Do it like Tolkien. "this book will have a hobbit in it" was what he started with for Lord of the Rings.

Well, Tolkien's early stuff was a total disaster. But he just kept on writing until an epicΒ popped out.

The lesson I have from this is even if the first attempt is terrible, it can be fixed as long as you're desperate enough and your publisher only wants hobbit stories.

9 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Well, Tolkien's early stuff was a total disaster. But he just kept on writing until an epicΒ popped out.

The lesson I have from this is even if the first attempt is terrible, it can be fixed as long as you're desperate enough and your publisher only wants hobbit stories.

So I should write a really good, successful, instant classic which will be fondly remembered and reread for generations after it's published, and get forced to return to that well by my publisher, hacking away at the idea with failed attempt after failed attempt until my Magnum Opus emerges?

Edited by Tiny Dust!

8 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

So I should write a really good, successful, instant classic which will be fondly remembered and reread for generations after it's published, and get forced to return to that well by my publisher, hacking away at the idea with failed attempt after failed attempt until my Magnus Opus emerges?

Basically, yeah!

I dunno, he might have hacked through the Hobbit as well, but nobody cares about how the Hobbit was written.

Well, considering the source material, I'm not exactly surprised.

I've been chipping away at Empire, laid some foundations, had some happy accidents, all according to keikaku.

I submitted a manuscript to a publisher.

I got back what amounted to half praise, half rejection letter. They said they thought I had a great deal of potential and can see the book selling, but I need a cleaner draft.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

I submitted a manuscript to a publisher.

I got back what amounted to half praise, half rejection letter. They said they thought I had a great deal of potential and can see the book selling, but I need a cleaner draft.

Rejection Letters are subsistence for the aspiring author. The fact that you got positive feedback at all is a good sign as well.

12 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

I HAVE DECIDED TO CREATE MY OWN VERSION OF THE MARIO BRO UNIVERSE!

IT IS VERY WEIRD!

I've got an idea in my head for a Super Mario USA 2 (backronym: Super Mario UltimateΒ Subcon Adventure 2).

1 hour ago, Jenni said:

I've got an idea in my head for a Super Mario USA 2 (backronym: Super Mario UltimateΒ Subcon Adventure 2).

Okay so I don't fanfic because I have hang ups (nothing against fan fiction or people who create fan fiction mind) but I am a firm believer in leaning into your influences and stealing liberally from them (and then finding a new take on them) so that's basically what I'm doing.

It's not Mario, but it's Mario inspired. This early I'm basically going: "Okay so what if this part of Mario were like this?" and then seeing where that takes me.

I started with Peach, because she's my favorite:

latest?cb=20140414171229

LOVE HER SO MUCH!

And basically my answer to Princess Peach is that there's this humanoid being who isΒ a Sorceress Queen who rules over an actual kingdom of sentient fungiΒ who produce spores which are the source of magic in her world. She is possibly slowly being consumed by a fungal colony she hosts, which is the source of her powers.

Like I didn't expect to go this direction, but I'm digging it.

Edited by Tiny Dust!

21 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

That suddenly went cosmic horror there.

I mean kind of yeah, certainly it's intentional. I want to do something weird and disconcerting with this.

That said, I wouldn't expect a Lovecraftian tone. My Queen "Toadstool" as it were isn't a monster or victim. She's a badass matriarch, who integrated into and elevated a very alien society into something of an empire. I'm not sure if I'm even gonna keep the idea that she's being consumed by the thing which gives her her power, though certainly there's a trade-off in terms of her humanity.

I don't know, I think there's room for stories about transformation and power that straddles the line between body horror and power fantasy.

I herebyΒ issue another pitch challenge.

The subject: a dark and gritty R rated adaptation of an E/E10 rated video game.

Deadline: Friday.

Prize: a puppy.

It doesn't need to be a full on pitch. Just four or five sentences summing up the gist of the plot. Like a Wikipedia blurb.

I don't know if I've even played any rated E games in recent memory. I don't usually remember game ratings.

Is there a certain horror subgenre you guys favor over others

Edited by Noname215

Psychological because I enjoy a good mind game. They tend to have a flair of mystery. Jacob's Ladder, The Sixth SenseΒ and Diabolique are great examples. And slasher movies, especially low budget 80s ones with one and done practical gore shots, are just so much damn fun to watch, from both a technical standpoint and as good cheap entertainment.

Nightmare On Elm Street makes do with both.

Opinion: science fiction is best when it focuses on human issues rather than focus too much on technological exposition. Hard science fiction by way of Asimov is stale compared to the humanity of Ray Bradbury or Philip K. Dick.

Edited by Noname215

I like cosmic most of all, but I'll enjoy other stuff if it's well done.

I did spend a lot of time describing the gruesome ways these minor antagonistsΒ got murdered in my NaNo though...

15 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Opinion: science fiction is best when it focuses on human issues rather than focus too much on technological exposition. Hard science fiction by way of Asimov is stale compared to the humanity of Ray Bradbury or Philip K. Dick.

I agree.Β  Actually I feel this way about every genre.Β  For instance, I could tell you more about what happened to the characters in a Monk episode than the mystery, or more about the characters in Agents of Shield than what villain they had to fight.