefine.com list of things.

Edited by ThunderPeel

I don't understand how people don't notice this stuff. It's plain as day to me.

Note, I'm not saying people are stupid for not noticing, I'm just surprised because I see (and hear) details like this all the time.

OK now I see it. To see the effect, focus on Ben's jacket where it meets his shirt. It's much crisper in the ScummVM version.

It's not a conventional pixel filter, since the pixels are exactly the same. Looks like anti-aliasing, making the sharp line transitions between the big pixels softer, which is an effect you don't want for a pixellated game.

Yes, it looks like they're not using nearest neighbour or something?

Granted, it's not easy to upscale a pixelated image with full clarity if the resolution it's being scaled to is not a multiple of the initial resolution. ScummVM solves this by not making each pixel equal in size (width/height). But if you're trying to make the pixels perfect squares then anti-aliasing is the only way to achieve a facsimile that. Personally, I'd rather have the unequal pixel sizes. And that's not even getting into the 4:3 "tall pixel" aspect ratio correction issues...

Edited by MusicallyInspired

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Granted, it's not easy to upscale a pixelated image with full clarity if the resolution it's being scaled to is not a multiple of the initial resolution. ScummVM solves this by not making each pixel equal in size (width/height). But if you're trying to make the pixels perfect squares then anti-aliasing is the only way to achieve a facsimile that. Personally, I'd rather have the unequal pixel sizes. And that's not even getting into the 4:3 "tall pixel" aspect ratio correction issues...

I agree. I'd rather have uneven pixel sizes and a more crisp image. Or at least give us the choice between the two options.

Has anyone added this so support.doublefine.com yet? It's the only way it's likely to be changed. (All the issues that I posted there have been responded to by Vic.)

Edited by ThunderPeel

What does classic mode look like in DOTT I wonder? I don't have it installed at the moment.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

On 5/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

What does classic mode look like in DOTT I wonder? I don't have it installed at the moment.

It looks fine, nothing wrong with DOTT at all, just FT that needs point-filtering fixing.

9 minutes ago, elvisish said:

This is still an issue, is there a patch for it yet?

Sadly, no.