Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
muteki13

The evidence is starting to add up.

Okay, I searched the Trademark Office, and there are a total of 3 trademarked names under Double Fine. Razputin, Psychonauts, and Brutal Legend. Please note that there is an umlaut over the "u" in Brutal Legend. Sierra filed their trademark of the name on 9/6/07, which is the same day that the "New Game is Announced" post was made.

Now at first sight this name seems distasteful, but I think this might be a case of an ironic title. Think along the lines of "Armed And Dangerous". Imagine a cover with a Razputinesque 10-year-old holding a spatula or something and sporting a bad assed sneer. That seems pretty believable since I doubt Schafer is going Soldner on us.

It could be a shooter (no joke) that in itself, makes fun of/with all other shooter games.

He keeps posting pics of his feet from a "first-person perspective", and he has said that this is something new for him (in an interview from a while back) and that he has wanted to do something like this for a while now. Brutal Legend suggests something "Brutal" and "Legendary".. which are both difficulties found in the FPS genre like Halo (legendary) and other shooters. It could be something that actually has a story (as does all of Tim & DF's games) for the shooter genre like Bioshock, and it could even be something that switches from first person to third person perspectives like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Could this be a genre that Double Fine would even consider?? I wouldn't expect it (nor do I think gamers who are familiar with Double Fine's previous work) and something unexpected wouldn't be unlike them.

This is just random speculation and I could be entirely wrong. How fun it is to speculate though..

I'm so tired of FPS games, but it might make the game more appealing to more people than just a platformer-rpg. If it is an FPS, it'll totally own over Bioshock.

It could be a shooter

Man I hope not. If I see one more FPS I'll use pyrokinesis on it.

*tosses a pyrokinesis plasmid to muteki13*

Again, it was only speculation. It could be anything.

It's just overdone, and to someone like me, they all seem the same (I play quake, quake3, UT2k4, HL2+mods, and that's IT, I hate everything else I've played) =P I don't need fifty FPS games. After I upgraded my computer I was so pissed off at myself for doing so after I realized... all there was for PC was RTS and FPS games. Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, and Half-Life 2. That's all I need in that genre. >_>

and whatever doublefine makes.

What's with all the FPS hating? It's a decent genre.

There's too many FPS's and not enough everything else. That's why.

Every once in a while, an FPS I like comes along and I'll like it. Otherwise, I stay clear of them. But I do give games a chance before I critque them.

Yeah they're all right, I guess most of them are just better looking rehashes of the same old crap...

I probably play RPGs more than anything. Fallout 2...god, if it wasn't for Psychonauts, I'd call that the best game ever.

Maybe you people shouldn't read too much into the news page. Just relax for a minute and think of the funny pictures of sights and feet as ... ahem ... funny pictures of sights and feet! Ok, and an action figure. Or could this possibly a clue that Double Fine is developing a game about giant hippie feet trying to invade France ruled by a grouchy dictator and his evil twin growing out of his head? Apparently! This reminds me of the day when some savages passed by on my street corner and thought that every time the lights went to red their bowels were doomed. Funny little creatures.

bioshock already exists. i'm sure that tim & co. are cooking up something... incredible. it will make me ashamed of being so unabashedly in love with bioshock and 2k games right now.

There are plenty of non-FPS PC games, you just have to look. ;)

Why are there so many? Because really, FPS sucks on anything else. Sure, it can be done, like Halo, but Halo is like a girly FPS in comparison with a real one. The PC versions just pale to any other FPS as well, which makes it look even worse.

No one's forcing you to buy FPSs, so stop hating them. ;)

*Goes back to playing FF7, Trackmania, Resident Evil 4, Granado Espada, Madden 08, a billion emulators, Alice, Psychonauts, Flatout 2, Beyond Good & Evil and of course Prey, Planetside, Earned In Blood, Bioshock and America's Army, because even with the other games, you always crave a good headshot.* ;)

Or could this possibly a clue that Double Fine is developing a game about giant hippie feet trying to invade France ruled by a grouchy dictator and his evil twin growing out of his head?

Giant hippie feet already invaded France. Seriously.

We allready have a shooter that makes fun of shooters. It's called Timesplitters.

And yet, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes that it will be a spoof. Why? Because of that umlaut. Even in German there is no umlaut in "brutal". Shooter devs love to throw umlauts in everywhere because they think anything German looking is tough, so it would be spoof-like to make fun of that.

Maybe it's a character's name. Oh that's been done.

Maybe a western? Fighter? Space Western? Space time travel western fighter?

Probably still will be an adventure game, though. Why don't they just announce it already?

I'm wondering when they'll finally announce details of this project. Certainly this summer has seen a lot more teasing by Schafer and his cohorts than we've seen previously (Hence that rumour about the announcment being at Leipzig). But most of the major events are over for this year, and I can't see the announcement waiting until the GDC in March or next summer's various events. Just wondering if either DF or Vivendi have something planned.

Probably only a coincidence, but 30th September marks nine years since the release of Grim Fandango (which is a scary thought. Does not seem that long ago).

If Tim's in charge though, even if it is an FPS, or something, you know it can't go wrong!

Also, I don't hate FPS games. There are ones out there that I love. I just don't like a majority of the one's I've played.

Actually, the first thing that came to mind when I heard Brutal Legend was a comedic version of Shenmue.

According to Gamespot they'll be officially announcing the title in '08

2008! I can't wait that long just to know what it's about! Forget that, by then somebody will have had to let something slip somewhere. And when they do, I'll be all over it like a mongoose on a garter snake.

Take that, snake.

...Or I'll forget about it, my interest in things like this tends to rise and fall with the tide.

A neurotic unreliable tide.

Double Fine Action News is my homepage, so every time I open the internet I am forced to think about how long a wait it is to 2008.

Double Fine Action News is my homepage, so every time I open the internet I am forced to think about how long a wait it is to 2008.

You sir have stamina...and lettuce.

I admit I am a bit of a FPS junkie although the genre is very stale at the the moment. Id haven't made a decent game in ages, 3drealms have disappeared of the face of the FPS planet and even Bioshock was a monumental let down. However Valve are still great (EP2 looks very cool, seems they are moving away from the rail-shooter format a bit and Team Fortress 2 just looks fantastic). They are so much better than everyone else its not funny. If Tim Schafer gets into the FPS market though I will be very interested!

Imagine a dream team of Valve + Double Fine! Valves FPS expertise and technological know how (something I don't see Valve getting credit for is their tasteful use of new graphical effects, they never OD on the bloom and HDR, not to mention their amazing virtual actor tech) combined with Double Fines humour and innovation.

What's wrong with Bioshock? From the demo at least, I think it's one of the coolest FPSes I've ever played.

I'm a hard core System Shock 1/2 junkie and it was marketed as the 'spiritual successor' to those games. Quite simply it doesn't measure up. I could go on and on about what I feel is wrong with it but you probably don't want to hear it. Some basic things are its too easy, resources are far to abundant, many immersion shattering things that simply didn't need to be there (you can't swim, even in the ocean where the plane crashes? why are there invisible walls? the hacking mini-game is silly etc).

If you are interested in knowing exactly what I don't like then let me know but you have been warned.

I do think Bioshock is a good game just nowhere near as great as it should have been.

Sign in to follow this