Spaff

Steam key issues - RESOLVED!

52 posts in this topic

What I'd be interested is in steam keys for previous years' prototypes.

On 5/16/2017 at 6:15 PM, Vic Romero said:

By the way, you may notice Steam keys are hidden in the Humble Bundle library and a message appears indicating that we are working to fix them. This will be updated again when we work this out.

Thank you for the update.

Replying to say that this issue is now RESOLVED! 

Kiln is also now playable in multiplayer!

If you want more friends to join the fun, you can point them to this steam page where they can buy the AF prototype bundle

http://store.steampowered.com/app/631780

On 5/26/2017 at 5:04 PM, Spaff said:

If you want more friends to join the fun, you can point them to this steam page where they can buy the AF prototype bundle

What you linked is just the documentary.

3 hours ago, Guest Geners said:

SteamDB shows the prototypes as DLC: https://steamdb.info/app/631780/dlc/

I am not totally sure but I think purchasing the documentary on Steam gives you access to the prototypes as free DLC.

8 hours ago, Guest Geners said:

As patrickmaher said, purchasing the documentary gives you all of the game prototypes. :)

The Steam store description states: "It's the Amnesia Fortnight documentary series by 2 Player Productions, filmed alongside the mayhem of the game jam, with an episode for every day. This series documents the fun / stress of making so many games and each season includes the game prototypes!"

On 5/16/2017 at 6:09 PM, Vic Romero said:

Hm, let me look into extra MP keys.

Post-AF releases are still being discussed I believe, though nothing certain yet.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:04 PM, Spaff said:

So, that's a "no", then?

On 5/16/2017 at 8:07 PM, Guest Jafafa said:

What I'd be interested is in steam keys for previous years' prototypes.

...and "no" to this, too, after all that time?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and grateful to be able to play online on Steam now, but that was almost a month wait.

some things take time to sort out, sorry! 

The other AF bundles are heading to steam also, they need preparing, it takes time!

Sorry, no other keys for friends at this point, you have the DRM free version though, so thats alt least one spare, right? :) 

Posted (edited)

On 5/30/2017 at 3:30 PM, Spaff said:

some things take time to sort out, sorry! 

The other AF bundles are heading to steam also, they need preparing, it takes time!

Sorry, no other keys for friends at this point, you have the DRM free version though, so thats alt least one spare, right? :) 

Do you mean the DRM-free versions that I had to use while I waited for my Steam keys to work?

Edit: I'm also pretty sure Humble Bundle frowns upon this practice.

Edit #2: Also, can't play multiplayer with them if they're using the DRM-free version and I'm using the Steam version, can I?

Edited by Rowbot

The fact Rowbot's question haven't been answered exemplifies my anger towards Double Fine and how this has been mishandled.

Not the fact the keys didn't work (s*** happens), but the fact it took 2 months for any resolution, and it took us moaning for updates, many people waiting weeks ignored for any form of update. To say this left a bitter taste in my mouth for future bundles is an understatement. 

I understand errors, I don't understand ignoring the community to the point they feel the need to pester basic communication to get a product they paid for. Very poor show all round guys.

I will NOT be buying the next bundle, purely as I cannot trust that you guys will handle it well, and will wait till the one after to see if you've cleaned up your act.

Posted (edited)

On 6/2/2017 at 9:24 PM, Guest angryfan said:

The fact Rowbot's question haven't been answered exemplifies my anger towards Double Fine and how this has been mishandled.

Not the fact the keys didn't work (s*** happens), but the fact it took 2 months for any resolution, and it took us moaning for updates, many people waiting weeks ignored for any form of update. To say this left a bitter taste in my mouth for future bundles is an understatement. 

I understand errors, I don't understand ignoring the community to the point they feel the need to pester basic communication to get a product they paid for. Very poor show all round guys.

I will NOT be buying the next bundle, purely as I cannot trust that you guys will handle it well, and will wait till the one after to see if you've cleaned up your act.

I feel about the same at this point. What bothers me the most is the fact it seemed they were entertaining giving us extra keys, then for them to say "if your friends want em, they'll have to pay us". For them to also tell me to engage in an act that is against Humble Bundle's TOS is also quite troubling

"Note: Only keys can be gifted using this partial gifting system. DRM-free content is not permitted to be gifted to other people unless a separate gift purchase is made. More information about how to place a gift order can be found in the first two sections of this help article."

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/202712460-Purchasing-and-Sending-Gifts

I would still like to see this issue properly addressed.

Edited by Rowbot

Posted (edited)

On 2017-5-17 at 0:09 AM, Vic Romero said:

Hm, let me look into extra MP keys.

Post-AF releases are still being discussed I believe, though nothing certain yet.

altough it's a bummer they never promised extra keys.... 

To make some bad start up and a more lively prototype game it would have been very nice if you received 1 extra key to give to a friend.

because none of my friends wanted to spend $10 to play 1 prototype game, when the servers are empty. 

Edited by mikiemen
ee=

Spaff, would you care to comment any further? Respectfully, I was fully understanding and empathetic regarding the initial wait due to internet issues, but the "resolution" to this issue has been, in my opinion, less than stellar. I'm not asking for the moon, but I don't think it's unreasonable to feel slighted by how this all was handled.

Wow sorry i did not notice that this thread had a ton of unanswered questions, all i can offer up is that E3 and fig updates collided and made my life way, way too busy. That's on me, and I apologise! 

Good news - We are still hoping to get friend keys out to you all, 3 extra ones each. E3 might make that slower than we'd like to happen but it should happen... soon.

The steam key issue was the worst, so sorry. - In years gone by Steam let us distribute these prototypes in a way that technically breaks their regulations, but they turned a blind eye for us. This year, mainly as the bundle was due to go live on there afterwards, and because we have new contacts there, they did not want us to do this the way we always have until the bundle was also live on steam. We didn't learn this until after we sent those keys out however, and getting the bundle live on steam required us to also have the documentary finished, which took some time due to the other issues that 2pp ran up against. 

That is all sorted out now, thankfully.

Many apologies for the momentum of this year's AF, it was not how we planned it to go down at all. Sometimes plans don't go well and we just have to roll with those punches. 

Giving out extra keys is never something that was promised anywhere, so will be a bonus - i said we'd be working on it, and when i made the post above it looked like we weren't going to do it due to all manner of factors, but I'm happy to say that we are going to do this now! Look out for a mail from Humble. 

I'm going to be at E3 then away for 2 weeks after that, but if you have more issues or questions in this time please nudge @Vic Romero :)

Thanks, guys, also sorry!

And yes, do tag me to get me to appear faster! 

If we bought the $5 tier of the Humble Bundle will we be getting a Steam key for the videos soon? And if we bought previous Fortnight bundles will we be getting Steam keys for those videos as well when they are put up on Steam?

The videos currently on steam are just the youtube ones, but the 2pp team are busy re-colouring them and mastering them for their HD release.

When they are done we'll send out links to them and also replace the ones on steam. :)

Humble Bundle confirms that the extra Kiln keys are distributed. I have also confirmed there are 3 extra keys. Please check the game page in your library.