Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Insomnia

Favorite Book of the Decade

I know it's really late for this, but no one else made this thread and it's still January. Anyway, I'd assume that people who like Double Fine would like to read, so here's a thread to discuss your favorite books of the decade.

My favorite book was John Dies at the End by David Wong. It was a clever blend of humor and horror that I feel was really under-appreciated. I really enjoyed a lot of parts particularly parts featuring John, the main character Dave's best friend (in one chapter he argues that Elton John is a band xD). It suffered from some of its crude humor (there are a few fart jokes and the like), but such jokes could easily be skipped. Anyway, I think most young males who aren't offended by crude humor would enjoy the book.

What book is your favorite from the decade?

I don't remember what books technically came out this decade, the only thing I can remember is the Harry Potter saga, and the Mass Effect novels. I don't remember what years my other books are from. I don't categorize my books by year or decade, besides most of the books I read are pretty old anyway.

hmm...i stopped reading a while ago...but the last book that really caught my attention was "Everything Bad is Good for You" by Stephen Johnson

My favorite short stories that I've read in the past decade are probably 'The End of Something' and 'The Three Day Blow' by Ernest Hemingway (the two stories go together) and 'I have no mouth and I must scream' by Harlan Ellison. The Hemingway stories have some great quotes in them, particularly one involving the subjects of drinking and swimming. The Ellison story you'll never forget.

Like senior said, I have a hard time remembering what I read this decade. "The Road" was a great novel. I loved that in the most depressing way. That came out recently and was really good, "The Last Season" by Phil Jackson was a really interesting read too, as a basketball fan. Also "Growing Up Dead" was a memoir of a Deadhead, I enjoyed it because it was very humerous, well written and entertaining with all kinds of tidbits about The Dead in it. Lastly but not least the Inheritance Saga: Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr (I think that was the name of the last one) were all quite enjoyable, even though I should be a little old for them.

That's a tough one for me. I have to go with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows though.

Yeah that's what I would have said too, but I forgot. Personally I'm saddened that they are trying to turn the first half into its own movie, unless they include the Tom Riddle scenes they should have put in the last movie.

Didn't read any books published in the 00's, but the greatest books I read during the aforementioned decade were Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

Didn't read any books published in the 00's, but the greatest books I read during the aforementioned decade were Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was a good read, but I preferred A Brave New World - Aldous Huxely. You should check it out if you haven't already, it's pretty much a utopia that's exactly the opposite the one established by Big Brother.

Ah...I'd have to go with Endymion Spring. It's a book about a book. It's awesome.

Damn, there's no underline tool...

The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Mind you, I'm still reading the damn thing...

I've heard good things about that book. Good, good things. Is it as good as they say it is?

Sign in to follow this