Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarrietTubman

pc version

I don't think there's any plan for a PC version as of yet. Maybe one day, but to be honest, only a few people ever really ask for a PC version when it comes to this game. There's not enough reward to have to put in work for a PC port. Maybe their next game?

^ why's that?
It's a game that was designed with consoles in mind from the start. They would have to change most of the mechanics to make it work for the people who don't have a gamepad. I don't even have a small idea about how the game could work on mouse and keyboard in it's present state.

Well it would be an unplayable mess, so most likely never.

Ignorant. BL's multiplayer is derived from a PC game called Sacrifice. You can say the multiplayer is basically Sacrifice-On-A-Console.

Don't believe me?

Ignorant. BL's multiplayer is derived from a PC game called Sacrifice. You can say the multiplayer is basically Sacrifice-On-A-Console.

Don't believe me?

It's all about control scheme.

Don't believe me?

I've never played Sacrifice, but everytime people made the comparisons it seemed to me like it was the same idea built from ground up for different platforms. They look like they play similarly, but in a completely different way. I think it would be like a Valve game on consoles, sure it's possible, but it ends up feeling sloppy and incomplete. Even if the FPS genre has succeeded on consoles. I've never played the game though, so maybe my comparison is off.

Don't believe me?

I've never played Sacrifice, but everytime people made the comparisons it seemed to me like it was the same idea built from ground up for different platforms. They look like they play similarly, but in a completely different way. I think it would be like a Valve game on consoles, sure it's possible, but it ends up feeling sloppy and incomplete. Even if the FPS genre has succeeded on consoles. I've never played the game though, so maybe my comparison is off.

I have the Orange Box on my 360, and it's the only version of the game that I played. Works fine for me.

Let's face it - There are hundreds of controllers available that are identical to the relevant console ones. It would play the same.

However, if Double Fine and EA don't think that it would be a lucrative venture, it would be dumb to attempt it.

Let's face it - There are hundreds of controllers available that are identical to the relevant console ones. It would play the same.

This. There's really no reason for it to not be on PC. It makes me really sad to see DF making games that snub PC gamers, even if it's not their decision. It just feels wrong.

However, if Double Fine and EA don't think that it would be a lucrative venture, it would be dumb to attempt it.

You would play it, but I'd say that a typical PC gamer, when faced with a game where you order dudes around, will demand a good mouse/keyboard interface. I would. I wouldn't mind switching betwen mouse/keyboard and gamepad as the need arises, though.

The game is never coming to PC. Schafer designed the game exclusively for consoles. Plus, the controls would be very crappy using a keyboard.

What is it that makes it so hard for console gamers to wrap their heads around the fact that there are console style controllers for PC? Microsoft makes an XBOX 360 CONTROLLER specifically aimed at PC gamers. Seriously, why is this such a hard concept?

Also:

hopefully never.

This! Also, probably never.

Why do console fanboys have to be dicks about it?

First off, here's something PC fanboys have difficulty wrapping their heads around, not eveybody owns a controller for their computer! This means developers need to make a game with controls that are easy to use with mouse and keyboard, even if you have an Xbox controller. If a game doesn't work on mouse and keyboard people will complain that the game is unplayable.

I've played plenty of games (also released on console) with no controller, where the controls are just fine. WASD for movement, mouse for camera, three mouse buttons for primary functions, ctrl/shift/space for movement modifiers, etc. Keyboard controls are not difficult. They're not ideal for all games, but it certainly won't break the game in most cases. If you can play an FPS (albeit crappily) on a console, you can play a action platformer on PC. Anybody here ever heard of a game called Psychonauts?

I was saying specifically that I don't think Brütal Legend would work. Also nice try to attack my Double Fine cred. *points at join dates* I played Psychonauts in 2005 on the Xbox.

I was saying specifically that I don't think Brütal Legend would work. Also nice try to attack my Double Fine cred. *points at join dates* I played Psychonauts in 2005 on the Xbox.

He wasn't attacking your "double fine cred." He was pointing out that many people (including me) played Psychonauts for PC. With no controller.

EDIT: Oh, and I bought a PS3 just for this game.

(I did buy several others since then, but the point still stands.)

Oh, and I bought a PS3 just for this game.

I also bought a PS3 just for this game. Though at least in my case, it was mainly because I had gotten Brutal Legend first(for Christmas), THEN bought my PS3 a few weeks later, along with some other games I had wanted.

It's a game that was designed with consoles in mind from the start. They would have to change most of the mechanics to make it work for the people who don't have a gamepad. I don't even have a small idea about how the game could work on mouse and keyboard in it's present state.
i'm retarded and want you to explain exactly what you think would have to change and what makes this game so fundamentally incompatible with mouse/keyboard. use specific examples

This. I hear tons of generalities about how it wouldn't work, but no specific examples. What, exactly, is so drastically different that it would have to be changed?

Also:

He wasn't attacking your "double fine cred." He was pointing out that many people (including me) played Psychonauts for PC. With no controller.

This, exactly. Thanks, Turtle.

EDIT: Oh, and I bought a PS3 just for this game.

I find it hard to detect tone on the internet when I'm awake at 2:00, this leads to me coming to ridiculous conclusions.

At 2:00 a.m. I'm just getting home from work.

I prefer the subtleties of the controller. On a keyboard, you press the up arrow and you go forward, one speed, or stop. Run, or stop. Run, or stop. With the controller, with a little tickle of my thumb, Raz can run, walk, tiptoe, a million different speeds. I can spin the camera around clockwise while Raz walks counterclockwise. I can change direction mid-jump without even thinking about it. Keyboard works better for some people. For me, the Rumblepad is part of my anatomy. I wouldn't give it up any more than I'd give up my fingers or legs.

Actually, I totally agree, gridsleep. For this kinda game, the controller does work better (and I recommend it for anyone I get to buy Psychonauts on PC). If there were no difference between a keyboard/mouse and a controller, I wouldn't actually own a controller, lol. I'm just saying that I don't think it would break the game. Like Turtle said, lots of people have played (and loved) it without ever plugging in a gamepad.

I can understand the opinion, that a PC game must be playable with mouse and keyboard, without anything thats annoying you. As I am now a happy owner of a gamepad, I just like to have a port, that I can enjoy with my gamepad. A console is no option (no TV, no interesting games - except of this one)...

wasd to move

E to activate/double team

1-10 gutiar powers

left click to melee

hold right click to lock on

mid mouse button scroll to change targets

mid mouse button(click in) produces the Light

holding it allows it to be placed by moving the mouse

Z,X,C are generic commands(attack, follow, and stay in repective order) V commands ppl to go to the light

B gives special orders

Q dodges

hold Shift for sprint

press T for solos(toggle)

i just fixed the issue

wasd to move

E to activate/double team

1-10 gutiar powers

left click to melee

hold right click to lock on

mid mouse button scroll to change targets

mid mouse button(click in) produces the Light

holding it allows it to be placed by moving the mouse

Z,X,C are generic commands(attack, follow, and stay in repective order) V commands ppl to go to the light

B gives special orders

Q dodges

hold Shift for sprint

press T for solos(toggle)

i just fixed the issue

A keyboard/mouse control scheme for any action games are unplayable messes anyway. Your control scheme may work, but I would not want to be the one that plays it ever.

if it works than how is a mess?

it would be on the contrary

the avatar combat mess?

hardly

infinte is a combination of smashing Q and left mouse button for melee and hold right mouse button to lock

when you want to do gutair attacks just use 1-10 buttons

i know plenty of other, faster base games that are on PC that work fine.

also think about THIS

DF releases SDK

user created content

even if the control scheme is subpar, that alone overlooks that

also any USB(xbox 360 controlers, idk about ps3) and ive seen gamepads go for really cheap

besides funding, i dont see a issue if they ported this game

i want to see user created maps/skins/complete addons

As much a PC version of Brütal Legend would be cool, Tim said they can't make a PC port of the game. This is what he said back in the Double Fine Extravaganza Thread:

Not Brütal Legend PC, because we'd have to re-negotiate and pay for 108 separate music licensing contracts to add the platform. Not impossible, but expensive. See previous discussion about money. (Actually 107, because I think I could get Kabbage Boy to do it for free. They're pretty desperate.)

Basically, they would have to pay for the 108 (or 107) songs again if they where going to make a PC port. Again, that doesn't mean there absolutely won't be one. They just need a lot more money to do so. To me, I can also imagine the multiplayer would be fun to play if the controls aren't messy.

As much a PC version of Brütal Legend would be cool, Tim said they can't make a PC port of the game. This is what he said back in the Double Fine Extravaganza Thread:

Not Brütal Legend PC, because we'd have to re-negotiate and pay for 108 separate music licensing contracts to add the platform. Not impossible, but expensive. See previous discussion about money. (Actually 107, because I think I could get Kabbage Boy to do it for free. They're pretty desperate.)

Basically, they would have to pay for the 108 (or 107) songs again if they where going to make a PC port. Again, that doesn't mean there absolutely won't be one. They just need a lot more money to do so. To me, I can also imagine the multiplayer would be fun to play if the controls aren't messy.

Don't forget all the problems that come with PC versions which they have to test as many router configurations and hardware/software combinations that they can in order to make sure that the game works on most peoples' computers. And even after all the testing that is possible the success rate of the game working perfectly is roughly 80-90%. Just look at how many support threads there are for Stacking, Costume Quest and Psychonauts, and then figure that roughly all of the problems on those threads are on the PC version. This takes a lot of time and as we have seen, Double Fine (for many reasons both in house and otherwise) are not very "timely" with any patches to games.

80-90 percent isnt that bad

considering ive seen games made for the PC poop out on boot up

the music contracts is a very valid argument, a true tragic loss

though its not impossible, but if they some how scrounged up the money, i would rather them use it to fund a sequel over a port, since i would like to see something NEW

Sign in to follow this