Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pashapup

Ideas for Psychic Powers

Disclaimer: This is not a "LETS SCREAM R LUNGS OUT 4 A PSICHONAUT SEQUIL NUMBER 2!!!111ONE". Nor does this thread have bacon. It's just an idea thread, for the fun of it.

Alright, now that that's out of the way... ideas? I've heard hydrokinesis and cyrokinesis and mind control. I think a power where you could bend/crush/implode things would be awesome too.

Cryokinesis (ice),

Electrokinesis (electricity [duh]),

Lumikinesis (light),

Umbrakinesis (shadows),

Florakinesis (plants-kinda like the stuff Lili does),

Ferrumkinesis (metal),

And that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Clonokinesis - create multiple instances or images, a dozen Razputins attacking at once. This could actually be an offshoot of chronokinesis and teleportation, where the caster could jump to several different spots a fraction of a second apart, creating the illusion of many casters attacking at once, and all but one being a mere afterimage. Superman once used this technique to make it appear he was conversing face to face with Clark Kent. Of course, it requires thinking at the speed of a supercomputer, so may not be practical for mere mortals. Also excessive use of chronokinesis may promote premature aging relative to the rest of the world.

(Inspired by Naruto's Bunshin no Jutsu. Could be combined with shape changing a la Sexy no Jutsu to evoke true Harem no Jutsu, but that wouldn't be proper for an E rated game, and I don't think DF would sell an M version of Psychonauts.)

ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR

Cryokinesis (ice),

Electrokinesis (electricity [duh]),

Lumikinesis (light),

Umbrakinesis (shadows),

Florakinesis (plants-kinda like the stuff Lili does),

Ferrumkinesis (metal),

And that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Gridsleep brought up some time ago that simply adding "kinesis" to something doesn't magically make it a psychic power. While I think this works for some things (hydrokinesis, electrokinesis, etc.), I think the line's gotta be drawn somewhere. "Ferrumkinesis" is simply telekinesis applied to metal, and if you're going to use that word, it would apply only to ferrous (iron) metals. You could technically do the same thing with magnets, making this power kinda bland. Florakinesis falls into the same category. It should also be noted that while Lili seems to have an affinity for plants, she's never shown actually applying any kind of plant-related power (excepting one reference to "herbaphony" outside the game, implying she has or is at least interested in the ability to hear/read plants, similar to the way Elton can hear fish).

Regarding lumikinesis, I'm not so sure. I'd say yes for the same reason I'd say yes to electrokinesis (my theory being that both would be telekinesis on an atomic/subatomic level), but I'm not buying "umbrakinesis." First, manipulation of shadows would in actuality be manipulation of light. Second, I think we're talking manipulation of shadows in the Naruto sense, where shadows themselves actually have the power to seize/manipulate objects or persons. Psychic powers are not simply magic, and shadows simply don't work that way. Manipulation of light to blind an enemy or defeat a light-based alarm/security system would be feasible, or at the most elegant end of the spectrum, the ability to actually create a holographic image of yourself as a distraction, but that's about where it would end.

In the *kinesis category though, I like:

- Electrokinesis

- Hydrokinesis (could work into a fun mission where Raz has to conquer his fear of water -- think ENORMOUS water monster, a la the Mega Censor)

- Cryokinesis... maybe.

Double post, huzzah! :D

Mind Control - take over the body of another and use it like a puppet.

Agreed. I've thought this myself, and wholeheartedly endorse this idea. The way Mini Ninjas implemented it would carry over perfectly. Astral projection a la Prey would be very handy here, where enemies seem to have a vague sense of your presence, but don't actually attack until you bump into them or attack first.

I think the power of suggestion would also be cool, as an alternative. Sort of like confusion, where you could make enemies attack each other, but be able to have them do other things as well, like check inside a locked room (allowing you access), or simply leave their post on a stealth mission or something. Could turn this into something of a minigame, where you hide around a corner, focus on a target, and have multiple choices to select at key times; almost a combination of Eddie's guitar solos in BL and Manny's dialogue selections in Grim Fandango (though probably with an increasingly short time limit, rather than a rhythm game). A successful suggestion would result in a desired enemy action, whereas a fail would either tip them off that someone is trying to manipulate them or simply agitate them and heighten their alertness.

ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR

Did you divide by zero?

Clonokinesis - create multiple instances or images, a dozen Razputins attacking at once.

I believe the scientific term is Bilocation, or Multilocation, depending on how many razputins.

Did you divide by zero?

No, I accidentally hit Quote instead of Edit and that looked stupid so I panicked.

I still prefer Harem no Jutsu. Raz could become a dozen Milla Vodellos attacking in string bikinis Rio style.

I still prefer Harem no Jutsu. Raz could become a dozen Milla Vodellos attacking in string bikinis Rio style.

O_o

Let's keep the fantasies to your slashfics, eh grid?

Hmm...

I think there should be a power that can make Raz grow or shrink in size.

Or, you know, something like that.

Or a clone. Except you only kind of control it. It goes the opposite direction as you do. You could use it for stuff like puzzles (LoZ type) and as a distraction in boss battles or something.

Also, teleportation.

Something like PK Starstorm would be cool, too.

Just sayin'.

I just don't want to turn Psychonauts into x-men or something. Like I said, psychic powers aren't magic, and I think they should be kept somewhat feasible, in the "psychic" category. Otherwise, they're just run of the mill superheroes, and frankly, that's boring.

I support teleportation.

I just don't want to turn Psychonauts into x-men or something. Like I said, psychic powers aren't magic, and I think they should be kept somewhat feasible, in the "psychic" category. Otherwise, they're just run of the mill superheroes, and frankly, that's boring.

I support teleportation.

Good point.

Teleportation stays, though.

What about headbursting? Scanners had that, and pyrokinesis.

O_o

Let's keep the fantasies to your slashfics, eh grid?

But it would work so well against Dr. Lobato. "Say, take a look at the bicuspids on that one." >KLONK<

Ah, here's another one: Hamsterballistics. Raz teleports his opponent's brain into his levitation ball, and then rolls around on top of it until the brain begs for mercy. Or upchucks spinal fluid. Whichever comes first.

Here's a good idea, I would like to see Raz possess enemies. For example, if you are surrounded by those creepy censors, Raz would go into a censor body and use it to attack the other enemies. When Raz is done, the enemy that was possessed will die.

Hmmm...sounds familiar...

I say teleportation should be like the 'tactical insertion' in MW2, as in you can plant something in a specific location. When your in trouble you can teleport back to that location. It would make teleporting balanced, as it would take a few seconds to plant it. It would be useful in boss battles and such.

Maybe. I was thinking more like Twilight Princess-style teleportation. You can teleport yourself/items at certain points, and before you can, you have to fight for the right to use the teleport point.

They should have a mind reading power that you can use on people to can random humorous thoughts, I picture it as being similair to clairvoyance, in that its neccasary for a few puzzles in one mission and then doesnt really have a use apart from being damn funny

I think there should be a power that can freeze time. When time is frozen, the screen will be white and blue, and Raz will be the only person able to move. Also, there should be rapeokinesis, something I've just made up, in which you rape enemies with your mind until they cry uncle.

So much for the T rating.

I wish that when Raz uses Confusion on the censors, every time they hit themselves and Raz is watching, he'd yell "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!" in a real insulting way. That would have been funny. The first time.

How about Skelletoflexium? The power to turn your enemy's skeleton to rubber for short periods. Censors would be flapping around on the floor like fish, like blobs. nyeah geah bleah is all they could say.

Doubt these are gonna be any good, but I'll give it a shot!

Hypnokinesis - Hypnotize someone into a psychic trance to trick enemies to prevent them from attacking you for a short period of time.

Animatokinesis - Bring small items to life and control them to do whatever; either to attack or solve puzzles.

Aerokinesis - Control wind and air; can be used to solve puzzles, blow small enemies away, and put out fires.

Geokinesis - Control stuff like rocks, dirt, and minerals; would be mostly used for battle.

Here's also something I made up that would be interesting, but I have no idea what it would be called, so for now I'm calling it 'Doppelganger'. How this ability works is it allows the psychic to transform into anyone they see or remember; for example, Raz would use his psi-energy to transform himself into a censor to pass through a horde of censors. Will also work on people in the real world. To not make this overly over-powered, I think that some enemies such as personal demons and nightmares can see through the disguise.

Hope most of these doesn't sound too super power-ish. I also really like your idea Dinner! It would have been nice to have that mind reading power in the game.

Hmm.. this Doppleganger thing sounds pretty cool. If I had that power in the game I would totally dopple myself into Milla and.. uhm nevermind.

What about a sort of mind radar/earthquake system? I shall explain in not-so-great detail. What would happen is that Raz would place his hands on the ground and channel a strong blast of psychic energy through them. The blast would flow out through the ground, picking up and highlighting hidden items buried in the ground and detecting things like metal and living creatures, such as worms, moles, or Sasha conducting experiments in his lab. It could also work as a good crowd control attack, knocking multiple attackers off their feet and stunning them for a good hit. Or you could just annoy Franke and Kitty by spamming earthquakes on them.

...and while I was thinking of that power, I thought of THIS.

If Raz could do this, at least two of my fangirl dreams would come true.

Oh, any number of things! The possibilities are literally endless here.

* I would personally love to see things like Therians or otherkin in a game like Psychonauts. While Raz might no be one, it could allow for an endless amount of powers that would be signature to other individuals depending on their otherkin nature. Maybe you could even track down spirits and convince them to borrow you some of their powers?

* Ghosts. Raz's dad doesn't count - there were never any god damned ghosts in Psychonauts. Considering that Raz is a psychic, he should be able to see them with a little bit of practice, right? I can see them being hidden characters that would offer hidden side challenges or clues... IF you could find them, that is. Hell, if the sequel takes place in the future, it'd be hilarious if this allowed you to accidentally stumble upon Ford xD

* OBE's. Raz only ever got to leave his body when he ventured into other peoples minds, but in the 'real' world of psychics (or, well, in lack of better words..) that's not necessarily how it works. Raz wandering around undetected, and without a physical body, could be a great addition to puzzle solving.

* Tarot, runes, other types of divination and 'magicks'. <- That there = endless possibilities.

Sign in to follow this