• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well,ย these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen. ย There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of theseย forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

Oh, I like Lawrence of Arabia too, but I almost don't consider that one a war movie. It's more of a biopic.

A lot of early war movies *were* propaganda, though, designed to make WWII look really appealing so that people would sign up to fight or otherwise support the war effort.ย 

29 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

Why does someone having an opinion you disagree with make that person a snowflake?

It doesn't.

You didn't know the guy.ย It wasn't his opinion but his personality, like everything that came out of his mouth was to lambast something on account of what he believed to be 'political and social injustice,'ย be it movies or parades or clothing lines. I do mean EVERYTHING, no matter how weak or overanalyzed his arguments were, and very weak they were but he'd still vomit them out with a passion.ย It also wasn't the first time this guy went on some overly political rant regarding genres. He said the horror genre was sexist and that modern dayย westerns are inherently racist.ย 

So... yeah. Moving on.

Oh, I like Lawrence of Arabia too, but I almost don't consider that one a war movie. It's more of a biopic.

A lot of early war movies *were* propaganda, though, designed to make WWII look really appealing so that people would sign up to fight or otherwise support the war effort.ย 

I'm aware of their initial intention during WWII, but it didn't always stay like that. Look at movies like Paths Of Glory or Apocalypse Now.

And a lot of war movies have tendencies to be part-biopic. It's one ofย the biggest theatrical goldmines next toย YA novels and comic books.

Edited by Noname215

How about film noir

Edited by Noname215

30 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

A lot of movies today are being used as propaganda by the US government. The Military offers funding to movies which portray military life in a positive manner and they can be kind of strict on how that money is doled out. So let's not pretend that movies which depict soldiers or warย aren't propaganda today. It's just that our government isn't directly making them, they're just willing to piggyback onto projects which either support or are willing to rework themselves to support a pro-military message.

But it's also true there are a lot of war movies which clearly don't have pro-military messages, or at least are ambiguous enough to not be propaganda. And many just aren't supported by funding from the US Government, I'm just saying that propaganda still exists and War films are still a part of that tradition. They're just smarter about how they get their message out now.'

As for Noir. I'm not super well versed in the genre to be sure, but I have absorbed enough of it's direct offerings and am familiar enough with it's indirect inspirations and tropes that I can say that I'm pretty fond of the genre.

Noir can be good sometimes, though it also feels like a very rigid genre with a lot of overused tropes.

Having said that, Grim Fandango is like my favorite adventure game and that's totally noir so what do I know?

I think the trick of noir is that noir stories tend to present these raw, realย stories that usuallyย dismiss typical Hollywood romanticism for its own gritย yet forย all of noir's depressing and real themes, underneath it is actually romantic.ย And the tropes only go as far as the author or director lets them. I believe it's possible to do a film noir or a period crime storyย without having to rely on visuals such as heavy shadow, tilted camera anglesย and veils of cigarette smoke. Noir is a look, but it's also a feel, and that feeling doesn't necessarily require the look.

I think the biggest problem with modern film noir, or neo-noir, is they all want to be Chinatown.ย 

Edited by Noname215

One of my favorite treatments of noir is a children's mystery series with the fourth grade noir detective, Chet Gecko. So many puns, particularly regarding the titles.

The Malted Falcon

Murder, My Tweet

This Gum for Hire

Trouble is my Beeswax

And my favorite quote that I can only partly remember: "What I knew about [can't remember] could fill the Grand Canyon... with enough room left over for the entire population of China, a medium-sized brontosaurus, and a tuba."

Some day I hope to also create such poetry.

I do have one noir phrase that I hope to construct an entire novel out of someday, regarding a character wanting answers: "If I've got to beat it out of your fists with my face, so be it. I'm not leaving until I know what's going on."

I always thought that themes you would find in noir could translate into the western genre.

17 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Well regarding the familiarity, I definitely had old 80s kidย adventure movies (The Goonies, The Monster Squad, The Lost Boys)ย and certain meddling kidsย in the back of my head, as well asย IT and Stranger Things. But rather than just do a carbon copy of the 80s token troop, I imagined going with actors as characters instead.

Again, it was just something I jotted down, not sure if I'll execute it or not. But in the off chance that I do, nice to know it doesn't initially sound like crap.

I somehow missed this reply earlier.

The familiarity is less to do with the 80's kids adventure thing (that's an obvious vein that you're lampshading with the meta-narrative of it being a show in universe) it's more that I feel like I've seen the celebrity having to return to the roots of his arrested development and actually grow up through facing an exaggerated or distorted version of a familiar and once happy time in his life alongside the abandoned and downtrodden peers he had in those halcyon days.

Oh wait, it's Galaxy Quest, I'm thinking of Galaxy Quest.

How's your thing going to set itself apart from Galaxy Quest thematically?

4 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I've never seen Galaxy Quest.

You should remedy this at once. It's amazing.

I always assumed a lot of the humor would be lostย on me because I'm not a Trekkie.

9 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I always assumed a lot of the humor would be lostย on me because I'm not a Trekkie.

Not the case, Galaxy Quest is its own thing, the jokes are funny because the movie sets up a world where those jokes have the context to be funny, you don't need any prior exposure to anything else to get it, because the people who made Galaxy Quest knew how to make a movie, which also happens to be one of the best comedies ever made.

Edited by Tiny Dust!

Well the horror comedy I was thinking of, what kicks it off is a huge party where the theme is the show these actors were on and someoneย plans on showing the filmed yet unaired final episode. And then it turns out the whole thing isย front for a coven of witches. The three aren'tย beckoned to save the world, it becomes a matter of them being on the run and trying to survive, which becomes harder after they're transformed into children during the 3rd act. I'm thinking something like Entourage mixed with Evil Dead 2.

EDIT: Damn you, inability to delete posts! Damn you to Hell!

Edited by Noname215

Sorry, triple post.

When trying to visualize a scene, do you ever draw it out?

I used to, but it never looked the way I imagined it. Sometimes I draw pictures of the characters, but full on scenes, I can't really capture the most interesting part in a static image.

20 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Sorry, triple post.

When trying to visualize a scene, do you ever draw it out?

I do this sometimes. ย I have a sketch book that I usually use just to make random drawings in, but sometimes I visualize various stories I have written, even in my comic stories - as they are usually just the characters talking. ย I've since used two of these drawings in a comic.

I drew the generational ship from Fluidity In Space, the unfinished story that I posted here earlier. ย I actually have two concepts - one is a scientifically accurate solar ship inspired by aย NASA mockup, and the other is a ship that's more like a ship with sails. ย The first is the one I picture in my head for the story, but the second one is neat too.

You ever had anyone give you feedback on a piece of your work and that feedback ends up just pissing you off

I'm usually happy to get any feedback at all. Usually I send someone a thing and they never read it.

Well a while ago I wrote a spec script for a police procedural about a three cops from different branches looking to put an end to an anarchist street gang responsible for a public square firebombing and theย assassination of a police chief and aย district attorney.

I showed it to my friend, who really dug it. He showed it to hisย girlfriend, who told me she was disgusted by it, saying thatย by not addressing police brutality or institutional racism and so on and so forth, I somehow had a lack of empathy and wasn't conforming to a post Rodney King view of the police,ย despite the fact that none of those things had anything to do with the script.

I really hate that woman.

Edited by Noname215

While I do think there should be more literature on heavy social justice topics... they don't apply to everyย story.ย 

I think about this a lot when I write though. If I decide not to approach a certain issue when I could, I ask myself why and if I don't satisfy myself, then I gotta come up with a better reason or fix the story.

I've been thinking about this a lot for the dieselpunk lovecraft thing I've got going, because while I love the 20s pulp feel, the actual 20s had a lot of bad stuff going on that would really muddy the waters of the story I want to tell. I don't want to ignore it, but at the same time, most of it doesn't really add a lot to a story of elder gods coming to eat the world (except, I suppose, to suggest that maybe the world should be eaten). Part of my solution has been doing an alternate history thing where Europe never really got into colonialism (or at least not to the same extent), and imagining how other cultures would have built up with less severeย Western influence. Also lots of other things are different and it's like two steps away from just completely being a fantasy world, so ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ .

I myself am more focused on entertainment than stuff like political or social themes. It's one of the reason I decided not to do the gender comedy because I knew all the stuff about feminism v patriarchy would muddy up what was meant to beย a silly action comedy.