Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Who

Kotaku: Tim Schafer's opinion about Activison's boss.

They didn't deny that he was a prick. Which I think is great. And I don't care if Kotick was trying to come across as professional. He lost that ability when he tried to sabotage Brutal Legend. Fuck him. Tim's great. I approve of him taking a stand. More developers really need to stand up to that ass.

Plus, confirmation that Tim is not morally against sequels, he just needs someone to give the studio enough money for them to sit down and make one :)

The real question in the interview that Kotaku and others seems to gloss over is what new project does Tim going to announce?

Looks like Tim didn't like what he said yesterday:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/schafer-i-need-to-keep-my-mouth-shut

"That was an accident," explained Schafer in response to a question following his talk at Develop this morning. "I was going to change the title of my talk to 'how to give interviews and remember to check the microphone is off.'

"I need to keep my mouth shut," he said. "It is shocking how you really can't burn bridges in the industry. You start your own company and you don't have to work for that jerky boss any more. Not naming names.

"Then it's like Empire Strikes Back - you walk in the room and "holy shit darth vader's at the table." It's such a small industry, you see the same people over and over again. No-one ever goes away."

However, he refused to explain his comment yesterday, in which he called Kotick a "dick" and accused him of not liking games. "I'm definitely not saying anything about Bobby," he said. "After that Eurogamer thing I realised I'm a little nervous about what I want to say."

Bah, Kotick is a dick and it's hilarious that they try to play him off as a "real gamer". I'm sorry but pushing for a billion GH sequels, increasing the price of your peripherals, and generally making stupid decisions as the CEO of a game company does not make you a gamer.

Looks like Tim didn't like what he said yesterday:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/schafer-i-need-to-keep-my-mouth-shut

"That was an accident," explained Schafer in response to a question following his talk at Develop this morning. "I was going to change the title of my talk to 'how to give interviews and remember to check the microphone is off.'

"I need to keep my mouth shut," he said. "It is shocking how you really can't burn bridges in the industry. You start your own company and you don't have to work for that jerky boss any more. Not naming names.

"Then it's like Empire Strikes Back - you walk in the room and "holy shit darth vader's at the table." It's such a small industry, you see the same people over and over again. No-one ever goes away."

However, he refused to explain his comment yesterday, in which he called Kotick a "dick" and accused him of not liking games. "I'm definitely not saying anything about Bobby," he said. "After that Eurogamer thing I realised I'm a little nervous about what I want to say."

Anyone who says I retracted my comments is lying. - Tim Schafer

He burned that bridge, pissed on the fire, and danced. His context of his comments was advice to budding game developers: "I'm the only one allowed to do that."

I'm already exited for Brad Muir's game. Looks like Brutal Legend is getting a spiritual sequel, just like Brutal Legend is the spiritual sequel to Sacrifice.

I think Schafer should calm down on the publisher bashing no matter how awesome it is though...

I mean sure activision hated him anyway, but some of the comments about EA not doing a sequel just seemed a bit to spiteful.

I think Schafer should calm down on the publisher bashing no matter how awesome it is though...

I mean sure activision hated him anyway, but some of the comments about EA not doing a sequel just seemed a bit to spiteful.

Wouldn't be the first time. He's let people know he already made new patches for Brutal Legend, but that EA would not pay for providing them for download.

Alright EA is just plain back to being their original money hungry self, especially if you look at their upcoming games lineup...

Sign in to follow this