Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rai the Bropiphany

What would you do if YOU were a game developer?

What kind of games would you make? RPGs, shooters, platformers, etc? What system would you design for? What ideas for games have you already come up with? Talk about what you would like to do and make if you were a game developer here :P

- If I were a game developer in some company, I would start off, of course, by making my own original ideas. After that, if they sold well...I would try to find a way to make sequels of some of my favorite games that deserved them. I'd probably try to work with the companies (Minus Psychonauts, cuz of course only Double Fine can make a sequel to something that awesome) I have a bunch of cool ideas and stuff, but lets just get this thread started and I'll post 'em later.

Okay well here's one I never shared with you guys.

But basically you play Bruce Campbell, and he's just being himself, aging well and being the same awesome snark attack actor he's always been. WHEN DEMON'S POSSESS OUR CLOTHING! And since all the clothes are possessed, anyone wearing clothes becomes the unwilling puppet of the demon clothes! And so Bruce Campbell has to fight the demon clothes BUTT NAKED! It would be third-person action horror game in the vein of Dead Rising. And would most likely win Best Game Of All Time Ever!

I also have an idea for a game that changes to the music you listen too, it doesn't have a soundtrack itself but uses your music to create a rhythm based platformer that changes and adapts its settings, enemies and player character abilities based on a number of variables related to the music, such as tempo, genre, vocalists and even to specific well known songs. Example, Kung-fu Fighting would turn your character into Martial Arts master. I think it would do well on the iPhone, coupled with iTunes.

I'd just make a game I'D like to play and hope it sold well to the public. I'd want a good balance of story and gameplay, likable characters and ninjas/pirates.

Ninjas world is threatened by robots and he must turn to the pirates to save it. That'd be awesome.

Me and my friends had an idea we thought was awesome back in the 6th grade. I've been thinkin' about it since, and I have made the plot a bit less broken

Here it is in a nutshell:

Its basically an action adventure where you travel to like 13 completely different planets to save earth from an evil diety-like person (I'll call him "VOID" for now, because its the first name we came up with. We even went as far as to call the game "VOID") who appeared and warned Earth of an imminent disaster. He tells you that he will send you to 13 evil planets to retrieve sacred artifacts from each (which become your weapons), destroying them and their inhabitants to save Earth. Those would be the levels that take up almost all of the game (huge levels though) and you travel there with your two best friends who help you out. Once you have gathered each artifact, you return to Earth and give them to him. This is when he reveals the truth to you: VOID is a destroyer of worlds, and the planets you traveled to were really the only things keeping Earth protected. They were entire planets of innocent people that you destroyed. And It gets worse. VOID takes the artifacts and blows up Earth, your friends push you into the last portal just in time, which takes you to the last planet, the 14th one. You go through this last level in search of a way to go back to Earth, your guilt haunting you the entire way. Once you find an ancient ship or something to get back, the final boss battle against VOID takes place on the ruins of Earth. You battle on floating platforms of the crust barely held in by gravity, and you have only one weapon which you got from the last planet.

Yeah...That was it in a nutshell

I'd just make a game I'D like to play and hope it sold well to the public. I'd want a good balance of story and gameplay, likable characters and ninjas/pirates.

Ninjas world is threatened by robots and he must turn to the pirates to save it. That'd be awesome.

I thought of somethin like that :P

Picture a downloadable war game like Battlefield 1943, but with pirates and ninjas. You can unlock magic talismans/runes throughout the battles and release gods on eachother too.

I had an idea for a game where the main character is in training to... *drumroll* ...become a video game character.

Basically fourth wall breaks and lampshading everywhere. It'd be awesome.

And it'd be a platformer because those are the best.

RPGs and adventure games. Simple as that.

...maybe the occasional puzzle game...

I'm actually working on an RPG now. I'm thinking of getting my own website, as well. I can see it now...Spitblaze productions...

i used to work a little bit on making old fashioned point and click adventure games. i got half way through a game (which i felt was pretty good) and then school got in the way and such (started taking AP classes which require actual work). needles to say, i never finished it.

I'd create the ultimate god game (form my perspective anyway). It wouldn't be about customizing a species of cutesy little animals and guiding them along an evolutionary path. Screw that Spore crap. My game would put you in charge of a human culture, like civilization only you are god and they must obey your every whim. You can decide their customs and laws. Destroy the world for its sins. Lead your people in a holy war against another "false" god. Combining elements from Civilization, Populus, Sim City and Age of Empires to create an orgasm of PC gaming awesome!

OOOhhh.... reminds me of B&W (the first one mind you)...

Otherwise, the only game that might be awesome, until we see the next DFAG, is........

Red Dead Redemption or look for it... http://kotaku.com/5454162/rockstars-la-noire-gets-long+awaited-reveal-next-month !!!

Ps....

Sorry for what might look as apparent spamming, but besides DF, which other company can you

think off, who's got the balls to make what they wanna make?!... Soooo freaking cooolllll.....

Ohh, Bookdust?! your sisters gonna be mine!!!

I would just try to work with musicians as much as possible. Off the top of my head, I would love to create a retro-futuristic world with a soundtrack composed by Ralf HΓΌtter and work closely with him by trying to design a world that could fit his music and vice versa. I would probably try to base video games more around artistic design than anything else, because that sort of thing appeals to me. That's one reason why I love Grim Fandango so much, especially in terms of the world design. I love a lot of the artistic influence Tim Schafer's employed in particular from Sasha Nein's Bauhaus-based mind to the Bosch-esque landscapes of BrΓΌtal Legend. The artists who worked on Grim Fandango and at Double Fine have done an inspiring job at bringing such beautiful and surreal worlds to life.

Katez I love and adore you, that's genius! I would play the hell out of that game. Also just to offer a counter to your brother's thoughts, I'd prefer it as a real-time RPG. Also, I think the save the princess thing is a bit played out, maybe make the royal a Prince for once, have a girl save him. That's just me though, love the idea.

hee! I'm glad you like it!

...the thing about the princess, though, is I love her design so much I don't think I could possibly give it up just to avoid a cliche that, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily need to be avoided. :3

...the thing about the princess, though, is I love her design so much I don't think I could possibly give it up just to avoid a cliche that, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily need to be avoided. :3

That's cool, just means it'll be fresher when I subvert the cliche.

Ohhhhh no he didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: ^ ...was that really necessary?

I think the reason why princesses being captured is so common in games is because it gives you a plot point and such, and it also gives the character a motivation: rescue the poor, helpless, charming love interest.

The reason it occurred to writers to have a princess be captured in the first place is probably something closer to the fact that it's actually not a bad strategy in real life.

Think about it; when you capture a royal family member or otherwise important figure, what you're really getting is power. Power over the kingdom/feifdom/whatever.

It's not a great idea to have captured the king (or, in his absence, the queen) and keep him under no conditions to negotiate for his release, because it's possible that nobody else has the power to give you whatever it is you want. People are also likely to react a lot more... strongly (as in, kick your ass into next wednesday) if you've captured the king or queen.

Then there's the matter of the kidnapping itself. It makes more sense to go for someone who you'll still be likely to get what you want in ransom for (someone in the royal family) yet who's going to be less well-guarded (the kids.)

Also, if you choose someone you won't be able to overpower easily, it's just going to make the kidnapping that much more difficult. If you capture someone petite, who hasn't had any martial arts lessons, you can likely get away without either you or her being harmed.

And then of course, if you really want, you can marry her...

...in the case of my story, though, the princess isn't being used as a bargaining chip, nor is she a prospective bride for some dude; she's being held because she was a curiosity, not because she was the princess.

Ohhhhh no he didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a little honesty between two creative visionaries. I lean toward strong female roles. I already have a subversion of the old Knight/Princess cliche in a story I'm working on.

sooo, just like the storyline in Fable 2, ohh whait?! There wasn't a storyline... Flesh it out Katez, this is tooo Zelda etc. ( All boring mediavalverse games)

I'm sorry I wanted to get the main characters, gameplay, setting and basic concepts out of the way before filling in the tiniest details of the plot.

EDIT: ^ ...was that really necessary?

I think the reason why princesses being captured is so common in games is because it gives you a plot point and such, and it also gives the character a motivation: rescue the poor, helpless, charming love interest.

The reason it occurred to writers to have a princess be captured in the first place is probably something closer to the fact that it's actually not a bad strategy in real life.

Think about it; when you capture a royal family member or otherwise important figure, what you're really getting is power. Power over the kingdom/feifdom/whatever.

It's not a great idea to have captured the king (or, in his absence, the queen) and keep him under no conditions to negotiate for his release, because it's possible that nobody else has the power to give you whatever it is you want. People are also likely to react a lot more... strongly (as in, kick your ass into next wednesday) if you've captured the king or queen.

Then there's the matter of the kidnapping itself. It makes more sense to go for someone who you'll still be likely to get what you want in ransom for (someone in the royal family) yet who's going to be less well-guarded (the kids.)

Also, if you choose someone you won't be able to overpower easily, it's just going to make the kidnapping that much more difficult. If you capture someone petite, who hasn't had any martial arts lessons, you can likely get away without either you or her being harmed.

And then of course, if you really want, you can marry her...

...in the case of my story, though, the princess isn't being used as a bargaining chip, nor is she a prospective bride for some dude; she's being held because she was a curiosity, not because she was the princess.

Quoting because APPARENTLY NOBODY NOTICED THIS :x

I read all of it the first time actually. I neither agree nor disagree with your thinking, I have my own ideas on why the damsel in distress is such a popular story element, but your ideas are also good. I think you make a good case for why you're doing things the way you are.

Sorry Katez, didn't mean it like that.... But the - Where, when and what does the story revolve around ? (For me at least) is a pretty important segment of the pre-developement process.

In order for us, as consumers, to gain a perspective of the game concept and therefore gain an interest in the product, we need to aleast have abit of originality.

If you don't stress-test it with the - done that' n 'tried that formula - you'll probably just end up with another idea (great in concept, but either unoriginal or ekstremely deja-vu) that doesn't live

up to it's fullest potential!

.... But come on, you're clever than that! For me it just sounds alot alike a cross between Zelda: Twillight P. & Okami....

But I'm not dissing you (or however you spell it in English) , I love creativity, but I know you can do soo much better!!!

...It's actually highly influenced by both those games (in terms of setting/theme), but really, the basic concept and characters are completely different.

Sign in to follow this