Double Fine Action Forums

Igiphy.gif

I waste so much freaking time worrying about and over thinking the social and political statements inherent in my work itself and in me producing said work that I'm amazed that I ever get anything else done.

Just trying to go into detail about the specific things which I worry over most is making me into an anxious basketcase, ugh!

I'm about at the point where I'm not setting out to offend anyone, but I know someone will take offense, and I'm just gonna have to be okay with that and write what I want to write and hope it grabs an audience who loves it in spite of whatever flaws it has.

I actually was planning on being as offensive as possible. I was really pushing the envelope in what I was addressing (like a joke involving a batshit crazy politician named Helga Rebecca Cooper who kicks off the whole gender), so much so in that it became less about me taking the piss out of gender issues by way of South Park and more about just having a mean streak. It stopped being humorous and that's when I knew it wouldn't work.

I'm tied between the two. My favorite sword fight scene is Liam Neeson vs Tim Roth in Rob Roy, and my favorite gunfight is the Battle of Bloody Porch from The Wild Bunch.

Also @Tiny Dust!Β I figured this might interest you. The kids from IT made their own Spotify playlists to match their characters. Check them out.

Another plot point I would have added to the horror comedy is that a bunch of execs use the anniversary party as a platform to announce they scooped up the franchise rights to the show the then child actors were on and plan on making a hip theatrical reboot with teen idols playing updated versions of the characters.Β The only former cast mate who's involvement is asked for is the big A-lister, while the struggling actor and the B-movie guy are just given four digitΒ checks. This really pisses them off and further drives the wedge between the three of them.

Anyway, I also sometimes form playlists that I believe a character would listen to to try to give a look into their personality. I'm glad to see the IT cast thought the same way.Β Rewatching IT alsoΒ gave me more of an idea of how the kids in The Troop should interact, especially during the bits where they're not exactly friends anymore.

Β 

Β 
Edited by Noname215

So, any of you guys planning to try a NaNoWriMo this year and get a jump start on a current project.

I'm thinking of doing it for the my cosmic horror thingee, but I need a good title.

I'm not currently working on anything in prose right now, otherwise yes I would.

Most of the titles I choose have a connection to a plot point or to the theme. Try that.

I kinda want to do a story on demonic possession/exorcism but can't think of anything that doesn't already go over what Friedkin and Blatty did. Also I don't want to do any New Age 'this house is a sanctuary for the spirits' psychic type garbage.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 had a pretty neat exorcism plotline in it.

[spoilers in case anyone wants to play the game unspoiled]

Spoiler

Basically, one of the potential companions/playable characters is a sort of medium and has a very "possessable" mind so gets lots of spirits and stuff hanging out in her head. Then, of course, she ends up with a demon prince in there. It's not a complete possession because she's more resilient to things taking hold of her than most people, but during the course of the game, you can see she's fighting a losing battle. And the only solution is to kill the demon.

In the Divinity world, most demons have a private demiplane where they keep all the souls they've corrupted after the people die and that's where they get their power (kinda like an external power supply). So to weaken the demon enough to kill it, you have to go into its demiplane and destroy all the souls there... and since this is a very powerful demon, there's a few thousand at least. So, basically, in order to save this one character, thousands of people have to be condemned to complete oblivion.

Β 

How about a story where someone close to the protagonist, a spouse maybe, is possessed, but it's a lot more subtle than in The Exorcist. The idea is that they're doing some very evil, but not so obvious stuff to mess up their loved one's life. At first there's just some minor hints, and you're lead to believe that the protagonist might be suffering from Capgras delusion or something. That could be pretty chilling, I think. I'm not sure how you'd make that interesting from the start though. Maybe it'd be more of a drama and focus on the emotional distress at first, then shift more towards psychological horror?

Ooh, I like that. ItΒ could be a gaslighting thing where the protagonist isn't sure if they're imagining it or not because nobody else seems to notice. And maybe they think the SO has a brain tumor or something causing the personality changes.Β 

That has a lot of potential for getting really twisted, particularly if the demon has access to the SO's memories.Β 

Kinda like season 2 of Buffy.

One idea I had involved a demon that doesn't just possess one person, but can possess multiple people and spreads like a plague.

So I'm thinking about music for The Eight Laws that reflects the main character Kitsuni's personality. Like a personal playlist. Not all songs would be in the finshed product, God willing that ever actually happens, but I had a few ideas for what the character's absolute favorite song should be. I've narrowed it down to two.

Β 

I'm really tired of infidelity being the lit fuse on a drama bomb at the beginning of a season of adult television. I just watched the Pilot to Friends from College and immediately the show is like: "Hey look, these two people are cheating on their spouses with each other, and isn't that gonna complicate their lives down the line?"

Yes show, but I've already seen this on the pilots for 50 other shows about grown-ups who can't seem to make intelligent decisions. I'm all for watching shows with stupid adults, and shows with infidelity, but maybe justify the infidelity by showing me why they feel like they need this thing enough to risk blowing their lives up to have it. Because I am so OVER it just being there at the start. It's not new or interesting anymore, it's kind of hack at this point, actually.

AND WHAT KIND OF MORON CHEATS ON COBIE SMULDERS?! I MEAN HONESTLY!!!

Β 

Edited by Tiny Dust!

On 10/6/2017 at 9:07 PM, Noname215 said:

One idea I had involved a demon that doesn't just possess one person, but can possess multiple people and spreads like a plague.

Okay, so weirdly, in one of my tabletop games... we had a very similar plot to this. Well, it wasn't a plague possession it was a demon that was so hideous to look at it makes anyone who sees it go mad and tear out their eyes and then anyone who sees any of the eyeless people also goes made and tears out their eyes.

Β 

51 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

So I thinkΒ SoarΒ might beΒ RockyΒ but with superpowers.

(does not know what Rocky is >.>)

20 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Β It's one of the greatest movies ever made. And one of the better love stories out there too.

Okay so how do I sum it up so you get what I'm after in the comparison.

Basically Rocky is the story of this guy who lives a hard, lonely life, barely making rent, with a dream of boxing, acting as an enforcer for a local crook. He's a thug, but he's got a good heart, and he hasn't really got it in him to do the job right. The only thing Rocky likes more than boxing is Adrian. This mousy spinster who works out of a pet shop where he buys his turtle food. He keeps trying to get her to agree to go out with him and she, too shy and self-conscious to agree, even though she wants to, keeps turning him down.

Most of the movie is the story of this guy's difficult and lonely life, before he finallyΒ breaks down Adrian's walls and they begin to find happiness with each other, while at the same time opportunity comes knocking at Rocky's door, a televised match against the greatest boxer in the world, Apollo Creed. It's the story of a man's redemption and triumph over the adversity of his situation.

It has my favorite movie ending in the world, it makes me cry. Seriously just go watch it, it's amazing.

But what I want to emulate with Soar is that Mari has a kind of shitty life. She fights to keep the lights on, and to try and take care of her mom, who doesn't make it easy for her. She dreams of leaving this place she's in, but can never quite make enough money to do so. She's crazy about this other girl, but while her flirtations get nibbles of interest, she hasn't been able to reel in an actual date with her. Mari is lonely, and broke, and nobody really respects her. Then something happens and it derails her fighting career, and she has to come back from that, and in doing soΒ these powers she's always had begin to grow and she starts using them to help people, rather than fight, she starts to make inroads towards an actual romance with this other girl, and she actually begins to embrace the community she's been trying to escape, realizing that they're all in the same boat, and what all these people need is a hero.

Edited by Tiny Dust!

Huh, I'll have to check it out sometime... though possibly after NaNo because it's like two weeks away and I have basically no outline done.

13 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

You're trolling, right?

52 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

You're trolling, right?

Nope, I've never heard of it. Though it doesn't really sound like the sort of thing I'd see on my own either. Not anything negative against the film, it's just there's certain genres that I won't really dive into without a recommendation.

It's just that it's a bit like having never heard of Jaws or The Godfather. Star Wars even. Rocky was to the 70's and 80's what Marvel is now. The movie is iconic. People who have never seen the movie know scenes from it because it's referenced and parodied a lot in other media.

Not judging you btw, its just odd for someone to not have heard of Rocky before.

Well, I also didn't know anything about Batman until like 2010.

I also haven't seen the Godfather since it's confession time. I have seen Jaws though. Weirdly my parents were okay with me watching lots of thrillers, but gangster movies were just a step too far.