Sign in to follow this  
theubersmurf

Horrible framerate drops in Psychonauts

I owned a store bought copy of this game a while ago, though it was lost in a move. Yesterday, Steam put it on sale for a puny $2 USD. And I bought it, I've been playing it, but I'm having sudden and dramatic framerate drops. My framerates drop down to a frame every say...10 seconds? something like that, making the game unplayable. My system is modern, 17 920, MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard, Radeon 5850, Xonar DX audio card 3x2 gigs ddr3 1333 (Corsair XMS3), WD Caviar Black 500Gb (system), Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 Gb (Storage), Vista x64, PC Power and cooling silencer 750...All the tedious little stuff about the comp. I tried running it in compatibility mode, but it doesn't seem to help...or let me rephrase that...it happens less frequently, but still too often to make the game playable. The drivers available that support my video card are only the two most recent (or 3 most recent?) iterations of the Catalyst software suite :P. So I can't go back that many generations of drivers...though I'm not sure this is the issue anyway.

I'm not actually sure it's a framerate issue at all honestly. The game seems unresponsive, and actions continue going, but at an incredibly slow pace. As if my CPU were suddenly occupied at 100% usage. Not sure if any other people have come here to discuss it, but if I get a solution, I'll communicate it to the Steam forums, where some similar issues seem to be had by other people.

Just FYI, this is the 4th thread created for tech support in two days. I'm becoming less and less inclined to help with these kind of threads when the posters can't even bother to take a cursory glance at the FIRST page to see if there's already a similar thread. If you're looking for tech help, at least look around a bit before starting a new topic.

That said: You said you're running 3x2 gigs DDR3 1333 RAM; I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You have 6 gigs of RAM total, correct? The system lock you're describing sounds like a memory issue, but you'd have to have something chewing up TONS of memory for it to affect your system if you're running 6 gigs. Either way, have you checked your process running in Task Manager to see how much memory you have free? Are there any programs running in the background, e.g. virus scanners, etc., which could be using enough resources to affect your system? And speaking of virus scanners, are you sure your system is clean and free of viruses? And of course, if you've checked everything else, have you tried deleting the local content in Steam and reinstalling the game yet?

Also, Steam itself has issues if you try to run it compatibility mode. If you're talking about the actual game executable, I don't think it should be a problem, though I'm not 100% sure.

I have looked at memory and CPU usage while the game is running. It's all running on one core, unsurprisingly, and using up close to 100% of the resources on that core. my AV gets disabled when I game, and there aren't any other significant background applications running. The memory use is minimal, topping out at about 30-35%. I actually found the thread you mention not long after I made this post (again, unsurprisingly) and have largely dealt with the issues via some of the advice in that thread. If I run it in a 4:3 aspect ratio, in a window, with all of the graphical amenities turned off, it runs (largely) well. But it still crashed on me with those settings in place. It produced a dump file which I'm tempted to attach, but somehow I doubt it would get looked at, the game is older, and probably gets only the support that can be managed on a forum (I suspect). But anyway, don't worry about it, the graphical changes seem to be largely sufficient to play the game. There are still problems and crashes, but they are rarefied, so I wouldn't worry about it. But thank you for your reply. Sorry about the redundant thread.

“Not bad. Seems you figured out the instructions okay. You got some demon flesh on your bumper.”

But really, they are very cool. More little comics would be cool