Double Fine Action Forums

2 hours ago, Bookdust said:

Writing a "trailer" forΒ Soar.Β 

Surprisingly effective means of distilling an idea to it's basic parts.

Will you post it here when you're done? I'm kinda interested in the idea.

I've done that a few times. Of course, I had a finished rough draft of a script before I did so I wasn't just making stuff up.Β But I did improvise when I thought one up for The Eight Laws. "I won't have it be said that I didn't let you die like samurai."

This reminds me, I seriously need to come up with a better title for the pirate story. Under The Black Flag is already taken, by the nonfiction book by David Cordingly and some animated movie based on The Abrafaxe. It was kinda always just a default title just so I could refer to it as something other than "the pirate story."

Edited by Noname215

This is essentially a trailer for a movie I never wrote will never write.

Two people are running through an orange haze across sand dunes, a mother and child, in the distance there is the roar of engines. When the mother loses sight of the daughter, she starts looking around in every direction.

Suddenly, the woman is broadsided by a armored figure on a motorcycle. She crawls across the ground. When she looks back up, the figure stands above her, a black knight wielding an archaic sword, decorated with Led Zeppelin style symbols. The eyes burn with hellish fire. She screams as he cuts her down with a single swipe. A moment later, the figure removes his helmet.

It's Tim Schafer.

Cut to black.

Open on the ruins of an enormous metropolis, neon lights and holographs broken, a big rig hanging out the side of a building. Cars plaster the streets and the concrete, steel and glass of the surrounding buildings are full of shrapnel, bullet holes or missing all together. Fire and smoke bellow in the sky. Troops on the ground bear the mark of an electric guitar and wear bucket style helmets as they go about executing civilians and just creating many more casualties for a long finished battle. A hover vehicle shoots through the sky and lands just outside an almost phallic building. Posters and statue all pay tribute to something known as The D.

Someone steps out from the hovercraft along with two guards, same as the ones executing people in the streets. He walks through the hallways, the first line of Dust In The Wind by Kansas stuck on a scratchy loop over the loudspeakers.

In a grand hall, a man in camouflaged jeans crawls across the floor, blood dripping from a wound on his stomach. He looks to his side and sees a mountain of corpses, dressed in MotΓΆrhead style getups and riddled with bullets and lacerations.Β 

The man lies on his back. It is Kage. His eyeΒ is gone, coveredΒ with a dirty rag. He takes deep breaths as a large door opens up at the end of the hall.Β 

The one who entered with two guards aside talks with a sinister growl, like another voice overlapping his own.

"You never stood a chance to begin with."Β 

He removes a long green sword from his belt. It bears the symbols of The Pick Of Destiny.

"All his attempts to escape my grasps have failed, just as your attempts to stop me have failed..."Β 

Kage tries to get up but the being puts a heavy boot down on his chest.

Kage looks up into the eyes of what was once Jables.

"And now... you will die."

Cut to black.

A title, blue neon against a black screen: "Tenacious DΒ 2: Rize of the Fenix"

At the very end comes a little tidbit of a biker bar somewhere in another dimension called Satan's Alley. A hand slaps a five dollar bill down on the bar and someone hands the real Jables a beer. JablesΒ is wearing a blue button-up shirt, a fighter pilot cap, and purple-rimmed sunglasses. Seated next to him are an emoΒ chick, Sasquatch DadΒ and Dave Grohl.

He smiles and prepares to talk, but decides:

"Eh. %#$@&! it."

He takes a drink and then the trailer is over.

Β 

I really need to get back to writing my thing. Though, first I need to figure out Scrivener so I can move all my stuff there.

1 hour ago, Alcoremortis said:

I really need to get back to writing my thing. Though, first I need to figure out Scrivener so I can move all my stuff there.

OMG Scrivener is life. I don't use it much for prose writing anymore, as I prefer Sublime Text, but for organizing and storing all my related documents it is invaluable.

I've been reading Virginia Woolf's stuff due to today'sΒ Google Doodle. I like what I've read so far.Β 

All the time.

I figure someone's gonna be offended by everything, and maybe it'll be a legitimate issue, but there's only so much I can worry about it before I'm writing a progressive thesis and not a novel. My main goals are to avoid offensive stereotypes and not kill off the gay characters. I think I have mainly achieved those goals with my outline, though there could always be stuff I'm not aware of. But that's what editing is for.

(I *am* definitely going to tease killing them off a lot, though. Because otherwise there's no sense of danger. And it is a horror-ish novel)

3 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

All the time.

I figure someone's gonna be offended by everything, and maybe it'll be a legitimate issue, but there's only so much I can worry about it before I'm writing a progressive thesis and not a novel. My main goals are to avoid offensive stereotypes and not kill off the gay characters. I think I have mainly achieved those goals with my outline, though there could always be stuff I'm not aware of. But that's what editing is for.

This!

I've found myself writing a short story after following a writing prompt, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes.

I don't.

I have made it a point to not feel bad about what I write. If I want to write graphic violence or politically incorrect/dark humor, I'm damn well going to do it. It's just not in my system to think orΒ feel otherwise.Β 

38 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I don't.

I have made it a point to not feel bad about what I write. If I want to write graphic violence or politically incorrect/dark humor, I'm damn well going to do it. It's just not in my system to think orΒ feel otherwise.Β 

Yeah I think we already knew this about you, because of the stuff you share on here, and because I'm pretty sure you've asked a similar question before.

It may have been in the old thread, I don't remember.

So I'm kind of toying with the idea of doing an anthology of short stories. Something sort of in the vein of Doctor Who, in that each story is wildly different but has a throughline in the form of a specific character that appears as the protagonist orΒ a secondary character in each outing.

Edited by 𝙱 𝙾 𝙾 𝙺 𝙳 πš„ πš‚ πšƒ

Since you mention it I was actually going toΒ bring up the collabΒ thing again and suggest doing an anthology. Twilight Zone/Black Mirror/Tales from the Crypt style.

Playing with prose and practicing my dialogue. Liked how this came out.

Spoiler

They sit there for moment, silent but for the crackling of the fire and the strange animal sounds in the bush, occasionally taking a sip from their warming beers. Finally Rita speaks. "I want to keep her, Henry."

Henry's face pinches at the brow. Did he hear that right? "You mean adopt her?" Rita shrugs, but then she gives an affirmative nod.

"Whatever we need to do, adopt, foster care, whatever is on the table-"

"Rita, I don't know if we can afford that."

"We can afford it, we'll just cut some corners."

"We have the one child, shouldn't she be our responsibility first? Shouldn't Ingrid come first?"

"Ingrid loves her--"

"We don't even know where she came from, what she is!"

"We'll figure it out!"

"She could put us in danger!"

"I was in danger TODAY!"

Silence returns, somehow louder than the shouting, it hangs between them. Henry looks struck, he's not surprised at the thought, but that she voiced it, for her part, so is Rita.

"That's not fair, you know I'd never--"

"I know, I'm sorry I... I was so scared Henry. For myself, for Ingrid." Rita stifles the quiver in her voice, but a single tear streaks down her cheek. She turns her head from Henry and wipes it away. It's all Henry can do not to take her in his arms right now, hold her tight, but she'd hate that. "But then Mari was there, she risked her life to help me. Watching her fight that thing... I've never seen anything like it."

"I'm not denying what she did." Henry says, measuring his words carefully. "I'm grateful, I couldn't be more grateful. But there's a lot we don't know about her, about her powers, I'm just saying we should think about it."

Rita looks at Henry, the characteristic hardness in her eyes softening. Henry has only seen this look three times, the moment Rita proposed to him, the moment she said "I do" at their wedding, and the moment she told him he was gonna be a father. Henry already knows before she says it. "Henry, I love her."

Never as guarded as his wife, Henry allows the tears. "Then we're keeping her."

Β 

Edited by 𝙱 𝙾 𝙾 𝙺 𝙳 πš„ πš‚ πšƒ

Well, I had my second writer's group session, which was pretty fun. People in general seem to like my writing, though I think I need to work more on nailing a style.

Okay. I'm planning to finally have The Troop finished within the next two or three months. When I'm done, I'll have considered it an exercise and likely never look at it again except to pick apart my own mistakes. But when I am done, I'll post a link here in the thread so you guys can also pick it apart.

My mom and I started working on an adaptation of The Judge's House for stage. Not sure if we'll make the deadline, but it's been pretty fun.

@AlcoremortisΒ 

So I have an idea for an 80s style kids adventure movie about two brothers and a sister who move to New England with their mother after their father's passing and things become vitriolic between the siblings. The girl then discovers a playset mirror locked in a secret room in the basement that is actually a gateway into another dimension molded by a being with the mind of a child, whose world resembles a large blank void until someone with an active imagination steps in and everything they think of comes to life. It gives her everything a little girl could ever want, but unknown to her it is doing everything it can to keep her from leaving. So the brothers must venture into this strange Wonderland that can be both magical and sinister and try to save their sister.Β 

The dimension inside the mirror is basically made to resemble a world built of toys, candy, an amusement park, the world of a fairy tale, stuff like that. But when it begins to collapse as the two try to escape with the sister, it begins to look more like a melting, psychedelic blank canvas.Β The being inside the mirror cannot create on his own. He needs to always have a muse, someone whose imagination is greater than his. Which is why he abducts children.Β But eventually the children he has abducted have in turn deteriorated mentally due to becoming gaunt as a result of constantly having to create this world for the being and inevitably crumble into inhuman shells, so it's a race against time.

A main theme of the movie would beΒ the kids coming to terms with the passing of their father, the grief they feel, and ultimately using their love for each other to repair broken hearts and to push forward.