Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rai the Bropiphany

What would you do if YOU were a game developer?

Your game kind of sounds like Zelda meets Diablo Rai. I kind of like it.

Any criticism/questions/suggestions?

Also, me and my friend were laughing at all the cliches in the gaming world, so we decided decided to design a game where you play as a tree. Yes, you play as a fucking tree.

Basically, you start the game as a nice and peaceful tree. You can see the wind rustle through your leaves, and you can sway your branches and let the nice happy animals climb on you. Then, a bunch of jackasses come into your forest with a bunch of chainsaws and start commiting genocide on all your friends and family. Then you get pissed. As soon as one of them comes close to you, you RIP HIS HEAD OFF WITH YOUR BRANCHES AND TAKE HIS CHAINSAW. You rip your roots out of the ground and start killing everyone you see, especially lumberjacks. Basically the entire game is you cutting everyone's heads off with a chainsaw. I'm planning on going to a tech-center for a few of my electives next school year, so I might be able to make this a flash game on like newgrounds or something. Also, I'm not a treehugger or anything, my friend and I just thought this idea was really funny %-P

All I know is that I'd want to do a comedy game. Or maybe take an idea of Brutal Legend's stage battle and try to apply it in another setting. I had this idea about a cyborg Rudolph leading a rebellion against Santa Claus. Rupdolph would team up with a Ice Wizard with a German accent and recruit the most dangerous and oppressed creatures of the winter wonderland to fight Santa. I'd like to release as a downloadable game on Steam and XBLA, maybe PSN if the development for porting wouldn't be too difficult and costly.

So I'm late to the party, and while it's probably unwise to even stoke the embers from earlier, I think I will. Huzzah!

Scarecrow, I don't think it's any less cliché to simply reverse the roles and have a princess/[strong female role] rescue a prince/[vulnerable male role]. It's just a pro-feminist veneer over the same worn cliché. And I agree with Katez, just because it's played doesn't mean it needs to be avoided at all costs. Familiarity can be of great use, especially if other aspects of a story are new and unfamiliar. Just because something is traditional or familiar doesn't mean it's bad. Just pick and choose which to avoid, and which to run with.

So I'm late to the party, and while it's probably unwise to even stoke the embers from earlier, I think I will. Huzzah!

Scarecrow, I don't think it's any less cliché to simply reverse the roles and have a princess/[strong female role] rescue a prince/[vulnerable male role]. It's just a pro-feminist veneer over the same worn cliché. And I agree with Katez, just because it's played doesn't mean it needs to be avoided at all costs. Familiarity can be of great use, especially if other aspects of a story are new and unfamiliar. Just because something is traditional or familiar doesn't mean it's bad. Just pick and choose which to avoid, and which to run with.

I think you took my perspective as overly negative, I agree with you completely. Nothing wrong with using a cliché if the story justifies it. I was just throwing it out there that a role reversal might make it seem a little fresher, not my place though. Pro-feminist veneer? Ouch, you have a sharp vocabulary. Seems a tad colored by male hero bias.

Acually i do all game types in one game! Action RTS included.

In the future if i become a animator and my made-up show becomes really popular i want to get with double-fine and ea to make the game! It will include all the game types in sertain levels, it has not been done before so it something i really wanna try.

I think you took my perspective as overly negative, I agree with you completely. Nothing wrong with using a cliché if the story justifies it. I was just throwing it out there that a role reversal might make it seem a little fresher, not my place though. Pro-feminist veneer? Ouch, you have a sharp vocabulary. Seems a tad colored by male hero bias.

Eh, call me traditional; call me what you want. Yeah, I do appreciate the old school male hero role, but that's not the issue here. I'm not against female protagonists, I just don't think a simple role swap makes it any fresher. Look at Metroid -- Samus Aran is legitimately badass. Take Beyond Good & Evil, where you actually DO have a strong female lead saving a male character. These are great characters, in great games. The difference is, it's not just a gender reversal exploiting what are otherwise the same cliché characters.

Eh, call me traditional; call me what you want. Yeah, I do appreciate the old school male hero role, but that's not the issue here. I'm not against female protagonists, I just don't think a simple role swap makes it any fresher. Look at Metroid -- Samus Aran is legitimately badass. Take Beyond Good & Evil, where you actually DO have a strong female lead saving a male character. These are great characters, in great games. The difference is, it's not just a gender reversal exploiting what are otherwise the same cliché characters.

Okay how about a princess saving a knight? Since its a true role reversal of character archetypes that would count as a legitimate subversion of the cliché. Yes/No?

Okay how about a princess saving a knight? Since its a true role reversal of character archetypes that would count as a legitimate subversion of the cliché. Yes/No?

It depends on the delivery. If the game was intended to be taken at all seriously, the situation is extremely unlikely. :P If it were intended as a comedy (essentially recognizing and poking fun at the stereotype), however, it could work. I'm still not sure if it would really subvert the cliché though -- just have some fun with it.

It depends on the delivery. If the game was intended to be taken at all seriously, the situation is extremely unlikely. :P If it were intended as a comedy (essentially recognizing and poking fun at the stereotype), however, it could work. I'm still not sure if it would really subvert the cliché though -- just have some fun with it.

Oh ye of little imagination.

oh ya, i also have this idea of a game thats a musical. think of it like a disney film how there are song but not like all the time. thats what its like, like some of the cut scenes are big music numbers. idk i thought that would be sweet

a good MMO with good city building.
So Star Wars Galaxy pre-NGE?

Also, if I were a game developer, I'd make a sandbox game based on exploration of a beautiful, original world as opposed to hiring and then killing prostitutes. I would try to focus on the things that made Avatar one of the best experiences I've had in a movie theater (realism of the enviroment, great art direction, variety of colors etc.). After this I'd throw in some classic Lucasarts charm :).

Sign in to follow this