Sign in to follow this  
DrLight66

No fullscreen option for PS4 port?

Greetings.  So unless I've overlooked it somehow, there's no fullscreen option for Broken Age on the Playstation 4?  The only two choices seem to be forced Letterboxing, either vertical with huge black bars on the left and right side of the tv screen or horizontal which does give fullscreen but at the cost of having the top and bottom of the actual video image cropped out.  Any chance a patch can be released to make the game fullscreen or at least do a proper fullscreen port when the Playstation 5 comes out in the next year or two?

Hi Doc, sounds like the game is working as intended and your tv is simply more widescreen than the game. It's not a 3D game so it can't simply change FOV or whatever to fit any screen. I believe DF did try to make sure that nothing important would be missed out if it was cropped for the more widescreen devices, though.

Basically, it's like playing a 90s game or a 30s movie on a modern telly - pillarboxing is inevitable. I know this bugs some people but personally I don't see the issue - those black bars are no more distracting than the tv's bevel or the outside world surrounding it. I'd much rather have the full amount of visual information than have it cropped to fit my screen - it's like buying the Mona Lisa then cutting a few inches off the top and bottom because it doesn't fit the frame I bought from B & M.

Hi TimeGentleman, thanks for the quick response!  Work has been hectic and I'm just getting around to replying.

So anyway, I partially agree with your reply, but I wish that Broken Age on PS4 had a similar fullscreen option as Grim Fandango Remastered, where there's an option to stretch the letterboxed screen to look like it's native widescreen (but at the cost of the image being stretched).  Currently the only fullscreen option for Broken Age on PS4 is the "Horizontal letterboxed" viewing option, however the top and bottom slivers of the screen are cropped out so some of the graphics aren't within view.

But also, from what I've read about the PC version is that it received an patch sometime after the game was released to have a natural widescreen/fullscreen viewing option, but i could be wrong about that.

Hi there.

Indeed, Broken Age is designed with 16:9 monitors and televisions in mind, with the additional option to display in vertical letterboxed mode. While we tried to accommodate as wide a range of display options as possible, the native art is only so wide.

In this case, the team chose not to include an option to stretch the image because it was designed for widescreen from the start, whereas the option in Grim Fandango Remastered was included because that game's native display is only in 4:3 and some early feedback suggested users might like an option to stretch the image so that it may fill the screen.

There are no plans for updates to the PS4 version, but hopefully the black bars aren't too distracting.

Hi Vic, thanks for your response.  With the announcement of the Playstation 5, if Broken Age ends up getting a PS5 port I hope a stretched fullscreen image option is included.  I don't know how high of a resolution the game can be designed to run at, but a higher resolution would make stretching the image far less stretchy and much more native.  

As for the black bars, it just feels like the vertical letterbox display is way too squished and small and that the black bars are pretty huge on both sides of the screen, that's my opinion anyway.

10 hours ago, DrLight66 said:

Hi Vic, thanks for your response.  With the announcement of the Playstation 5, if Broken Age ends up getting a PS5 port I hope a stretched fullscreen image option is included.  I don't know how high of a resolution the game can be designed to run at, but a higher resolution would make stretching the image far less stretchy and much more native.  

As for the black bars, it just feels like the vertical letterbox display is way too squished and small and that the black bars are pretty huge on both sides of the screen, that's my opinion anyway.

The PS5 will allegedly run PS4 software, so I doubt a PS5 port would be warranted.

Based on my experience with both Broken Age, the full art is in 4:3, with direction that makes it playable in 16:9; so, if you want to see all of the art, you need to play the game in 4:3 (pillarboxing); and, if you want it to fill the screen, you're going to end up with a cropped and zoomed image. It's the same situation in Grim Fandango Remastered--the original art is all 4:3, and the 16:9 mode simply crops the top/bottom and zooms in; although, there is also a second 4:3 display mode that fills in those pillarboxes with static art.

In order to see all of the art and have it fill your screen (and not screw with the proper aspect ratio), a bunch of the art would need to be redone to not only be 16:9-native, but also be usable in 4:3, which would take a significant amount of time, effort, and money, and then you'd end up with the same situation where one mode shows the full art and the other crops it.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to patch Broken Age to add border art to its pillarboxes. Even if there was border art specific to each environment, I would think that would be cheaper and easier to implement than redoing the existing 4:3 art, and it should satisfy those who are averse to black pillarboxes while maintaining the original artistic intent.