Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the_lurker

[NOW WITH MORE SCREAMING FANBOY PROOF] There's a disappointingly small amount of people that

I am one of those people, but there are others, the problems is that metal-heads didn't give much notice to Psychonauts which is a shame.

I am one of those people as well. Ozzy was one of the first musicians I loved. I'm happy my dad got me to stop listening to that hair trash when I was seven with Diary of a Madman. Also, Sleep is one of my favorite rock bands ever.

It's not that I didn't like metal before, I had just never really listened to much of it outside of the really popular stuff.

Now I have. And it is awesome.

Hahaha, I hate that. Youtube comments of jerks in the songs saying "I knew them before Brutal Legend you're just a poser and heavy metal is only for enthusiasts RAAAAAH!"

So the trick to enjoying heavy metal is...already enjoying heavy metal?

iTunes sales says the tracks for these songs sold 700% due to Brutal Legend. And Brocas Helm is available to everyone for the first time. Haters gonna hate.

Youtube comments
You read those? Are you living in a parallel universe where they're not 100% stupid? If yes, tell me how that transdimensional communicator works.

Hahaha, I hate that. Youtube comments of jerks in the songs saying "I knew them before Brutal Legend you're just a poser and heavy metal is only for enthusiasts RAAAAAH!"

So the trick to enjoying heavy metal is...already enjoying heavy metal?

iTunes sales says the tracks for these songs sold 700% due to Brutal Legend. And Brocas Helm is available to everyone for the first time. Haters gonna hate.

Those people are stupid, but I can kinda understand that not everyone who listens to these bands after Brutal Legend will be life long listeners, and nearly 95%(this includes me) of metal heads fear metal becoming really popular because of what happened the last time *shudders thinking about Limp Bizcut* but I really like that people are appreciating the genre more. If there is one thing I hate more than metal elitists (the idiots that made those comments on youtube) it has to be people that are uber prejudice against heavy metal, I hate anybody who thinks all metal is just death growls, blast beats, and drop tuned chugging. Brutal Legend was the wake up call the public needed that actual creative music is being made in the metal genre from the uber inteligent stuff from kamelot, Symphony X, and The Lord Weird Slough Feg (and much much more) to the more fun and light hearted UFO, Dethklok, Anvil, and Racer X

It's not that I didn't like metal before, I had just never really listened to much of it outside of the really popular stuff.

Now I have. And it is awesome.

I'm pretty much like awkward turtle. I liked metal before, just not this much.

And I knew about Tim Schafer WAAAAYYY before Brutal Legend. Psychonauts was/is one of my favorite games!

I loooved metal beforehand! I was so thrilled when the game was announced. But even if I didn't care for it, I don't think it would've detracted from my enjoyment of Brütal Legend in any way.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to like heavy metal because of this game. But I had hoped that there would be more metalheads drawn to this game because of its theme, and not vice-versa.

I was a fan of metal and Tim before Brutal Legend, thats why I was so blowen away when the game was announced and almost literally checked on news specifically for Brutal Legend from the day it was announced until EA finally picked it up as publisher.I knew right away that Metal was such a perfect genre to base a game on, being one of the biggest juxtapositions in music history how it is so dead serious and so totally over the top and silly all at the same time. Anyways, I wouldnt call myself a "Metal Head" by any means, but I love and own most of the albums by bands like Pantera, Dio, Ozzy, GnR and Metallica. Not to mention I was a huge Jack Black and Tenacious D fan as well...It seemed like Tim was making the game just for me!

I seen someone take a shot at Limp Bizkit, I will fully admit right now, that Limp Bizkit is my favorite band, still to this day and no, I am not joking or lying about that. Say what you will about Limp Bizkit, but any party I go to, if I put Limp Bizkit on people groan and say "Oh, not THEM!" and not long after that, you will see them partying and singing along. Limp Bizkit made fun music that people loved, then it all crashed down and no one liked them anymore and people are scared to admit that its fun music that they might still enjoy. BTW - Limp Bizkit is releasing a new album, Gold Cobra, they hope to have it out in June.

If you like metal, then your a metal-head, no arguing it, no escaping it. Metal-heads aren't confined to a stereo type you know. Also that was me bashing limp bizkut, I will say yes their music is supposed to be fun ok I'm ok with that, I'm ok they mix rock with hip-hop. I don't like those things generally but I get it. What I am not ok with is them and/or others claiming to be metal, and associating themselves with metal. Also It's not just them, All nu-metal needs to drop the metal part at least from their name. And yes, I always groan and try my best to block out music at a party, its just who I am.

Been loving both for a while now, but Metal has been around longer for me. Since childhood actually. Funny thing, catholic schools turned out to be a great breeding for the small little entourage of headbangers. To this day I'm still surprised that I was really into Limp Bizkit but then again, Pokemon had just hit it's peak and a parody of it was released on the internet. At the time, it was amazing.

I don't see what the big deal is, I mean I did like Heavy Metal and Tim before Brutal Legend, but still atleast people are taking notice to a good genre of music! Yes I can see how it is annoying in a way but i'm glad people now like it this means more sales for the band and others, but come on why is it such a big deal?

I've come to a conclusion that this thread is essentially the original poster saying, "I am disappointed that I didn't like Tim Schafer and metal before this game, like many other fans did."

I've come to a conclusion that this thread is essentially the original poster saying, "I am disappointed that I didn't like Tim Schafer and metal before this game, like many other fans did."

Quite the contrary, my good man. I had Tim sign my copy of Psychonauts and my heavy-metal themed Iron Maiden sneakers before this game's release. I loved both before Brutal Legend, and I do not think that people who didn't are inferior.

Quite the contrary, my good man. I had Tim sign my copy of Psychonauts and my heavy-metal themed Iron Maiden sneakers before this game's release. I loved both before Brutal Legend, and I do not think that people who didn't are inferior.

Really you did? Give us proof, take pictures of them and show us here on DFAF.

Really you did? Give us proof, take pictures of them and show us here on DFAF.

I lent my copy of Psychonauts to my friend but I'll post a pic of the shoes and of the Brutal Legend poster he signed. It said "Congratulations on finding Milla's nightmares", a reference to Psychonauts. He asked me if I'd played it and I said yes and he wanted to know what my favorite level was and if I had beaten Meat Circus. I told him Milla's nightmare room was my favorite level.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4066/proofhl.png

^the side of the sneakers in question

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8083/proof2m.png

Tim's sig is kind of hard to see on my sneakers because he was signing posters in silver Sharpie marker, but I circled his name. He also wrote "Metal!!!" by Little 'Eddie's mouth.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8628/proof3w.png

^the poster in question. Notice that its graphic is the same as the Brutal Legend cover (the screencap is of the lower-right hand corner of the poster where Tim signed it) and that he made a reference to my accomplishment in Psychonauts in his signature. This was at Comic-Con 2009 where he was at the EA booth promoting Brutal Legend. He said my shoes didn't smell too bad.

Also, as further proof that I am both Schafer and metal savvy, I saw the original cinematic trailer for this game on the old DF website the day it was announced. The song in the trailer (which is now no longer available) was "The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath during its Dio days. The old Brutal Legend website (which is long gone now) had Hellion/Electric Eye by Judas Priest as its background music.

Also, as further proof that I am both Schafer and metal savvy, I saw the original cinematic trailer for this game on the old DF website the day it was announced. The song in the trailer (which is now no longer available) was "The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath during its Dio days. The old Brutal Legend website (which is long gone now) had Hellion/Electric Eye by Judas Priest as its background music.

I loved that first trailer, it basically showed everything the game was going to be in a one minute and 37 seconds, Axe, car, wings, slaying a bunch of different enemies. I have the trailer downloaded on my PC, I am very sad no DIO, or DIO era Sabbath made it into the game. Its interesting to look back and see what changed, such as a couple of the headbangers had axes as well. Also it says "The mask was forged from the steal flesh of the firebeast himself" and they show a picture of the Idol of Ormagoden (what Eddie thinks is a belt buckle) but in the end, I dont think they ended up using the "mask" concept, as it was far to small and just left it as some sort of tailsmen that Eddie assumed was a belt buckle.

As I said, I followed BL religously sence it was announced in Game Informer back in 07. Looked for news almost every single day while the game was in the whole publisher limbo, fearing that it might not come out. In the end everything worked out and the game kicked ass. Still, it was/is clear there was sapposed to be more to the game and a fair amount got cut, wish they would have had more time to work on it...

Anyways, I am getting a bit off topic here.

I loved that first trailer, it basically showed everything the game was going to be in a one minute and 37 seconds, Axe, car, wings, slaying a bunch of different enemies. I have the trailer downloaded on my PC, I am very sad no DIO, or DIO era Sabbath made it into the game. Its interesting to look back and see what changed, such as a couple of the headbangers had axes as well. Also it says "The mask was forged from the steal flesh of the firebeast himself" and they show a picture of the Idol of Ormagoden (what Eddie thinks is a belt buckle) but in the end, I dont think they ended up using the "mask" concept, as it was far to small and just left it as some sort of tailsmen that Eddie assumed was a belt buckle.

As I said, I followed BL religously sence it was announced in Game Informer back in 07. Looked for news almost every single day while the game was in the whole publisher limbo, fearing that it might not come out. In the end everything worked out and the game kicked ass. Still, it was/is clear there was sapposed to be more to the game and a fair amount got cut, wish they would have had more time to work on it...

Anyways, I am getting a bit off topic here.

Yup, I was looking forward to those flesh monsters and it looked like there was supposed to be some desert area more than likely specific to the Tainted Coil.

I wasn't metal savvy, but I've been Action/RTS savvy for ten years. I've been hunting and collecting RTS games of this type for a long time. I own Battlezone 1 and 2, Sacrifice, Guilty Gear 2 (well not anymore) and Natural Selection is free for all.

Well before bl when I thought of metal the first thing that would come to my mind was that horrible screaming rubbish, then bl showed me that the real metal is the older stuff like sabbath

and priest who I absolutely love now

Well before bl when I thought of metal the first thing that would come to my mind was that horrible screaming rubbish, then bl showed me that the real metal is the older stuff like sabbath

and priest who I absolutely love now

C'mon now. DD points out the "good" screaming. And if you want something modern that fits what you want, see Mastodon.

Halford is my sort of screaming

*High fives*

Now we shall listen to Screaming for Vengeance and rub it in the face of all metalcore (Mastadon would be a lot better with a traditional metal singer)

Mastodon is the most overrated band in metal right now. The fact that they overshadow Om and High on Fire sickens me.

The fact that all bands are more successful than Powerglove or Pharoah makes me even more angry, they made the best albums of the past few years in any genre of music damnit.

Actually liked both heavy metal and Tim Schafer before this game.

to be honest

ive always been thinking of a game that was based around a heavy metal album cover..

i use to think how it would be badass going around a huge world of heavy metal slaying demons and stuff

then i saw the game informer article about the game

bricks

were

shat

Sign in to follow this