Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LusikkaMage

Platformer games

I had Donkey Kong 64 back in the day. I thought it was great. Until I realized I had to collect an absolutely freakin' insane amount of stuff for it. I just gave up at that point. And it also gets credit for making my cousins cry because we couldn't beat it. Sad stuff.

I played Silicion valley. I thought it was pretty neat, such a cool idea for a game. And I dug the character designs in it. But I did miss out on Jet Force, which I regret. Perhaps a sequel? Oh, anyone ever play Body Harvest? Thatgame was TYTE.

Lol. Why don't companies pimp out their mascots more. Remember all those old platformers back in the day with corporate leads? LOL Chester Cheeto, Spot, Yo Noid. Those were the days. Kinda.

And what happened to the Cesars pizza guy? " Pizza, pizza!"

Oh, anyone ever play Body Harvest?

Yes! Another excellent game! It was very open, tons of fun. I used to waste entire weekends to that game. As for the Jet Force Gemini sequel....I'd love one. That game was so much fun, I'm surprised I forgot about it.

I'm bot sure why I never got around to playing that one. I think I would have liked it.

LOL. I did. I had the bumper cart one and the sneaking one. The bumper car one was pretty fun online. I enjoyed it. The sneaking one was alright. I never got to play the racing one. But just the intro screen alone was worth the price of the game. The king would do all sorts wierd things. I give Burger King credit.

I once again am in a platforming game mood. And alas no real platfomer for me to love is out there. I just got Tomb Raider Legends. Has anyone tried it? Is it any good? I got a great deal on MS point cards and am tempted to use a bit of them on downloadable content for the Tomb Raider Anniversary part.

I skipped over the entire thread because I felt the need to respond to something a guy said way back on the first page. Portal is awesome. Forever!

Yes, it's short. Yes, there are only 19 levels and you can get to level 18 in about an hour. But the final level is 2 hours long. 3 hours does make for a short game, but that's the perfect length for this game. It manages to be 3 hours long and just as satisfying upon completion, if not more satisfying, than almost any other game out there, be they 6 hours or 60 hours long. I own over 20 or 30 games that I have never finished because I don't have time to finish them. They're too long. I would love more games of Portal's length.

There are also the challenges and other such things once you finish the main quest. Those add a bit of time to the game. But, whatever. You're not happy with the length. Fair enough.

Boring? How is it boring? It's a puzzle game, and as far as puzzle games go, it's the best. If you go into it expecting a lot of FPS action, I suppose I can see how you could be disappointed. But that's like buying a bucket of KFC and expecting it to be filled with pork chops. So, if you're not into puzzle games, again, fair enough.

Extremely simple? Well, I wouldn't argue that it's insanely difficult or anything. I never really got stuck. But I had to stop and think along the way. I think it was quite the right difficulty. Of course, you never got past level 15, and I would agree that up to and just beyond that point it is extremely simple. Most of the test chambers are tutorials. I tend to start right at Test Chamber 19 whenever I go back through the game because that's when the game really begins. It's unfortunate that it takes as long as it does to get there. So, if anything, perhaps the game is too long. Or at the very least, it spends too much time holding your hand.

So, you're wrong in your assertion that Portal is crap. It may not be within the realm of things that you like. But, if it's something that you don't like, how can you accurately judge such a thing? I don't like beer, so I cannot judge which beers are the good ones and which ones are crap. They all taste awful to me.

Also, if you don't like Portal, you're probably mentally defective. You may want to seek treatment.

Wow. This thread is a bit old so I don't remember who you're responding to, but I think s/he's in the minority if they hate portal. xD

Oh wait, that's probably my friend VertZer0 (I forget what he's called on DF). I forgot he hated portal, heh.

Recent platformer discoveries for me!

* Draglade (DS) is sort of a 2d platformer RPG beat 'em up fighter. (literally has sections where you fight 1v1 like street fighter, and has sections where it's like final fight, only platformery)

All I can think of right now.

dange-- Haven't played Tomb Raider yet... Actually, even though my dad owned copies of the old ones, I never played any of them ( because I was a scared little girl ;-; )

Oh wait, that's probably my friend VertZer0 (I forget what he's called on DF). I forgot he hated portal, heh.

It's...Bosch. Y'know, ME?!

Also I don't hate Portal, I (almost) beat it

It was like 18-19. Stopped playing because the last level becomes infuriating halfway through.

Ya know, I never really thought about Portal as a platformer. But I guess it could be considered one. Hmm, this gives a whole new outlook on the game. I considered it a puzzle/adventure game. I usually hate puzzle games and the like. But Portal was fun to me. I just really didn't like the fact that it was so insanely short. I wanted it to be much longer.

I have Sly Cooper 1,2,3 THEY ARE ALL AWESOME!

Is Brutal Legend a platformer?

The best way to tell if something is a platformer is if

1 it has a jump button and

2 if you constantly use that button all the damn time.

I have Sly Cooper 1,2,3 THEY ARE ALL AWESOME!

Is Brutal Legend a platformer?

The best way to tell if something is a platformer is if

1 it has a jump button and

2 if you constantly use that button all the damn time.

Teehee...

But i loved Sly, got to be one of my favorite game series

You PS3 people are sooo lucky >:( you guys are getting Sly 4 and the Sly Cooper collectors edition all 3 Sly games RE-Mastered in HD

WHAAAAAAAAAAT since when?! This news intrigues the hell outta me. I love those games in, like, junior high :D

Also, rementioning Banjo-Kazooie because it deserves to be rementioned. And Tooie's a damn fine example of a sequel gone right. :)

NOSTALGIA!

Yup, I LOVE platformers. But I guess they just seem to be dying out. Which is rather sad. Perhaps it's a cycle and platformers will be popular again, and 1st Person shooters will be pushed to the wayside? Modern Warfare Jumping Edition maybe?

Yup, I LOVE platformers. But I guess they just seem to be dying out. Which is rather sad. Perhaps it's a cycle and platformers will be popular again, and 1st Person shooters will be pushed to the wayside? Modern Warfare Jumping Edition maybe?

Super Meat Boy is a great (HARD) platformer that was just released. Figured I'd mention it.

The other day I was at gamestop with my friend who just got a PS3 and he wanted my advice on what game to get. I told him he should get Little Big Planet, Lair and Flower. Then he started making fun of me for liking platformers more than shooters. I told him to talk to me when he stops playing with GI Joes and plastic army men. It wasn't especially clever, but he didn't have anything smart to say back.

:P

Seriously, I'm starting to think that games with guns kind of suck. I've even gotten sick of Gears of War, which was the only game I played online for years.

Gears of War is great fun, man. The lag and community were what made it so good. I disliked Gears of War two, though. The online was terrible.
Likewise, did you play ranked or anything? I think the community got a lot worse a year or so ago when all the people started doing those dumb sniper-battle things that take forever. I don't even know what posessed Epic when they made Gears 2. They just decided to make it so no-one could be good at both games.

My brother and I played Gears 1 online when it came out. I kinda liked it. I've never played 2. Seems like not too many people like that one.

Likewise, did you play ranked or anything? I think the community got a lot worse a year or so ago when all the people started doing those dumb sniper-battle things that take forever. I don't even know what posessed Epic when they made Gears 2. They just decided to make it so no-one could be good at both games.

Most of the time I stuck to player matches because you could play with friends and the atmosphere was great. Especially with no such thing as party chat, it forced you to communicate with the people on your team. I want another game like that.

Sign in to follow this