Probably the best movies made from classic pulp characters thus far are Mask of Zorro, Conan The Barbarian, Tarzan, and Flash Gordon.

I wish that Will Eisner's The Spirit hadn't been botched so bad. Frank Miller directing alongside Robert Rodriguez is one thing, at least he had the more experienced Rodriguez to help him out. But damn it.

Oh, and The Green Hornet. Awful, awful movie.

Edited by Noname215

13 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Probably the best movies made from classic pulp characters thus far are Mask of Zorro, Conan The Barbarian, Tarzan, and Flash Gordon.

I thought that the Warren Beatty Dick Tracy film was quite good as well. And if it counts (it doesn't have classic pulp characters, but it's inspired by them), The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies of all time.

1 hour ago, Bookdust said:

The Rocketeer is the best!

Still waiting on Disney to get that sequel/reboot they announced into production.

That'll happen when Tron 3 happens.

32 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

They didn't announce it that long ago, like 2 years ago or something. I don't know, maybe it stalled out. But they had a pretty direction for it. Seeing as they were planning to cast a woman of color in the lead role.

Not what I heard. I heard Disney was gonna get Jared Leto.

Blurbs from my notebook regarding characters for the possibleΒ untitled sci if adventure movie

Arthur Dresden: College dropout and goofball, works at the Galloping Ghost Retro Arcade in Chicago. Loves old games, comic books, movies and rock music. Discovers the Hive when he gets too close to the Polybius Rising arcade cabinet during a heavy thunderstorm. Learns that you can't let life come to you. Arthur sees a lot of himself in Desmond Galloway. A man stuck at a point in time and mentally unable to move forward until spurred by force.

Jack Cutter: former US Navy SEAL, walked away from the life but in a series of mid 80s to early 90s films always found himself being called back into action to save the free world. Tires of war, wants peace, but at the same time deep down he lives for the action. Loves cigars, Colt pistols, good sipping whiskey and Creedence Clearwater Revival.Β 

Riyu Miyamoto: the last of the Shogunate executioners, rightful heir to the throne of his land and now a wandering ronin. Cynical but abides by the laws of bushido. Amateur philosopher, well versed in even the likes of Sun Tzu. Wields the Akuma, a blade that feeds off the blood and souls of those who would do violence unto others. Humorless, making him the straight man to Arthur's bullshitery.

Yul Tide: a violent, filthy, alcoholic incarnation of Santa Claus with a penchant for shooting off his guns as well as his mouth. Singles out kids from his former high school teaching job to leave presents that would scar them emotionally or physically. Works one day a year. Is in a pile of his own vomit or shell casings the other 364. Got rid of all the elves when he learns he could outsource to China, aside from one he uses for publicity.

Metalhead: Originally meant to be a villain for an unmade video game created by the writer who was taken in by Polybius Rising. He is visually based on Gene Simmons, Immortan Joe, and Thanos, and wields an axe which comes with a powerful electric charge like the hammer of Thor. Once the writer became trapped within his own subconscious, everything that was his creation became real within that alternate reality, even the most deadly.

Desmond Galloway: Legendary comic book writer yet depressinglyΒ antisocial, wasΒ writing a Dungeons & Dragons style comic book inspired by cover art from 80s heavy metal albums. When he became trapped in PR, all the anger, fear and hatred that Desmond ever felt was embodied physically and Metalhead took life. MetalheadΒ represents the part of Desmond that wants to be accepted by society, the lone nerd that can find no place in the world, no love from another. And so all that resentment came to a head. And now that figure, Metalhead, wants out. To claim our world as his own. But Desmond himself remains within an illusion and has long since given up on attempting to escape PR. Deep within a dark void at the center of PR, he lies in what he and others see as a massive library of VHS tapes, Atari games, Marvel/DC comics, records, and lush vegetation. He has created his own paradise. One without fear, pain, suffering.Β And this is what is wrong, and deep down the part of him that still wants freedom knows this. Life without fear is not real life. And if he does nothing while Metalhead goes closer to breaking free of PR, then the world outside is doomed.

Β 

If any of you guys were hiredΒ to writeΒ something based on a true story, what kind of story would you chooseΒ 

I'd probably go with some little known, yet awesomeΒ historical event. Like I think the history ofΒ LΓͺ LợiΒ overthrowing Chinese overlords would be absolutely fantastic in film.

I mean, I've taken some southeast asian history courses and we didn't even cover it, which is a shame because man, what I've read since is completely astounding.

Β 

Alternatively, I might also want to do a comedy based on the Great Emu War in Australia. Btw, the emus won.

I'd either do the Zebra Murders or the Japanese Invasion of Nanking.Β 

Both would be pretty controversial.

So I might be writing a play. There's this local theatre troupe that accepts horror short story adaptations from the late 19th century. I just need to decide what to write.

Well, I've got a few books of short stories from the period, I just need to actually read them. But yeah, I was definitely thinking Lovecraft or Bierce. But before I pick, I need to go on the tour of the space they'll be performing in to get a sense of what settings can be used.

Because it isn't normal theater, they perform all their plays in this local mausoleum.Β 

Such a badass way to call someone out. "You wouldn't care toΒ translate that feeling into action, would you?"

Β 

Though I feel the real unsung hero here is Basil Rathbone. He fenced everyone because he was always the villain.

How about this: how long did itΒ take you to realize that Vincent Price was actually an American