Sign in to follow this  
panfriedcharlie

Psychonauts -- more popular than you'd like to think?

If Psychonauts was super popular and everyone loved it and it was a huge hit, do you think you would like it as much?

The above quote is a post from the general forum.

Why do people consider it unpopular? I know it didn't sell well in the beginning, but after critics lavished their praise on it, sales picked up -- I believe a few weeks after its release it was the 10th best-selling game at EB. After that, sales leveled off at around 100k units according to a CNN article on Majesco. Not bad for an independent adventure platformer that got dropped on its head by Microsoft.

This kind of game has never done well -- plus there was little to 0 marketing to go along with this thing -- it was word of mouth city! It did well!

I don't have the figures, but I would make an educated guess that if Valve found it profitable to add the game to Steam, and it having been since released in European markets, plus as evidenced by the rabid fanboyism on these forums for better or worse (A Psychnoauts role-playing forum? Are you people serious? Yeesh.) I think that things are a little better.

Why else would VU be interested in publishing the next Double Fine game?

Not to mention that nearly every gamer I talk to regularly has at least heard of the game and has good things to say about what they've seen/heard of it if they haven't played it.

Just a little rant post -- it's disheartening to see people downplay the success of the game that has made a lot of people think twice about the direction of good, creative games. I've lurked in this forum and seen people painting Psychonauts as an underdog game, when really -- it's helping to change the industry.

(A Psychnoauts role-playing forum? Are you people serious? Yeesh.)

If I were you, I wouldn't let Bosch hear that. Just a heads up. There may be rocks flying through your window.

It's a well known game, yes, but only in certain small circles. Not like games like Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Halo. Those games have masive seas of fans. Psychonauts is popular and well known in these small circles though, I assure you. It just didn't get noticed as well because of how anal some gamers can be about trying something off the beaten path and because most of the money was spent on making the game incredibly good and fun, instead of marketing.

I'm happy with that though. I would rather play a great game instead of some halfassed one where all the money was put into making it look good in ads and it turns out that it sucks.

(A Psychnoauts role-playing forum? Are you people serious? Yeesh.)

If I were you, I wouldn't let Bocsh hear that. Just a heads up. There may be rocks flying through your window.

If I were you, I'd learn to spell "Bosch".

And to OP, not everyone shares your opinions, stop being so narrow-minded.

I always want to spell it as Bossk, like that lizard bounty hunter from Empire Strikes Back. And if Psychonauts was massively popular, I don't think I could be as much of an elitist about having played it. That wouldn't be good.

Angggrrrrrrrrry? Is someone angrrrrrrrrry?

Well, I fixed your name! Good thing that I know how to use the edit button!

Woooh. 1E5 copies. thats like, only E1 less then it should have been...

(Sorry, been taking physics -- I realize that wasn't funny at all, I just wanted to up the nerdage)

Anyway, yeah. Should have sold a million.

And to OP, not everyone shares your opinions, stop being so narrow-minded.

Everyone minus Bosch can still be considered everyone if we're not being too technical. ;)

I'm guessing this was directed towards me for making the other Pnauts thread then? Popular is a subjective term. What may seem popular to one person may not to the other. I never meant to say that Pnauts wasn't liked by people. I know many true gamers would say of course they've heard of it and love it. But a huge majority of other people would have no idea what it is.

You have to admit it won't be nearly as recognized as a Halo gamer or Mario game. But then again not many games are not that big with people. In fact very few are that recognizeable. I was posing the question as if Psychonauts was that well known.

I was more wondering what people thought about other people's opinions affecting their own. And the sort of group mentality thing that can happen at times.

I forget the name of the magazine, but a while back a gaming mag listed the sales figures of under appreciated games, and Pnauts actually did quite well all things considered. More then most of the other games they talked about.

All in all, everyone here loves Psychoanuts and would love it if more people played it. We would also love to know what the heck DF is working on.