Sign in to follow this  
Niber

Made with source code or reverse engineered / addon?

I've read/watched the behind the scenes stuff, but they just raise more questions than what they answer. What I'm trying to figure out is, was the remaster actually recompiled using the original source code, or was it just a  reverse engineered or add-on (similar to how ResidualVM was able to make improvements without having the source code)?

It's been a while since I read anything about it, but I'm pretty sure that they had access to the source code. I believe the main challenge was they did not have access to any of the raw 3D models, and had to get creative to replace textures and add lighting etc. to the remaster. This is wrong, see post by Thunderpeel

On 20/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, Niber said:

I've read/watched the behind the scenes stuff, but they just raise more questions than what they answer. What I'm trying to figure out is, was the remaster actually recompiled using the original source code, or was it just a  reverse engineered or add-on (similar to how ResidualVM was able to make improvements without having the source code)?

Hmm. The game was (essentially) written in LUA, which is a scripting language. As such it doesn't need to be "recompiled" as the engine just runs the scripts when the game loads. (This is also how ResidualVM works.) DF had complete access to the game's LUA scripts, as everyone does with a few simple tools, and built a new engine to run them. There was not really any "reverse engineering" going on.

Does that answer your question?

You can read about LUA and GF here: https://www.grimfandango.net/features/articles/lua-in-grim-fandango

On 22/12/2017 at 7:23 AM, flesk said:

It's been a while since I read anything about it, but I'm pretty sure that they had access to the source code. I believe the main challenge was they did not have access to any of the raw 3D models, and had to get creative to replace textures and add lighting etc. to the remaster. 

This is wrong. They had complete access to the original 3D models, they just decided to improve them with lighting instead of remodelling.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, ThunderPeel said:

Hmm. The game was (essentially) written in LUA, which is a scripting language. As such it doesn't need to be "recompiled" as the engine just runs the scripts when the game loads. (This is also how ResidualVM works.) DF had complete access to the game's LUA scripts, as everyone does with a few simple tools, and built a new engine to run them. There was not really any "reverse engineering" going on.

Does that answer your question?

You can read about LUA and GF here: https://www.grimfandango.net/features/articles/lua-in-grim-fandango

Wow that's a great response, and great theory, but how do you know it's true? I mean it makes great sense that they re-used the scripting while recreating the engine/"player" from scratch, but how did you know this? 

I'm just curious, I'm not questioning it however, since scripting should hold the test of time while an engine sounds like a nightmare to patch-up.

Posted (edited)

I've looked through the scripts myself with my own eyes, and I'm a developer (albeit web) by trade. I was also the person who launched "Grim Fandango Deluxe", which was a fan attempt at doing what DF would do themselves with Remastered.

Edited by ThunderPeel