Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Burger

Orthodox Schaferists

We are too eager to debunk the evidences we have been handed, methinks.

So here's what I've got. The Facebook group "Orthodox Schaferists" is fairly devoted to digging up info on the mystery game--they don't site their sources because, evidently, they *are* the sources. And, according to those nerds, some interview Tim gave awhile back evidenced that the Planet Earth might well be a character in the upcoming title, "in a sense". Also, the game will purportedly have themes dealing with Creation.

I can see both of those rumors tying into the Jack-Black-Escapes-From-Hell theme (think creatively, like Jack Black/Tim Schafer, and you too will maybe be okay with the correlations). Especially since Tim was expected to present the game at Leipzig, but "didn't" yet still managed to (according to that one image) show the delegates The Road to Hell. *Also*, anyone who has seen any amount of Jack Black and read any amount of Tim Schafer would know that Brutal Legend is an incredibly Black/Schafer title to create. It's all about cover art, with a title like that.

So that's my story.

Earth and Creation, eh?

So it will take place on Earth perhaps, and you'll be able to create items!

You said be creative.

Do you have a link to the facebook page? I'd like to see that.
Ditto. How about a link to solidify your fantastic story, please?

Do you have a link to the facebook page? I'd like to see that.
Ditto. How about a link to solidify your fantastic story, please?

Hardly matters. They could be making it up themselves. This is just another rumor I'm afraid. The only information we have is the presumed title. Still. And it'll probably stay that way (or close to it) until the official announcement.

Well, truth be told, I *am* the nerd from Orthodox Schaferists. That's not a big plot-twist, I know, but bear with me. There has been so much god damn speculation about this game that the one humble magazine article from which I plagiarized this information about the upcoming title has been completely lost. I can recall it in vivid detail for any of you that, like me, want to dig it back up:

* It's probably only a couple years old at most. Psychonauts had been out and been successful already.

* Its pages are a kind of burlap brown throughout most the article--oh, because each page is an image of a scanned-in magazine page.

* The magazine looked authentic; it was professionalized, what with thoughtful layout design and little side columns that gave some back-story on Tim's career.

* The article is maybe 8 pages long.

* There are some cool model-style photos of Tim scattered throughout.

* The theme of the article dwells mostly on creativity, on the death of the adventure genre, and only barely tickles the topic of the upcoming project.

* This is about Tim Schafer. I do not lie about anything pertaining to him. This is not a rumor, this is merely a beautiful flower of information--cut away from its roots, but set in water to at least look nice for a bit before dying.

I googled to exhaustion search terms like: "Tim Schafer Magazine Interview" and "Double Fine Adventure Genre" and several other random combinations of other less relevant queries that brought up only article after article after article of aforementioned jackassery. I'll keep looking, but it's hard. It's really hard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... love me. Please.

On the contrary, Pile o' Kittens. You are on the Double Fine Action Forums and as such these are the brightest, most golden online times of your youth/life. There is no room for disappointment here.

Oh the irony. Now THIS is one of the search results. I just don't think I'll ever re-find it. I've invested hours--actual transient hours--and nothing has come up. Except for that 65 minute lecture he gave awhile back (before Psychonauts) about Art and Fear of Creativity and Character Creation. That lecture is AWESOME. I actually paused it at one point, found a notebook, and began penning notes. I don't even usually do that when I'm being graded on participation!

Speaking of which--Tim Schafer, sir, you need only look as far as these boards to uncover some truly intriguing/intriguingly true characters. Yeah and don't mean for that slash to be so cheesy, but it just came about when I didn't know which adjective to emphasize more.

I just can't agree--so long as Grim Fandango and LeChuck's Revenge still exist--that Psychonauts is the best game ever made. Ever. I can agree that it is the best platform game ever made. Even better than any Mario games.

I dunno. I don't consider it a platformer in my book. Sure the first and last stage are pretty platform oriented. But I really consider it more of an action adventure game. But w/e I still loves it. I think it'd be impossible for me to actually rank my favorite games. Too hard.

Uhhhh, hi.

Hate to break it to you, but...

Action-adventure is pretty much synonymous with platformer. It just has a little bit more story (difference between Mario and Zelda, really).

Maybe I'll just make up a category for it. Awesome? Yea that's what I categorize it as. And delicious.