Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ausgeschnitzel UHF

The Connection Between Tony Danza, Tony Plana, Manny Calavera and Alf

Hi! This is my first Post on this forum. I'm from Austria, like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hitler. I guess I should rather mention people like Mozart or Billy Wilder, but the other two came to my mind first. What can I say, I'm broken in the head! On this note please forgive my orthographic and grammatical frailties.

I'm almost 25 years old now and hardly play video games anymore. But I played them a lot as a kid and a teenager. Tim Schafer was involved in many of my favourite games. I still play these every now and then because I enjoy the storytelling and the characters and the music, artwork, etc so much. That's why I'm here.

But enough about me!

Yesterday I browsed through Tim Schafer's blog entries and when I arrived at the post about Tony Plana being the voice talent for Manny Calavera my neurons started to have a little fiesta inside my broken head. At first I didn't know for what reason I felt this tingling sensation in the back of my cranium. There where synapses built right there. I could feel it. You know the feeling when seemingly unrelated things get associated, right? It's great! So I leaned back and observed with joy and anticipation.

Suddenly the image of Tony Danza popped up in my mind. Now Tony Plana and Tony Danza are names that sound pretty similar. Up to this point that was all there was to it. This (for me) spooky similarity was merely the trigger for a thought I haven't been thinking for years. It will bore most of you, but I was amused:

When I first played Grim Fandango (German version) as a teen I found that Manny Calavera's voice sounded pretty much like Alf's (dubbed in German) with a Spanish accent. This again reminded me of the first time I had seen Who's the Boss? with Tony Danza as a kid, when I recognized quickly that he was dubbed by the same actor as Alf. This had borne great fascination on me back then by the way.

So when I read that an actor called Tony Plana had voiced Manny Calavera I pondered about the coincidence of two seemingly unrelated American actors with such similar names tied together on the basis of a video game character.

So, I don't know. This is probably a lame story but I haven't been out of house the whole week. It's the most exciting thing that happened to me in the past few days. And I thought it might be some nice trivia for fans of Grim Fandango.

By the way, I looked up Tony Danza at Wikipedia before I wrote this and learned that the German voice talent's name is Thomas Piper. He has his own Wikipedia entry in which not only Alf, Tony Danza, Michael Landon and Nick Nolte but also Manny Calavera are mentioned. Funny!

Have a nice day!

Michael

I'm from Austria, like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hitler.

Oh dear!!

Also, is the UHF in your name like the Weird Al movie? Because Weird Al rocks and should live forever!

I'm from Austria, like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hitler.

Oh dear!!

Also, is the UHF in your name like the Weird Al movie? Because Weird Al rocks and should live forever!

Actually it's been part of a captcha when I registered for another forum a couple of days ago. But it pleasantly reminded me of an obscure time in my early childhood, when I experienced the Weird Al movie for the first and last time in my life. Very obscure. So I decided to make it part of my next forum user name. Oh my, how time passes, and you were right!

nope, it's what happens if you continuiously show the button to Elka in Psychonauts.

UHF is a great movie. I loved the wheel of fish.

By the way, your signature isn't a reference to Platinum Grit, is it?

Neat! A comics that takes advantage of the unique powers the internet provides to give it unique pace and interactivity rather than just making it annoying.

Ooooh yeah, I'm a Scott McCloud disciple.

Scott McCloud is a frikken genius. But its astonishing how many "comics professionals" dont agree with him. which is probably why the traditional meduim of comics is dying.

Scott McCloud is a frikken genius. But its astonishing how many "comics professionals" dont agree with him. which is probably why the traditional meduim of comics is dying.

Yeah, I remember him and Penny Arcade had a big falling out. They even made a comic to make fun of him. But they must be on better terms, since PA is used as a good example a few times in the new book, Making Comics.

I'm still LookingForGroup for a 24 hour comic book day.

By the way (back on track?), did anyone else other than me ever watch Alf's Talk Show while it was on the air? Gooood times.

alf.......had a talk show?

Would I lie to you Cinsev?

Cool kids called it:

Alf's Hit Talk Show!

And the internets

ah fear not madame, i meant no besmirtching of your veracity.

it just seemed to me to be a show that would be lacking in quality. My incredulity over came my ability to express my thoughts properly.

No, Michael, your story is not lame, but it is a red herring. There is a very strong connection between Tony Plana and Tony Danza, and it is stronger, even, than ALF. But I'm sure you know this already and are just trying to give someone else here an opportunity to appear smart or cool. Very generous of you. So I won't spoil your game by naming the connection here.

But I wonder why no one has figured it out yet. Let me give you a hint: The bond between Tony Plana and Tony Danza... is a woman.

A human woman.

You have 24 hours to identify her.

could it be judith light!? the woman who has acted in both shows that both actors are in?

surely it cant be so easily discovered. this must be a clue that leads to a further clue, not unlike one of those crazy myst-like logic puzzles!!

No, but that is in fact a valid connection between those humans. And a woman, no less.

The connection of which I speak is a different woman, who is herself connected with a game of yore.

then ive got nothing. just like myst i knew the answer wasnt going to be so obviously esay :D

The connection of which I speak is a different woman, who is herself connected with a game of yore.

Silly cow. What woman would be connected to a game? I sense not the failure of reality, and therefore am inclined to scribe a widely recognized universal law. Much like the strength of Chuck Norris' round house kick being incalculatable even by quantem standards, such is also the fate of the female gamer population; however where as the former statement is positive in nature, the latter is - most unfortunately - negative.

To summarize: The female gaming population is inversely proportional to the strength of Chuck Norris' round house kick.

In summary: You speak universal blasphemy, dear cow, and I am led to wonder whether or not your stomach(s) has(ve) grown sour.

Addendum: Any female claiming to be a gamer is obviously from a mirror-shadow-evil-goatee universe. (see: Star Trek: The Original Series episode 33; "Mirror, Mirror" for more information).

Steven Seagal has feminie qualitites, such as beauty and a wonderful singing voice. So he/she is my vote.

I actually am interested as to who the connection could be.

I had no time to investigate! I just read this!!

Because I thought nobody would care for what I have to say, like every time before in my life, so I didn't bother to check this thread for replies earlier.

I am crying tears of warm joy and therefore dehydrating as a result of your hospitality.

This Steven Seagal, I think I will have to go granular on him.

24 Hours, eh? Could it be that Tony Plana was in 24 which Tony Danza is a huge fan of? No wait needs a woman... Could it be that they both use the same make-up woman, Tracey L. Miller-Smith?

Is this mistery ever going to be revealed, oh mighty info cow?

Will you release us from the bonds of slavery, and throw us into the light? Oh info cow, the sacred cow of the virtual egypt, speak to us! Tell us the truth, so we may fly!!

Plus Nocte, what are you blabbering about? Women are on the rise in gaming, as they should be, were not in the dark ages anymore! Plus, could be a wife of someone from a game of yore, or some other connection which does not necessarily put that woman in the working-in-gaming-industry-matrix. Could be a famous amazon which did the motion capture for the two games, who knows!

Oh, sorry. All the other cows started walking away for some reason, and I couldn't help but follow. I'm not sure why we do that. Anyway, the human woman of which I speak is none other than Maria Canals!

10m.jpgfandang2.jpg

Maria was on the Tony Danza show, and guess who else was on that show? Tony Danza!

But she also played the part of Mercedes Colomar in Grim Fandango.

So there you have it. Tony Danza and Tony Plana are practically brothers. But instead of sharing parents, they share Maria Canals.

Unfortunately, you did not solve this riddle in 24 hours, and therefore I ate the prize.

But you have been given the greatest prize of all, which is yours to cherish forever: INFORMATION.

Excellente!! Feast upon the excrement of info Cow, for although it may sometimes (well, ok, always) be bad, it be truth!! Ta!

Plus lol Poopdojr, finally realised were your avatar is from! Go Wario!!

Great I have stored that fact forever. I just hope it didn't push out something I needed to know. :S

Info Cow, I salute you!

Sign in to follow this