Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
armagiddeon

How the Comics are Made

Hello!

I've no idea if someone has already posted something like this, buuuuuuuut what are the programs used for making the comics? I think it would be fun to make one so does anyone have any idea.

Bonus points if someone can give me a Mac equivalent of those programs!

Cheers

No, it's $49.99 downloadable. If you want free, Mac comes with a paint program. It doesn't do onionskin so it would be a little difficult. But, Walt Disney started out with a pencil and a sheet of paper on his kitchen table. What he had was determination.

are you talking about the comics by double fine artists or just in general?

you might have better luck getting a response from them if you comment directly on one of their comics, but i imagine most of them are using some very expensive professional program like photoshop

I imagine most of the artists use PhotoShop. As mentioned, it's probably better to ask the artists themselves via the comment boxes on their comic pages for more detail about programs and stuff. One thing I'm sure of is that they use tablets when drawing digitally. You can also ask them for brand-names for the tablets they use, as well~ :3c

You should not feel limited to using a certain program for making a digital comic. In fact, it does not have to be digital at all. I used to make my comics traditionally, on sketchbooks, and I still do sometimes. There are pros and cons of making traditional and digital comic, but if you are inclined to using digital medium for making comics, there are certainly many tools available, not just the ones that are labeled "comic making program".

Just to let you know, I am a window user, but I use Photoshop [not free. Win/Mac] to draw, but I also use Sai Paint Tool [not free, and for windows only], Gimp [free. Win/Mac], and MS paint [free, windows only, but I am sure Mac has a built-in art tool]. ArtRage [not free. Win/Mac] is also neat; it's a digital program that produces convincingly traditional-looking artworks. These programs are, in my opinion, adequate for drawing comics, though each program might be more apt producing certain art style.

There are also free online tools, namely these things called "Oekaki", have you heard of them? I am pretty sure they will also run in Mac. These are free, but their functionality can match that of Photoshop depending on how you work, so there are many comic artists that uses these! But in order to use these, you need to find someone who is hosting them. If you google "paint BBS" "Chibi Paint" you may be able to find a website that is hosting them. I personally suggest "Chibi Paint" by the way. p:

I hope this helps, Armagiddeon

I wonder if ole' Walt is upset with where Disney is going?

He might be, if he hadn't died in 1966.

They still have his frozen head wired into Disneyland's security system so he can dream and watch all the spectators in the park. Next time you go, remember, Walt is watching you from somewhere down below.

silly spammer, your friend already has this thread covered

I am just curious if people are getting paid to do these or we got some pretty clever programed bots.

Sign in to follow this