Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BoredMarc

This guys reviews are great.

Not only are these genius reviews, he also calls Fantasy World Dizzy for the Amiga the best game ever. This guy knows his stuff, and quite possibly deserves an award for being one of the few people who still remembers the sheer unbeatable awesome that was Dizzy at its height.

Sorry, never heard of it. =D

It was doing the whole Platformer meets adventure game thing way back when. Hard as nails games, but awesome. I still think it was those games which introduced me to Point and Click games in general (Due to the wacky humour and puzzles).

Fantasy world was definately the best one. I still find myself humming the main tune to myself from time to time.

Zero Punctuation is spot on genius. I 100% agree with his Bioshock review (SS2 fo' life!) and he has a good, original style. He's also living the dream, i mean what's better then being english and living it up in Australia? You could say not being british and living Australia, but you sir would be wrong. Very wrong. A new kind of wrong which doesn't have a word and that would be you.

Zero Punctuation goes up every wednesday on that site so its worth checking out each week, there might also be a link to his website on there were he has loads of webcomics and other stuff too, all worth a sneaky gander.

While I found his Bioshock review humorous, I was disappointed that he crumbled so easily to fan pressure and his biggest complaints were minor nuances. :P

What the hell would you need an item screen for? To check your potato chips? :P

I am glad he decided to pander. I really enjoy these review much more than just another guy who thinks his attempt at an unbiased review really matters. In other words I would rather have good entertainment then another opinion to ignore.

While I found his Bioshock review humorous, I was disappointed that he crumbled so easily to fan pressure and his biggest complaints were minor nuances. :P

Well there's no way to check what components you've got without visiting a U-Invent. Not major, but it's annoying if you trapse back to one only to find you've not got enough to make what you want.

The Vita-Chamer is also a legitimate complaint I think. It just feels like with some sort of penalty (Temporary disabling of plasmids perhaps, or a temporary health reduction) it would have felt far less cheap.

I think his real point (as he says at the beginning when he points out it's still probably game of the year) is that it's impressive that despite these problems it's still a great game. Lets face it, DX: Invisible War got crucified because of its simplification for consoles, because it ruined the old DX mechanics. While Bioshock doesn't feel like the FPS/RPG hybrid early previews suggested it would be, it still rocks.

Edit: and on the suject of potato chips, yes, it would be nice if I could carry them to eat later, rather than stopping to munch on them regardless. Seriously, who eats candy bars out of trash cans unless they're desperate (i.e. below half health)?

BoredMarc, your username looks very familiar.

The only other Message board I regularly go to is a private one that does not exist. I use the screen name BoredMarc for almost every online game though. Do you play Sven coop? That is what I have been playing recently.

BoredMarc, your username looks very familiar.

The only other Message board I regularly go to is a private one that does not exist. I use the screen name BoredMarc for almost every online game though. Do you play Sven coop? That is what I have been playing recently.

Bingo.

I wouldn't say the guy panders, if you see some of his other one's he just has his own view, sometimes he moans about stuff when it really is him just being crap at the game. Bioshock is pretty shallow compared to System Shock 2, its the kiddy pool to SS2's giant ocean of plundering depths with caverns full of fish, who all swim around in deep thought, thats how deep SS2 is. Bioshock seems to be a little different to whats around, and its great fun, but it's just not as involved or as clever as it thinks it is, specially after the 3 word revelation where you continue to proceed as before, this time with out and real purpose. There is also far too much meat to grind, when you come back to an area some sploicers have come back to give you some more face to shoot, bbq and then freeze for next sunday's roast.

wow, that was so awesome

I laughed the whole way through the psychonauts one, can't wait to watch the others

Well there's no way to check what components you've got without visiting a U-Invent. Not major, but it's annoying if you trapse back to one only to find you've not got enough to make what you want.

The Vita-Chamer is also a legitimate complaint I think. It just feels like with some sort of penalty (Temporary disabling of plasmids perhaps, or a temporary health reduction) it would have felt far less cheap.

I think his real point (as he says at the beginning when he points out it's still probably game of the year) is that it's impressive that despite these problems it's still a great game. Lets face it, DX: Invisible War got crucified because of its simplification for consoles, because it ruined the old DX mechanics. While Bioshock doesn't feel like the FPS/RPG hybrid early previews suggested it would be, it still rocks.

Edit: and on the suject of potato chips, yes, it would be nice if I could carry them to eat later, rather than stopping to munch on them regardless. Seriously, who eats candy bars out of trash cans unless they're desperate (i.e. below half health)?

The components thing I can understand, though I rarely made anything more than auto-hacks or anti-personnel ammo.

Vita-Chambers are what I like to call "don't like don't use' components. It's like people who complained about not penalty for dying in Prey aside from a minor inconvenience. If it bothers you, then reload your game every time your die. There's no gun to your head to use the vita-chambers. Make your own rules to increase the difficulty. Hell, people beat Resident Evil 4 just using the knife. When the game stopped being challenging by normal rules, they got creative and got more fun out of it. Can't always leave it to the company alone to get innovative... Personally, I don't play games to be punished, so I enjoy the vita-chambers.

On potato chips, wouldn't being able to save them mean you'd have even more medkits at hand? I think the point of them was that they're quick little health/EVE boosts. Forget eating stuff you found in the trash, who injects syringes found on dead bodies filled with whatever made these people go mad into their arms every few minutes?

People overlook the log in their eye to point out the splinter in their finger, you can't really rag on potato chips when there's vials of poison being pumped into your veins every time you send an enemy flying with one too many cyclone traps. :P

Yeah, but the poison is an a sterile capsule :P

Don't get me worng, Bioshock is still an awesome game, and the issues tend to be of the "Hmm, I'd would have done that a bit differently" variety than of the "What the hell is Universal Ammo?" variety. Like I say, I point out these things, but I don't really see the problem with them. I'm one who'd rather reload than use a Vita-Chamber, so i do. And as a side note, I'm convinced one day I should try a wrench only and no plasmid run, just for fun (Aside from the odd place where you need plasmids to get through some doors, obviously)

Edit: Also, rewatching the Bishock one, I think he misses the point on Plasmids and Gene-Tonics. The point was never to have your character bad at stuff without modication, but instead the whole point of tonics is to say "well, I'm pretty good at everything, now what do I want to power up to awesome levels?" My second run through I went for as much melee based stuff as I could (Wrench Jockey, Bloodlust, Static Discharge, etc), and with the one-two Electrobolt-wrench combo I was oneshotting any Splicer that wasn't immune to electricity. On Hard. It was awesome :D

Yahtzee is great. I love those reviews, as well as his four John DeFoe games, especially Trilby's Notes. I should get around to playing those three text adventures he made for the series, as well as some of his other games, too...

personally i think that the idea of storing your various food items would have made things even more unrealistic. I mean its not like if you were in the middle of a fight you'd be able to go "hey, sorry Big Daddy, do you mind waiting a bit so i can eat some of these potato chips and maybe smoke a little? Alright thanks". Although i do agree that sometimes the vitachambers can give you the feeling that death is just the equivalent of saying "brb", especially when its in the room right next to where you were fighting, they're still useful at times, especially against the bouncer Big Daddies who take of 3/4 of your hp in 1 hit

Yahtzee is great. I love those reviews, as well as his four John DeFoe games, especially Trilby's Notes. I should get around to playing those three text adventures he made for the series, as well as some of his other games, too...

Gah, I feel like an idiot for not making the connection here. I knew the name sounded familiar. The Chzo Mythos is a genius collection of games.

Excellent stuff. He basically said everything about Bioshock I had to say, with the exception that I didn't the story was all that great. There's just so many plot holes...

I just thought it was taking cheap shots at an awesome game is all. ;) Alas, what people do for the sake of humor! Though as was said, you could tell he liked it anyway because he beat it, you don't beat games you don't like. ;)

Psst...he also drew a webcomic, way back when in the dark days before Photoshop, called Yahtzee Takes On The World. It has since ended, but the archives are entertaining.

Sign in to follow this