Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kroms

Setting Ophelia on fire

There's a thread for minor suggestions, but this doesn't fall into that - I'm guessing it's way too late, but --

I really, really loved the demo. And my heart is pounding as fast as the drums in "Children of the Grave" (which is stuck in my head). I've been championing this game from the day it was announced, and it's awesome knowing it was worth every "awesome". Awesome.

But there was one little thing that bothered me. I had this sudden evil urge to hit Ophelia with the axe...and nothing happened. I find this pretty strange, because in all previous Tim Schafer games, that kind of thing was usually well thought-out. What's almost always made the games stand-out, for me, apart from the writing and the overall excellence of the gameplay, art, et all, was that kind of attention to detail. It's something that only a handful of developers do and something I've always enjoyed.

It may just be the demo. So I created this thread in the hopes someone from Double Fine would tell me if you guys added that kind of stuff in the final build. It's no deal breaker if you didn't, I mean I enjoy setting ten year olds on fire and all but I won't hold it against you guys if you thought it was better to skip out on this stuff this time around.

Edit: Fixed the song name. What a spectacular failure.

I think part of it might be the stage battles. If your stray swings kept bouncing off your 40+ units, it might mess up the battle flow. But that's just me

I guess it's understandable for fellow units. I still wonder about those who actually factor into the story, though.

I've noticed, that you can actually zap her with lightning or pyro when she still pretends to be druid. She also never attacks, just walks really close around you.

Oh and concerning hitting allies, the dynamic of the Brutal legend is kinda different from Psychonauts. In Psychonauts the characters didn't have any health or participated in the battles, so it could be done. In Brutal legend they are the active participants, who (probably) can be killed, and considering that there are frequently moments when you will be fighting in the middle of the clashing armies, there's a good chance that friendly fire was disabled so you wouldn't hurt your allies.

Yeah, and this is true of Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and, to an extent, Full Throttle.

I'm interested in seeing the final build. One way of going around it is to have a bit of a limit on who you harm or don't. So, for example, in the middle of a really big fight friendly fire is off, but at some other point they (say the headbangers) have scripted reactions. I do think that, at the very least people like Ophelia, should have had that kind of thing. Butttt that's just me, and I'm going to guess that DF knows a bit more than I do.

Sign in to follow this