Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pashapup

Psychonauts Doodles and Drawings

Does anyone know where I can find a ref picture of either Thorney Towers or the Circus Caravan? I'm doing a clay project in art class, and I wanted to do something along the lines of either of them.

Do you want a picture of the whole thing from far away or from eye level on the ground? Screen capture could provide the latter. The only place there might be others would be the mental vault concept drawings.

I enjoy Lili. Also, if you want refrence, you could try checking out a playthrough video. Or concept art at the Psychopedia.

picture of the whole thing. I found a vault picture of the tower, but there aren't any for the caravan, and I was really leaning toward making the clay based off of the caravan, since I'm not sure if I could actually make a clay asylum without it basically defying all laws of clay-gravity.

I made a clay asylum once. Guess how much it failed?

I'm afraid to ask, judging by how difficult it looks to make on paper... (Actually, curiousity has gotten the better of me, how d'it go?)

Are you working in modeling clay or firing clay? If you are going to fire it, you could make it in sections, like they do with complicated anime figures, and then assemble it. If you're using bake-able plasticine, you could do the same thing. Nothing says you have to make the whole thing all at once.

Are you working in modeling clay or firing clay? If you are going to fire it, you could make it in sections, like they do with complicated anime figures, and then assemble it. If you're using bake-able plasticine, you could do the same thing. Nothing says you have to make the whole thing all at once.

We are firing it, and I really like that idea! Thanks, I'm going to try that out.

I made a clay asylum once. Guess how much it failed?

I'm afraid to ask, judging by how difficult it looks to make on paper... (Actually, curiousity has gotten the better of me, how d'it go?)

Terrible. IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THORNY TOWERS. It's a grey cylander with some windows, foliage, and a big brain on top.

That sounds more like the distorted vision tower from the brain tumbler experiment, which is actually more interesting looking than Thorney Towers.

That sounds more like the distorted vision tower from the brain tumbler experiment, which is actually more interesting looking than Thorney Towers.

It's kinda worse. The statue, I mean.

Terrible. IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THORNY TOWERS. It’s a grey cylander with some windows, foliage, and a big brain on top.

Oh man, thats rough. Yeah, I've had clay projects turn ugly in the past too, I was working on a really cool fox head once, and the clay itself turned out PERFECT, and the glaze color I used (I thought it was dark red and Black) turned out to be an ugly salmon pink and a washed-out navy, and it completely ruined the sculpture.

Well, I got the sketches for it done today, and I started on the base. So far so good.

thornytower.jpg

thornytower.jpg.406b4f1bf6ba9e3792de1702

So far I've gotten half of the tower part done of the asylum. I'm soldering the railing, weather vain, and some other little parts with copper wire (I'm adding the wire AFTER firing the clay, of coarse.) People at my table in art are betting on whether or not the clay tower will actually turn out okay without exploding/breaking/collapsing/failing.

The teacher looked at me like I was insane when I told her I was going to solder the railing together.

So uh

How's that clay tower going??? I am anxious for news of its demise/awesomeness.

So uh

How's that clay tower going??? I am anxious for news of its demise/awesomeness.

It turned out good! I did the top and base seperate, and they stuck together well after glazing. The windows looks really good, a very glowing yellow, and the tower was glazed good and sleek dark black, though some green vines I did around it came out a bit too pale. The very top part (the little roof with the weather vein on it) got tilted in the kiln, so I'm currently trying to get it unstuck and set back in place. After that, I'm going to make the railing and weather vein and such out of copper wire, and it'll be done!

Also, I've been working on a pics of Vernon and his dog, Lady.

Sign in to follow this