Double Fine Action Forums

Killer7: 10/10, but -1/10 at the same time.

The story, the art, the cutscenes, the voice acting, the idea was all sooooo great. And it stays great all the way through.

The game was even fun, right up until the 3rd level, where the developers forgot how to make a proper game. I was looking forward to playing K7 big time, but it punches you in the face as soon as it starts throwing some of the most idiotic enemies and mechanics I've ever seen at you. And yet, it was still enjoyable to play simply due to the atmosphere, characters, and cutscenes.

I'm not sure whether I love or hate it. It's an interactive enigma.

Portal

Uh....

Its hard to rate because portal was the 'testing ground' for portal 2 which is gonna be an 'actual game'...

I'd say somewhere between 7 and 10/10 because it was awesome, but short. It was pure genius, but I wanna see the final product in portal 2.

I vote we retire What are you playing and make "Rate the Game Your Playing" the new game thread So we can avoid redundancy.

How would making a new thread about the exact same thing avoid redundancy?

I could just change this thread to "Rate the game you are playing". ;p

That's what I mean. I don't want another thread. I just think we should post about the games we're playing in here for now on and let the old thread die.

Ah, alright.

how about we just make 2 of the same thread and assign half of the people to one thread and the other to the other thread! :D

My sister's copy of Pokemon Diamond - 7/10

All right, not near as engaging as I'd like. It's all, press a button, wait for the thing to happen, skip through the text by pressing several more buttons. Rinse and repeat.

Bad example of a Pokemon game.

Try HeartGold or SoulSilver if you get the chance.

I'd rate them 9-10/10 actually, because of the fact that its a remake of the best pokemon games ever, but with even more added on. You can actually go back and visit the characters and regions of the original games. Instead of 8 badges to get, there are 16. Instead of those [del]gay [/del]girly contest things, there are olympics. You're pokemon follow you around outside. There's just a list that goes on. Also they are WAY more responsive.

My sister's copy of Pokemon Diamond - 7/10

All right, not near as engaging as I'd like. It's all, press a button, wait for the thing to happen, skip through the text by pressing several more buttons. Rinse and repeat.

uh...scarecrow..that is the way pokemon always has been

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak

8/10

Another fantastic episode from Telltale, and a particularly twisted one at that. I do love the out of sequence time skipping. I'm reminded of Day of the Tentacle in a way in terms of solving puzzles by using your place in the timeline. It was fun seeing a few unexpected characters return, especially Jurgen and his entire backstory. The 1900s humor was also very fun, particularly the Elf Ghetto. It's also great to see an episode made up of entirely new locations, rather than just reusing the same stret like the last couple of seasons did. This one fell a bit under the last episode, though, for me. They fixed the puzzle difficulty issue that the last episode had with future vision, but I the new psychic powers could have been employed better and, because the puzzles were contained in their own mini-episodes, they couldn't be fleshed out more. Also, I think the humor wasn't up to par with The Penal Zone, though still fun throughout. But The Tomb of Sammun-Mak is still fantastic fun overall and makes a fine addition to the series.

I replayed Full Throttle today. I'd give it a 9/10 this time. The story gets a perfect 10, if there has ever been a more badass video game I haven't played it. However the gameplay, while usually it is an amazing point and click, is completely lacking in the Old Mine Road area. Me being too honorable to Shift+V my way through it, I suffer through that area everytime. Especially because I always waste my good weapons on the weak enemies. Still, countering that flaw that has always annoyed me, BUNNIES! Also, I replayed it on the really fast mode avaliable on SCUMMVM afterward and beat it in seventeen minutes (I Shift+V'd here). Anyway, I hate reviewing games I've beaten more than three times, but this seems to be the hip, new "What are you playing?".

I wish I had the money to buy RDR. I can always wait the month until my birthday though.

Red Dead Redemption 10/10

Cowboy's are awesome. Herding cattle is really fun, breaking a horse and then bonding with it and seeing how it gets more responsive and loyal to you overtime is truly a magnificent thing to experience and the gunplay is a joy. This game is more then I had hoped for.

So basically, it's like the greatest game you've played so far this year? Awesome, I'm missing out on so much fun, hahaha.

OMG, I realized last night while watching the sunrise that Rockstar didn't give the game a lens flare effect, FINALLY! Lens flare is a unfortunate side effect of multi-lens cameras (read most cameras, especially professional ones) when a camera is exposed to an extremely bright source of light the light scatters around the lenses internally (It looks like this -- though this is a rather extreme example). The human eye, which is basically a simple single lens camera doesn't detect lens flare.

I've never understood game developers insistence on including the effect in video games where there are little to no cameras used. It makes sense to have it in a game like Skate where you're actually being followed around by a guy with a camera. But in Legend of Zelda it makes about us much sense as putting it in a painting. It's an ugly blemish and it detracts from the natural beauty of things like sun light.

Which is why RDR is so awesome, because now I can enjoy watching an in-game sunrise or sunset. And it feels right because my brain isn't trying to figure out what all those circles in my eye are.

OMG, I realized last night while watching the sunrise that Rockstar didn't give the game a lens flare effect, FINALLY! Lens flare is a unfortunate side effect of multi-lens cameras (read most cameras, especially professional ones) when a camera is exposed to an extremely bright source of light the light scatters around the lenses internally (It looks like this -- though this is a rather extreme example). The human eye, which is basically a simple single lens camera doesn't detect lens flare.

I've never understood game developers insistence on including the effect in video games where there are little to no cameras used. It makes sense to have it in a game like Skate where you're actually being followed around by a guy with a camera. But in Legend of Zelda it makes about us much sense as putting it in a painting. It's an ugly blemish and it detracts from the natural beauty of things like sun light.

Which is why RDR is so awesome, because now I can enjoy watching an in-game sunrise or sunset. And it feels right because my brain isn't trying to figure out what all those circles in my eye are.

but i love that effect.

but i love that effect.

I find it extremely irritating as well in video games, but the real question to ask here is did they intend to do that? Or did the time constraints and want/need for the game to come out force them to make there be a lack of lens flare.

My mind is blown by the amount of historical accuracy in Red Dead.

The Model T, the Dalton Gang, the first pumpjacks. It makes a hardcore western fan like myself swoon.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

8/10

I just picked it up a few hours ago. I'm not that far in, but so far, I'm appalled.

It is essentially a repackaging of the exact same game. You fight the same bosses. There's less narrative. Imagine l4d2, except with the same characters and the same levels with slight variations.

I don't know what the f*ck Nintendo thinks they're doing.

I mean, riding Yoshi is fun, and the new levels are interesting, but this is the same game with a few tweaks that, overall, mean nothing.

I don't get it

Super Mario Galaxy 2

8/10

I just picked it up a few hours ago. I'm not that far in, but so far, I'm appalled.

Wow, an eight. You must really think it's awful.

Fable 2 8/10. WOuld be a 9 if it wasn't for the bad load times and drop in frame rate which are fairly frequent. Overall though, the game is awesome and is worth $20 if you own a 360. Lots to do, jobs, buying out property, romancing both genders and making families, side quests, collectables, etc. I barely gotten to what I presume is the midway point of the game and I've sunk plenty of hours into it. I wish the clothes didn't look as weird as they do sometimes, but overall the game offers a wide open world with loads of characters. Combat is really easy though and you can never die but I find myself not really minding it.

Can't wait for Fable III.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

8/10

It is essentially a repackaging of the exact same game. You fight the same bosses. There's less narrative. Imagine l4d2, except with the same characters and the same levels with slight variations.

I don't know what the f*ck Nintendo thinks they're doing.

I mean, riding Yoshi is fun, and the new levels are interesting, but this is the same game with a few tweaks that, overall, mean nothing.

I don't get it

Nintendo did mention that the game's title would be more along the lines of SMG 1.5.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

8/10

Wow, an eight. You must really think it's awful.

It is exactly the same as Galaxy 1, which I still enjoyed and would give an 8 to. To give a 3/10 to SMG2 and an 8/10 to SMG and claim that they are clones of each other would be contradicting.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't a bad game, it's a bad sequel.

There's less narrative.

because super mario was always known for its great story

Who are you?

Super Mario Galaxy had actual cutscenes that were relatively decent. SMG2 has a slideshow.

Super Mario Sunshine even had voice acting.

Galaxy 2 isn't a sequel, because it isn't connected to Galaxy 1 in any other way than game design and story (which has remained consistent for decades, anyways). I felt that Galaxy 2, though, had a good jump up in level design quality. Ramping up the difficulty (as in actually implementing difficulty) worked in the game's favor and made the overall level design much more fun for me.

Sign in to follow this