Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sloth1991

a tablet?

does anyone on this site use a tablet for their artwork? I plan on getting one so its just a lil easier to make textures and photos for my 3d stuff (which btw is going pretty good :D)

I pretty much have to use my mouse all the times, because I only own half a tablet (my bf and I have bought lots of stuff together) and he gets it more often.

When I DO get the tablet it freaks me out because I'm too used to the mouse. o_o

oh geez, I use my tabby ALL THE TIME~ <333 it's so sleek and shiny and I've had if for a year and a half and it works beautifully <333 though I do like to fiddle with traditional stuff like markers and paint, I perfer my tablet stuff :3

If you want a reccomendation, I say get a WACOM Intuos 3 8x6. That's what I have and I LOVE IT <33 *cuddles*

yeah i use one as well. its pretty much a huge leap over using a mouse. i dont hink i would even attempt to draw with a mouse again :D

I have one, but I do not use it much...wacom3 is what I have (comes with photoshot essentials and corel painter 2 and nik color efix pro 2.0 GE) ^_^

I've used the same tablet for about a million years, and it has yet to let me down, the little trooper! ♥ I don't think I could survive without the darling thing, haha!

Yeah, I use a tablet. I switch between an old Wacom I bought, and a Tablet PC (laptop, wooo) that was given to me. I used to be pretty dexterious with a mouse, though I doubt I could ever do what I used to do with it now.

But tablets still annoy me to no end. They're just too... too smooth. There's no friction. It bothers the hell out of me.

since i have so much other shite i need i cant go get one but hey Christmas is right around the bend, sadly i must keep sucking with a mouse till then for my 3d stuff :(

I have a tablet-pc laptop, so the whole screen flips around and becomes a tablet surface. It has an advantage over regular-type tablets because I can see exactaly where I am drawing on the surface I am drawing on.

But I used a standard Intuos 3 for a long time.

You'll love it if you like to draw on paper. There's a little more hand-eye coordination involved, but I think tablets are swell.

I have a tablet-pc laptop, so the whole screen flips around and becomes a tablet surface. It has an advantage over regular-type tablets because I can see exactaly where I am drawing on the surface I am drawing on.

You'll love it if you like to draw on paper. There's a little more hand-eye coordination involved, but I think tablets are swell.

Ooh! I've seen those! They're so cool! How much was it? Pretty expensive I'm guessing. ):

Ooh! I've seen those! They're so cool! How much was it? Pretty expensive I'm guessing. ):

It's not really that bad as fancy equipment goes.

For one with a workable space the size of a standard photo, it's $230

BUT!

May I suggest a tablet of slightly lower quality and MUCH lower price? It still works just dandy, even though it misses out on some of the fancier features of the Intuos.

The Graphire 4 is $99

I've played with that one too ;) The price is pretty good.

It's not really that bad as fancy equipment goes.

For one with a workable space the size of a standard photo, it's $230

BUT!

May I suggest a tablet of slightly lower quality and MUCH lower price? It still works just dandy, even though it misses out on some of the fancier features of the Intuos.

The Graphire 4 is $99

I've played with that one too ;) The price is pretty good.

Woaw! I don't care if the quality isn't as good! I want that! :bug:

Also, does/can your drawing laptop play games on it? If I got it that'd be cool if I could both draw with it and have Psychonauts on the go.

Also, does/can your drawing laptop play games on it? If I got it that'd be cool if I could both draw with it and have Psychonauts on the go.

Yes, it can as a-matter-of-fact. Play World of Warcraft and Psychonauts on it regularly. That's because I made sure to soup it up a fair bit. A lot of it depends on how much RAM you have. More RAM is always better!

This laptop has 4 Gigs, which (aside from probably being just silly) it more than a standard operating system can formally recognize... a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo there. Since I do a lot of programming, I need all of the power I can wring out of it.

But, if you want to play games on your laptop be sure to have AT LEAST 1 Gig for an XP laptop, and 2 Gigs for a Vista laptop. It costs a bit more, but it will also extend how long your laptop can last against other, newer laptops over time.

Note that tablet laptops tend to be smaller than their brothers!

Which brand of laptop and such is it that you use? I'm really intrested into looking into this.

It is a Lenovo "Think Pad" X61. (Lenovo now officially makes the "Think Pad" computers instead of IBM)

As you can see, there is already a new one out there that outclasses mine.

It's a pretty rugged beast, I've dropped it / landed on top of it a few times and it still works.

You should probably look into HP tablet computers as well... I've never had the chance to play with one, but I think that they exist... They'd probably look less boring-business-y if you're not in it for business. ;)

Do remember my advice about RAM though. :3

Bwahaha... I could talk about computers all day...

Yes, it can as a-matter-of-fact. Play World of Warcraft and Psychonauts on it regularly. That's because I made sure to soup it up a fair bit. A lot of it depends on how much RAM you have. More RAM is always better!

This laptop has 4 Gigs, which (aside from probably being just silly) it more than a standard operating system can formally recognize... a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo there. Since I do a lot of programming, I need all of the power I can wring out of it.

But, if you want to play games on your laptop be sure to have AT LEAST 1 Gig for an XP laptop, and 2 Gigs for a Vista laptop. It costs a bit more, but it will also extend how long your laptop can last against other, newer laptops over time.

Note that tablet laptops tend to be smaller than their brothers!

That's why 32 bit OSes suck. I intend to build a new PC, and I want 6-8 gigs of RAM (sounds crazy, but dual-channel PC6400 DDR2 is relatively cheap nowadays). So I need a 64 bit operating system for the goodies like multicore processors...think I should stick with Vista and just install my 64 bit version, or get 64 bit XP? Not sure how stable that version of Vista is.

Sorry, kinda derailing, but I'm just wondering if you know anything about that.

That's why 32 bit OSes suck. I intend to build a new PC, and I want 6-8 gigs of RAM (sounds crazy, but dual-channel PC6400 DDR2 is relatively cheap nowadays). So I need a 64 bit operating system for the goodies like multicore processors...think I should stick with Vista and just install my 64 bit version, or get 64 bit XP? Not sure how stable that version of Vista is.

Sorry, kinda derailing, but I'm just wondering if you know anything about that.

I've never heard any negative comments about Vista-64, other than the usually complaining whiny comments out there for EVERY edition of Vista. I agree that it has it's fair share of problems, but I'm still running it on my computers right now.

So, I'd probably just pick based on which OS style you like better. (Heh... I'm sure that's what you really wanted to hear, eh?)

Good for you about the new PC though! Be sure you get a nice video card for that baby!

I'm sure that in the future my children will have laptops half the weight of mine with 100 Gigs of RAM and will scoff that the enthusiasm we have today about 64-bit OSes. It's the promise of tomorrow!

Which brand of laptop and such is it that you use? I'm really intrested into looking into this.

It is a Lenovo "Think Pad" X61. (Lenovo now officially makes the "Think Pad" computers instead of IBM)

As you can see, there is already a new one out there that outclasses mine.

It's a pretty rugged beast, I've dropped it / landed on top of it a few times and it still works.

You should probably look into HP tablet computers as well... I've never had the chance to play with one, but I think that they exist... They'd probably look less boring-business-y if you're not in it for business. ;)

Do remember my advice about RAM though. :3

Bwahaha... I could talk about computers all day...

Those look fantastic, then I saw the price and it felt like I just got shot.

Sign in to follow this