Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrQuizmo

A New Site!

Commenting is fixed!

Similar to the old comic viewer how?

Thank You!!

Remember that bar that went under the comic were you could scroll through all of them ? That´s what I´m talking about

Keep up the good work.

P.S.:Just found the archive to be 1000x better , so nevermind :D

Please... never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever never ever ever ever ever EVER! Get moderaters...

All we need is Klint

Ive been to forums with lots of Moderaters, and all they ever do is abuse there power and think that they're better than everyone else. Also as soon as a topic gets remotely weird its locked straight away. DFAF functions perfectly well without a major moderator precence.

dammit klint fix the time wasps i am tired of posting right after someone else posts and having my post display above that person's post

TIME WASPS!? D:

I KNEW IT! THE TIME TRAVELING WASPS HAVE ARRIVED TO KILL US ALL! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIVVVEEESSSSSS!

Dudes........... you ruined your website :(

Also: The RSS newsfeed is now broken?!

Who's responsible for this monstrosity? :(

Wah.

you have to take the /news.php out of the url now

yay broken links

Ah, thanks! Great job breaking the newsfeed guys... Doesn't breaking it kind of defeat the whole purpose of having one? How many people are going to bother to come to site and ask for the new feed?

I REALLY dislike the new site. To me it looks like someone who has never designed a site before did it, both in terms of usability and design. Considering the wealth of artistic talent inhabiting Double Fine I'm really surprised. The little flash things are pretty, at least, and forums look nice.

I've stopped using Flash entirely. Deleted it from my system. For the past couple of weeks it's been crashing my Firefox when it encounters an animation, and sometimes it crashes the entire computer. I just got tired of it. I tested with IE8, Firefox3, Safari, Chrome, and Opera. They all crash. I tried earlier versions of Flash, but they all crash. I think the Flash 10 installation left something in there that screws it even for the early re-installs. I'm not going to spend an entire day rebuilding this carefully tuned system. I tried Gnash, but it doesn't work on the newer versions of SWF. So, no more flash. That means no YouTube (yay, no more imbecility) and no games, and no banner ads, and no pop-ups. I feel like a hippie in a commune living on an organic diet. My brain doesn't get bowel cramps anymore and my mental breath smells better.

The new site uses Flash. There is lots on this new site I can't see because I'm not using Flash any more. Capisci?

Actually, Flash is working again. No crash so far. I uninstalled KLM Mega Codec Pack and Quicktime, thinking they might be interfering. I also bought PCTools Registry Mechanic and fixed the whole registry. Rebooted. Installed Flash again. Crashed within five seconds of the first video I watched (the latest Foamy cartoon.) Shook my head. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me six times, I must be retarded. Uninstalled Flash and rebooted. Installed the latest ATI video drivers. Got prompted for a new version of my AVG security so I installed that and rebooted. Installed the KLM Mega Codec Pack again (32 and 64 bit). Opened Firefox which went to YouTube again since it had crashed, rather than my home page, and the video started playing. Duh-whaaaaaa...? Flash had been uninstalled. I checked the Add/Remove Programs, and Flash isn't listed. I looked through the Programs directory. No Flash. Yet Firefox has Flash 10 listed as a plugin. I think maybe it was put in by KLM, which to my mind means it's stable. I trust KLM and their open source over Adobe the way I'd trust my mother over, say, a rattlesnake.

If you work with computers long enough, you think you get used to stuff like this. Problems that crop up and then seem to go away, all for no reason. It's strange attractors in the carnival of chaos, my friend. Strange attractors.

That was not nice, ThunderPeel2001 :( .

Eh? Why should I be "nice"? I love DoubleFine, which is why I took the time to post. If I'm in a minority then they probably should ignore me, but if there are plenty of other people who think their site looks unprofessional then they should probably fix it. People afraid of being honest isn't going to help anyone. Remember: This is a company website, not a small fan site.

Massive fans of DF just piling praise onto them isn't useful... they already know you love everything they touch.

if you are not going to be "nice", at least be specific

what do you not like about the site? what would you change?

Jeez, where to begin? There's the fact that it's designed in a box shape so that you have to scroll down the page within a tiny window. Right now, for example, the video posted in it doesn't even fit. It's the most basic mistake made by graphic designer when designing a website: They design it in Photoshop and forget that the site is already in a browser window that scrolls perfectly well. (I'm not saying that's what happened here, but that's how it looks, and it certainly doesn't work in a practical sense.)

The "ticket stub" buttons (I guess that's what they're supposed to be), at the top of the page (eg. News, Comics, etc.), look like they've been designed by someone with limited graphical experience. Their shape looks like a ticket stub - great idea! - but then there's this weird grey gradient stuck on them and, even weirder, on top of that is a plain grey box. I still can't decide if the designer actually intended to do that. They just don't look right at all and are probably the ugliest thing on the page.

Then there's the weird smaller grey buttons on the upper-right hand side ("What is Double Fine", "Jobs", etc.). Again I can't believe that someone thought, "Ah! Perfect! Shapeless grey blobs. Just what we need". It looks more like the designer got stuck for ideas.

Finally there's just the horrible light grey colour that was picked to go everywhere (like on the ticket stubs and, especially on the "Double Fine Action News" banner). It doesn't go at all with the warm orange background. (Basic colour theory seems to have gone completely out the window.) The words "Double Fine Action News" are completely lost on the page.

The news page (http://www.doublefine.com/news/) is better, but still has some weirdness in the jagged designs on top of the side columns.

Other than those complaints, I do like the site. I love the orange "circus tenty" background. I like the little flash thingies (they're animated very nicely). I like the little scroll at the bottom of the pages. I like the headings, like "Exotic treasures from around the world". I think the black works nice against the orange...

But for a company gaining recognition for the awesome talent of its awesomely talented artists, it's a surprisingly poorly executed home page.

The video posted fits in mine fine.

However, the comics won't let me post a comment. I wish to show my approval of Gabe Miller's use of the word 'grok'.

The mouse-count images seem to be gone from the early news posts as well, which saddens me.

The video posted fits in mine fine.

However, the comics won't let me post a comment. I wish to show my approval of Gabe Miller's use of the word 'grok'.

The mouse-count images seem to be gone from the early news posts as well, which saddens me.

Hmm. The video does fit in Internet Explorer (just checked), but not in Firefox.

I think Info Cow or Klint should update the Guide to Decency. We could use a rule about creating new topics when one already exists. I'm looking at you Brutal Legend sub-forum!

don't listen to him klint your website is at least a 6 out of 10 in my book

I'd agree with 6/10... I'd just expect 11/10 considering the talent working there. It's odd because there are other parts of the site which look good (like the Psychopedia section).

*shrugs*

The site doesn't actually let you read old post via the search option anymore. The new set up looks cooler visually but seems to have a flaw in this regard at least. Unless you go back page by page you can't view older news stories

I don't know if it's just my browser, but the ad for T-shirts is covering up the comments on the newest news post. Also could you change the check in the Remember Me box's color. The black is too close to the background color to see clearly. I thought it wasn't working for a while.

That's also occurring in mine. The main page also has lost all of the windows below the top menu except the news window.

Two things, Klint. The videos posted in Tim's blog on the front page scroll up in front of everything, and are not limited to appearing in the frame they are in. At least on my computer. The text in the column scrolls up just inside the frame, but the still picture frames of the videos appear at the bottom of the browser screen and scroll up on top of everything else. Two: the pinbacks advertising frame doesn't have a hot spot. Minor stuff. Also I think the What is DoubleFine? and Jobs and Forums buttons could be a little more stand-out. They look like an afterthought. I know, the forums cost the company money and don't generate any revenue, but, heck, that's why we're all here.

The RSS feed is still updating pretty strangely for me.

Yup, they totally lost all their old readers. Oops. (They tried to put an extra link to the new feed, but they didn't put it on the actual old feed that everyone subscribed to previously.)

The new RSS feed is here and should work find for you:

http://www.doublefine.com/rss/

Sign in to follow this