Sign in to follow this  
AlfredJ

The Cave not on Wii U Eshop anymore?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I've searched online and couldn't find any mention of this (maybe I'm just bad at googling), but I just can't find The Cave on the Wii U Eshop, both when accessed on the console and in my internet browser. Costume Quest 2 and 140 are still there though. It's not a disaster if it's gone (although a giant shame) since I already own the game on PC, but since a friend recently gave us his old WiiU when he bought his Switch (our first console since the 360 days!) I thought it'd be fun to rebuy the Double Fine games on there. Tried looking for it by name, developer and publisher, but it's just not there. Everywhere I look online it's still listed as being on WiiU (including Double Fine's own games page: http://www.doublefine.com/games ), and I couldn't even find a single forum post about it anywhere. I know, it's an older game on an older console that was famously not that successful, but I'd really like to own this version as well, as long as I have the console. I'm a softie for Double Fine stuff. I guess I'm out of luck and it's just some sort of rights issue, but hey, I wanted to give it a shot (I don't know how quickly this thread will get noticed though, buried down here). 

Because it might be relevant, I'm on the European eshop (The Netherlands, to be precise). 

Love each other,

Your Pal Al

Edited by AlfredJ

Heya! The Cave was initially published by SEGA but the rights to the game recently reverted to us and so we are going through the motions of taking control of the game.

Unfortunately this has meant that all the console versions of the game were all taken offline. To get them back online we are going to need to resubmit them to the stores, and in some cases this is no longer possible, meaning The Cave may be gone forever from those platforms. :( We'll try to get them back, but i'm afraid we can't promise much at the moment! 

The good news is that we are now the rights holders of the game and can do other things with it from now on!

Ah I don't check these forums enough, sorry for not answering sooner! Thanks for the answer Spaff, that all makes sense (and it's great that you guys are gaining more control over your own properties). Given that the WiiU is a dead platform (and never that popular to begin with) I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but at least I still have the PC version, so I guess it's not the end of the world. It's still one of my favorite games you guys have made, and I don't know how likely a sequel would be, but I'll be there day one if the universe is willing. I've got lovely memories of playing it all night with 2 friends (while maybe not entirely sober) when it first launched.