I thought about doing something like that at one point. It had paladins on motorcycles in a mad max wonderland.

But I didn't have a good idea for the doohickey they were supposed to go after, so I decided that it was all gonna be a wild goose chase with just a note at the end saying "You tried".

I abandon more ideasΒ or leave them to stagnation than I do follow through.Β 

Like this morning I had an idea for a thriller about a Wall Street broker who is suicidal but can't do it himself so heΒ goes to a gumΒ chewing music obsessedΒ hitman and paysΒ him a cool million to kill him three days from then. He eventually changes his mind at the last minute but finds out he can't cancel the contract so he's running for his life that he was so desperate to be rid of.

It was just an idea but I'm not going anywhere.

Edited by Noname215

...I think you meant "gumΒ chewing"?

Otherwise, oh myyy...

Β 

But yeah, I ditch ideas fairly regularly because I have no plot and then I just compile the characters into one of the plotful stories I do have. Loads of my cosmic horror story originally are salvaged from other stories that didn't make it, tabletop games, or blatantly stolen from my friends.

1 minute ago, Alcoremortis said:

...I think you meant "gumΒ chewing"?

Otherwise, oh myyy...

Oh, dear God.

Sorry, damn typos.

Β 

8 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Like this morning I had an idea for a thriller about a Wall Street broker who is suicidal but can't do it himself so heΒ goes to a cum chewing music obsessedΒ hitman and paysΒ him a cool million to kill him three days from then. He eventually changes his mind at the last minute but finds out he can't cancel the contract so he's running for his life that he was so desperate to be rid of.

Now it's forever.

Though, it would add a very interesting wrinkle in the hitman's personality. XP

Actually, in the Ravenloft sourcebooks (D&D), one of the best Dark Lords was born through a typo. He was originally had a boring old plot about how his lover rejected him in front of the whole court and now he's evil. But there was a typo and instead of the text saying "she rejected him" it said "he rejected him" in front of the whole court. Suddenly, instead of being boring, you have the ruler of a country getting outed and rejected by his old boyfriend in front of the whole court which is loads more interesting. WotC kept it and expanded on it, making it the best Dark Lord story of the bunch and ended up with a fantastic tonal shift for the entire domain he ruled.

There was a period in my life when I had an idea about once a week that would grab onto me and hold my attention for about a month before I couldn't sustain it and the other three newer ideas before having to shelve it, only for it to come back around in rotation again a couple of months later.

This period only recently ended. When I suddenly decided to get serious about SoarΒ and there was justΒ Soar for almost a year,Β untilΒ Fair & EverettΒ came along. And now I have two projects, every now and then I'll think about another one for about a half hour and then my brain promptly re-shelvesΒ it.

I have no idea the number of ideas I've had that have become projects only to be shelved, abandoned and then re-imagined and reworked and recombined with another project doing something similar. I've gotten a lot more ruthless with this process over the years.

I really want to write an atheistic fantasy setting.Β I don't dislike the use of gods in a fantasy setting, but it's ubiquity bothers me. ASoIaF is about as close to an atheist setting as I've seen in a fantasy series, and even it's more agnostic than anything early on, and then later it sort of abandons that idea. What would a fantasy setting look like where most people definitively rejected the idea of a divine?

Edited by Tiny Dust!

Well, Redwall is almost an atheistic fantasy setting, despite being set in an abbey. They've basically got the ghost of Martin the Warrior, who was a good mouse, but not divine or anything particularly special otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Well, Redwall is almost an atheistic fantasy setting, despite being set in an abbey. They've basically got the ghost of Martin the Warrior, who was a good mouse, but not divine or anything particularly special otherwise.

Yeah but that's a setting where a god or gods aren't a major part of daily life (despite taking place at an Abby). I'm talking about a setting where the very idea of a god is absurd to most people.

Oh, like there would be some people who believe in gods, but they'd be the minority?

6 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Oh, like there would be some people who believe in gods, but they'd be the minority?

Like not even a minority. Those who worship a god would be practically unheard of. In fact the idea is coming to me now, I really like the idea of a missionary from another world coming to this one where nobody has even conceived of the idea of a divine being. That all their myths and legends are about their own exceptionalism rather then the deeds of any higher being. Their concept of the cosmos would be rooted in what they can explain via their limited sciences and magics. Β The closest thing they might have to religion is a limited form of ancestor worship. Heralding the great accomplishments of those who came before. So then you have this guy, all set to spread the good word, and finding that he first has to explain the very idea of a god to everyone he meets.

1 minute ago, Tiny Dust! said:

Like not even a minority. Those who worship a god would be practically unheard of. In fact the idea is coming to me now, I really like the idea of a missionary from another world coming to this one where nobody has even conceived of the idea of a divine being. That all their myths and legends are about their own exceptionalism rather then the deeds of any higher being. Their concept of the cosmos would be rooted in what they can explain via their limited sciences and magics. Β The closest thing they might have to religion is a limited form of ancestor worship. Heralding the great accomplishments of those who came before. So then you have this guy, all set to spread the good word, and finding that he first has to explain the very idea of a god to everyone he meets.

Mormons Conquer The Martians! In Spectacular 3-D!

Though, in Terry Pratchett, gods are basically fact and love atheists because they give them something to use for target practice.

Sorry, I just loveΒ being contrary. XP

I could see Terry Pratchett in the same general theme as Small Gods, where there's a greatly depowered god and their single worshipper, trying to start a religion in a world where people think the idea of gods is laughable. Made even more laughable by the fact that this god the main character is peddling can do approximately nothing.

I don't even think I would even lend any credence to the religion of the missionary. I think ultimately it would start out with this guy visiting this world to spread his faith and ultimately losing his own faith in the process, before finding new purpose in whatever the actual story would be. So his struggle to spread his religion and ultimate failure to do so would be background.

Another fun idea. He basically meets what he'd call a god in his travels, and when he points this out Β to the local they'reΒ basically just like: "Nah man, that's just the beast that devours worlds and regurgitates them in new forms. Let me tell you, he can be a real jerk sometimes."

I'm just spit balling right now.

And then the beast who devours worlds decides to just turn one into a giant world spitball.

This reminds me, Stephen King wrote this book called Revival which was about a reverend who apostatises after his wife and kid are killed in a car accident, becomes a charlatanΒ and uses experiments with electricity at his revival tent to try to see into the afterlife, only to find what exists beyond is

a Lovecraftian hellish void called The Null where humans are enslaved for eternity, presided over by the Old Ones and a Cthulhu figure called 'Mother.'

It's actually my least favorite King novel next toΒ From a Buick 8 and Thinner.

I remember trying to write an action comedy that was meant to satirizeΒ gender politics. Left that one because I couldn't find a wayΒ to write it that wouldn't make me out to be an arsehole and also none of the jokes would have landed.

Honestly, I think gender politics hasΒ a ways to go before there will be enough jokes about it to fill a comedy.

Β 

20 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Mildly related, I added some more background info for cosmic horror steampunk extravaganza whatever this is:Β https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hztJSqO8It-J_k3HprRuQTO5SKwGdBw6TwyQ8paPu1I/edit?usp=sharing

The first two pages are the old altar stuff, but I added some Harbinger background on page 3.

Please actually do something with this, because I am intrigued.

2 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Please actually do something with this, because I am intrigued.

I'm planning on writing at least 50k words on it for this year's NaNoWriMo.

So, if nothing else, there will at least be that. And I'm trying to get down my plot outline before then.

If you want, here's some more random stuff to whet your whistle:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QjXt84OkHR7VLmYL0yX3gLFA-L67fnjAOtBXJk46uuM/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1109ZmZjWKZ0JoQTKjU1llPHbQ_p6FnFkoPraTZrCoWA/edit?usp=sharingΒ