We should all collaborate on something. Make it like some sort of ridiculous adventure story.

I don't know how that would even work. Like a writer's room?

I suppose the logistics become easier to handle with discord, though.

Well, let's explore. Would it be serious or humorous? Is it about an underlying theme or just a good time? Are we splicing ย whole bunch of genres together or making a salad?

My vote goes to it being about a quest. A quest that involves video game culture.

11 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Well, let's explore. Would it be serious or humorous? Is it about an underlying theme or just a good time? Are we splicing ย whole bunch of genres together or making a salad?

My vote goes to it being about a quest. A quest that involves video game culture.

If we did it, a quest would be fun, but I'm not big on the game culture idea, or really anything that relies heavily on Meta or Memes or other reference humor.

If it is funny, it should be funny within the context of its own reality.

I'd say R for language. Because I inevitably end up putting lots of cursing into what I write.ย 

As the hit song Anything Goes said, "Those authors too who once knew better words, now only use four letter words writing prose... anything goes"

I'd say R because of language, the kind of violence I tend to write, and slapstick comedy.

The slapstick I writeย is a bit more along the lines of Evil Dead or RackaRackaย than straight Three Stooges. There is blood involved.

I'm having trouble deciding how to end Who Hash. I have two endings in mind, neither of which end well.

Have you guys ever pulled from your personal lives to add certain themes or types of characters to your stuff

No

I'm considering abandoning my alternate history setting forย Fair & Everettย and instead using a close parallel to Earth. So you have similar but original nations and cultures instead of actual nations and cultures that have been reworked to fit a new historical timeline.

The difference is admittedly subtle, but I like it because it frees me up to world build without having to worry about the plausibilityย  of my alternate history.

Basically I'm lazy.

All the time.

And yeah, I'm using "alt-earth" to start at the very least, and maybe later I'll go back and fix things.

Well I actually had to do studying when it came toย Eye of the Orientย andย Under The Black Flag.ย I want a world that's atย least accurate enough to be believable. The more hard work I put in the better the result.

Since I mentioned pulling from your personal life, I once wrote something back when I was a college freshman calledย High Times And Lowlivesย which was a darkย comedy-dramaย and wasย slightlyย autobiographical. Every character was based on guys I knew growing up in my neighborhood. Drunks, skirtchasers, wannabe rednecks, hardcore liberals, hardcore conservatives, cops, construction workers,ย jocks, racists, and all around hooligans. Pretty much your average Irishย community here in San Francisco.

Edited by Noname215

I mean there's definitely still a lot of research to do on this project, since despite giving myself permission to make up the world, it's still grounded in a reality that looks like the start of the 20th Century.

I mean things which happen in life definitely influence my writing. I just have never been interested in writing about things which closely reflect my life.

I'm not particularly interesting.

For me most of the historical studies inย Under The Black Flagย had to do with the Golden Age of Piracy, workings of rank in the British Navy, the war for ownership of territory in the Caribbean between Spain and England, maritime practices, the slave trade, and as much as I could learn aboutย the East India Trading Company. Forย The Eye Of The Orientย it was mainly about rank during WW1 as well as the state of parts of the world after the Treaty Of Versailles.

I kinda want to to write a science fiction adventure comedyย about a government agency in the 1980s that attempts to virtualize the human subconscious to give birth to an alternate reality. The experiment fails when a test subject, being a huge nerd and video game programmer, is disintegrated, his mind however left intact within the technology. After a top floor decision to destroy the tech becomes vocal, one overzealous scientist and brother of the dev steals it and hides it within an unfinishedย arcade cabinet calledย Polybius Rising. Trapped within, the dev over the years began to create a new realityย entirely from his own interests and populate it with many strange characters and even deadly adversaries.ย Fast forward decades later, the cabinet finds itself in a Chicago retro arcade, where one employee named Arthur will cross paths with the cabinet and be cast into a strange world both familiar and deceptive, and with eccentric allies he finds himself having to stop a demagogue from clawing his way into the outside world.

I did have Tron in mind. I've been watching a lot of 80s science fiction lately (despite science fiction not even being in my top 5 genres) like Flight of the Naigator andย The Last Starfighter, so I have those types of movies on the brain. I'm also conscious of the Ready Player One similarities, already apparent simply by the mention of 80s video gamesย and alternate reality, but if I choose to follow through and consider this ideaย something I could really dedicate time and effort to, then I'll do everything I can to make sure it's not as hollow and poorly chopped together as anything Ernest Cline has written. At least make it good enough to set itself apart.

By the way @Tiny Dust!ย check outย Artemisย by Andy Weir. I never readย The Martian but I got this oneย in an airport to kill time and really dug it. A heist story set on the moon.

Okay, here's a question: if you could write a story based on classic public domain literature (like a fan sequel or reimagining), whichย would you choose?ย 

Edited by Noname215

I love detective fiction. Also tryingย to come close toย how Conan Doyle wroteย Watson's narration and those moments of Holmes' deductive reasoningย would prove a challenge.

Also, look at all the authors who have played in that sandbox. Anthony Horowitz, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, hell, even Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

I love detective fiction. Also tryingย to come close toย how Conan Doyle wroteย Watson's narration and those moments of Holmes' deductive reasoningย would prove a challenge.

Also, look at all the authors who have played in that sandbox. Anthony Horowitz, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, hell, even Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

Which is why it's a bit like Salted Earth to me. Sherlock Holmes is one of the most popular literary figures of all time. To write a Holmesian story is to invite innumerable comparisons.

I mean, if I had to choose someone else, I'd probably go with Jekyll & Hyde or something about Captain Nemo.