Double Fine Action Forums
ihawk

Xbox ONE / iOS / Mac

Now I know that this has already been discussed in other threads in terms of getting the ports over to other platforms, but my question is a bit more along the lines of the technical difficulties of changing platforms. So clearly PC and PS4 must share a similar coding language, but does Mac iOS and Xbox share the same coding language, or what really are the technical barriers?

Edited by ihawk

All of these platforms have compilers that will turn C/C++ code into something that can be run. Consoles and mobile platforms have specific hardware/APIs that need to be accounted for. I wouldn't say that PS4 is any more similar to Windows than any other platform is (if anything, it's probably farther from Windows than Mac OS is). Different platforms usually have different compilers that have their own idiosyncrasies that take time to work through.

I can't comment on the specifics of the Full Throttle codebase, but there's more to porting than just sharing the same programming language. If it's helpful, I wrote about my work on Day of the Tentacle Remastered's Linux port that might help give some idea of what some of the hurdles in approaching new platforms can include.

Often the time between platform releases is determined more by availability of people and scheduling more than technical constraints. I wasn't brought onboard to work on Day of the Tentacle until some time after its release on other platforms.

Thankfully Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle Remastered have been structured and written in a way that compartmentalises all of the platform specific code away from the stuff that can be reused across all platforms. For projects that haven't been structured like this, finding and teasing out platform specific code can be a significant amount of work.

Hope that gives some insight!

18 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

All of these platforms have compilers that will turn C/C++ code into something that can be run. Consoles and mobile platforms have specific hardware/APIs that need to be accounted for. I wouldn't say that PS4 is any more similar to Windows than any other platform is (if anything, it's probably farther from Windows than Mac OS is). Different platforms usually have different compilers that have their own idiosyncrasies that take time to work through.

I can't comment on the specifics of the Full Throttle codebase, but there's more to porting than just sharing the same programming language. If it's helpful, I wrote about my work on Day of the Tentacle Remastered's Linux port that might help give some idea of what some of the hurdles in approaching new platforms can include.

Often the time between platform releases is determined more by availability of people and scheduling more than technical constraints. I wasn't brought onboard to work on Day of the Tentacle until some time after its release on other platforms.

Thankfully Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle Remastered have been structured and written in a way that compartmentalises all of the platform specific code away from the stuff that can be reused across all platforms. For projects that haven't been structured like this, finding and teasing out platform specific code can be a significant amount of work.

Hope that gives some insight!

Thanks Cheeseness very insightful indeed. Your work on the DOTT was a very good read. Looking forward to the next platform releases:-)