Hell yeah. When doing pulp adventure, gotta have a sword fight in there somewhere.Β 

Edited by Noname215

Yeah, I'm doing that with my vampire character. Given the era, it didn't make sense for anyone else to be a swordfighter, but the vampire is 200+ years old, so has a good excuse.

I keep trying to think of a way to put one intoΒ Eye of the Orient,Β but there aren't really any characters in there where it would make sense for one to carry a sword. It's mostly shootouts, a few chasesΒ and heavy brawling.

About half of the main characters in mine aren't really fighters, they're randomΒ people who got dragged into this mess. The vampire, Mal, is by farΒ the best due to 200 years of practice dual-wielding short swords combined with inhuman speed, strength, and already being dead, though he comes with traditional vampire weaknesses. Next up is probably the mage, Vala, but she's more artillery and of limited use unless one wants to blow up a city block. After that, probably my archaeologist, Henry, though he's less good and more exceedinglyΒ supernaturallyΒ lucky.

I feel like my brain crashed from trying to finish my Grinch perversion/reimagining in two weeks and haven't been able to work on anything in the last week. So. Much. Rhyming.Β 

Well, except this.

Β 

IMG_3242.PNG

Edited by Noname215

4 hours ago, Bookdust said:

I haven't seen many so I don't really have any thoughts on them.

What books or resources have you found most influential or informative for learning your craft?

On WritingΒ by Stephen King

Method And Madness by Alice LaPlante

Save The Cat by Blake Snyder

StoryΒ by Robert McKee

I've had a prison break story on the back burner for some time that is in the vein of Stalag 17 and Bridge Over The River Kwai. Pretty much a tribute to my distant relative William Holden.

Well, I joined an IRL writing group at my university. Figured it might goad me into actually writing regularly.

Also, got the tour/intro for writing this play. Now I have to actually figure out what horror short story I'm going to adapt. I might flip through my Lovecraft collection or dip a toe into Ambrose Bierce.

We talk a lot about writing books or scripts, but if you guys were ever offered the chance to direct your own script/novel adaptation, would you go for it?

Edited by Noname215

11 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

We talk a lot about writing books or scripts, but if you guys were ever offered the chance to direct your own script/novel adaptation, would you go for it?

I know nothing about directing a movie. So no, I'd much rather leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Edited by Bookdust

I know the technical know-how from cinema classes in college but I could never crack the handling of actors, even in the shorts I did for a certain classes. So yes and no.

4 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I know the technical know-how from cinema classes in college but I could never crack the handling of actors, even in the shorts I did for a certain classes. So yes and no.

Like I could learn, I just don't care too, not at this point anyways. I'd much rather leave that to someone who is passionate about it and focus on doing my part in the process.

IΒ remember how back in high school during the summer before senior year me and a bunch of friends went out to the hills outside of Tracy and filmed a 2 hour 45 minuteΒ no budget post apocalpytpic western movie. We filmed a car chase with a motorcycle and skateboard, fired off close to 3000 rounds of blank ammunition, ripped off Jackie Chan techniques for a martial arts scene,Β had oneΒ horse which we got from a family member of one of the cast, and used an abandoned airsoft field to make a fake backwater town. Every indoor scene was just shot in our own houses. We did it just because it was fun and despiteΒ the recklessnessΒ of it all were kinda proud of how we went guerrilla.

Now it's hard as hell to watch without groaning.

WELL, very first creative writing session and everyone is going to be critiquing the thing I wrote because I am apparently the only one who can stick to deadlines and was foolishly the only one who sent in something to the organizer.

>_>

Β 

14 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

WELL, very first creative writing session and everyone is going to be critiquing the thing I wrote because I am apparently the only one who can stick to deadlines and was foolishly the only one who sent in something to the organizer.

>_>

Β 

Couldn't you ask for them to delay feedback until a couple of more people have submitted their work?

Well, today was the deadline because we're meeting in person on Saturday, so the idea was to give a few days to read.

I don't mind too much. I sent in something that I know is imperfect, so I welcome critique to improve it.

This is why I wrote 100 pages in advance so the club will be dead before I run out of excerpts to send them.

I'm not sure I have a process yet.Β 

But what I tend to do is I come up with a character idea I like (generally originallyΒ for a tabletop game) play around with that character for a bit in mini-scenarios to figure out what sort of story they're suited for and whether they have main character potential or side character potential. Then if I like the idea, I start trying to pin down plotpoints and which other pre-made characters I have might fit in the concept. Then more daydreaming coming up with scenes I really like. Recently, I've started writing a story bible of general world and character information for reference.Β 

At some point, I start writing test scenes, usually the stuff I'm most excited about. And then I just start at the beginning and write until I get distracted by something shiny, look back at what I've written with disgust and never touch it again.

I write bestΒ when I become so overwhelmed with the thought of putting my thoughts and ideas down on paper that toΒ do anything else feels impossible. If I try to force something out then I get sloppy, or it makes me not want to work at all. But when I really get going, I don't stop until the steam runs out.

When crafting a story, as I've mentioned before, I start with a very detailed outline that tends to double as a story bible. I want to have everything planned out, every move I'll make, every scene that'll transpire, I like to have my map set out beforehand. Granted, I do tend to color outside the lines and improvise when needed, but I like to stick to my own script.

The most I've written in a single day is 18 pages. Seeing as how I do this out of enjoyment and passion rather than necessity, although God willing they will meet in the future, I rarely ever set a deadline for myself. Because I also always need to go back and fix what I think doesn't work and that takes more time than the initial writing. It's why I didn't finish Who Hash before Christmas,Β why The Nightmare Man is unfinished, and why Under The Black Flag has been taking me seven years to finish. This was not always the case, but as I've grown older, less impulsiveΒ and my skill has somewhat improved,Β I prefer to not put anything out until I'm damn good and ready to do so.

33 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

How about you @Bookdust

Also, you guys should check out the Inkitt contests.Β 

I mean, I don't know if I have a process. I get an idea, usually it starts off like: "What if [Current pop culture obsession] but... [Twist which inspires further iteration] and I just keep iterating until I have something which is more or less original and interesting to me.

And then I think about it forever, write down ideas for scenes, characters and themes that should be in the story, in terribly unorganized and ever more sprawling sets of files spread across my local machine and at least two cloud services. A handful of half-assed attempts to start the story, a few more pages of test scenes and a lot of trips to TVtropes and Wikipedia, and fitful, incomplete readings of various how to write books.

Only for me to eventually get bored of the idea, shelve it, and move onto something else until that shelved idea goes through the What if [Failed project] but... [Fresh take that will have me spinning my wheels for a couple of more months] phase.

Edited by Bookdust