Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Who

Schafer: Double Fine has four games signed

I realize I'm being a bitch right now, but seriously, I'm sick, uncomfortable and haven't had anything with protein in it for the past three days because I can't keep it down. The only things I'm able to keep down are semi-flat seltzer, crackers and jell-o-- and not regular jell-o, either, just vegetarian jell-o, which doesn't have any protein in it. I had seriously been reduced to watching anime and feeling sorry for myself for the last five hours, and this post is the first time I have complained to anyone else about throwing up since I had my barium swallow done. Which was months ago. I generally throw up once or twice a week. (though this is the first time it's lasted this long in a couple months.) I think I deserve a little bitchy.

This was seriously the only good news I'd had in the past couple days, and I was justifiably excited about it. And I tried so hard to sound chipper and enthusiastic in my post. And then you guys come up with your snarky little comments and try to make me feel fangirly and immature. I'm embarrassed and upset (if that was your plan, it worked, good for you, don't you feel like a better person now) by your responses and I wish I could just delete that damnable recording and get this whole thing over with.

Just when I think I've gotten you guys to respect me, even a little bit, I go and blow it all to hell doing something I thought was harmless but ended up sounding stupid. This forum is practically the only place I have friends that I get to talk to when I'm sick like this, and it kind of makes me want to just... I don't know. I really don't. It's too late for shit like this. I'm going to bed.

Edit: derp I wrote this before you guys posted. Oh well I had an effin' point to make and I'm gonna effin' make it

Why is it not okay to be excited about this? I thought you guys were cool.

Also, can you guys remove the quote from your posts? I'd like for that video to be forgotten, because it's apparently too immature for this forum or something.

It's just that...it's OK here, because we know what it's about. But, anyone who just randomly runs across that recording...well...um...

3 minutes later, the laughter has stopped.... LMFAO

I realize I'm being a bitch right now, but seriously, I'm sick, uncomfortable and haven't had anything with protein in it for the past three days because I can't keep it down. The only things I'm able to keep down are semi-flat seltzer, crackers and jell-o-- and not regular jell-o, either, just vegetarian jell-o, which doesn't have any protein in it. I had seriously been reduced to watching anime and feeling sorry for myself for the last five hours, and this post is the first time I have complained to anyone else about throwing up since I had my barium swallow done. Which was months ago. I generally throw up once or twice a week. (though this is the first time it's lasted this long in a couple months.) I think I deserve a little bitchy.

This was seriously the only good news I'd had in the past couple days, and I was justifiably excited about it. And I tried so hard to sound chipper and enthusiastic in my post. And then you guys come up with your snarky little comments and try to make me feel fangirly and immature. I'm embarrassed and upset (if that was your plan, it worked, good for you, don't you feel like a better person now) by your responses and I wish I could just delete that damnable recording and get this whole thing over with.

Just when I think I've gotten you guys to respect me, even a little bit, I go and blow it all to hell doing something I thought was harmless but ended up sounding stupid. This forum is practically the only place I have friends that I get to talk to when I'm sick like this, and it kind of makes me want to just... I don't know. I really don't. It's too late for shit like this. I'm going to bed.

Edit: derp I wrote this before you guys posted. Oh well I had an effin' point to make and I'm gonna effin' make it

here is a useful mantra i try to remember: people on the internet have no importance in real life and they are not worth getting upset over

say it a few times, go to bed, and you won't care in the morning

hey gridsleep, fuck you. it annoys me when you talk about tech stuff inaccurately. i had sex with your wife while you were at work yesterday. i'm going to eat all the leftover meatloaf you had in the fridge.

(remember my teachings)

You are so funny. No, I mean that, really. You never say anything that isn't at least slightly amusing. I'm amazed.

Pff, yeah. That's like being carried to the limo cred, except you're too busy having fun on the skateboard to care.

The multiplayer game needs to have a tutorial. It NEEDS one. Separate from whatever story, and so complete that a player can go right into a mission and know what they're doing. I knew what I was getting into with Brutal Legend, which helped me greatly. But a lot of people quit after the LOL RTS parts.

I just had a person on the fence for six effing months finally try, knowing what he was getting into, only to quit when he got to the Pleasure Tower. He asked for help I helped this person to the best of my ability with grueling detail. I told him that ground game was more important than command ability. I told him everything I could. And he tried again, gave up and sold the game, saying that in any other RTS he wouldn't have to tolerate the nuances he was having.

I've been hearing this kind of stuff since the game's release actually.

Tu-story-als don't work. Make a tutorial with a part 1 part 2 part 3 and so on, available in the main menu. Have Tim Schafer narrate instructions or something, just to get the message across. People don't read the Tour Book, and people don't go into Chapters so they can re-learn to hold Y and micromanage. Make. A. Tutorial. With exercises. Vagueness is fine for puzzle games like Monkey Island, this isn't Monkey Island.

Like Transformers (the new one). The first thing it does is beg you to look at the tutorial, immediately available. Knights in the Nightmare is a crazy complex game that does the same thing. KitN has the very detailed tutorial with exercises. Another "complicated" game with a good tutorial would be Project Sylpheed. Or even the one and only Sacrifice.

This is my imagination, but my ideal micromanagement tutorial would be something like this for BL: it's a big open field, theres a leech north of you, baddies to the south of you, another leach east, and more baddies west. You have four sets of Headbangers, a set of Razorgirls, and Lemmy.

1. Game tells you to set a beacon on North Leech.

2. The game tells you to hold Y and never let go. If you let go early, everything stops something tells you HEY, YOU LET GO EARLY, you see whatever execution happens regardless and you have to start over.

3. Player (still holding Y) has to walk to a set of Headbangers and command Go to Beacon.

4. Player has to walk to a set of headbangers and command Attack while looking at the baddies to the South.

5. Player has to command Defend three times to another set of Headbangers, then the Razor girls and Lemmy.

6. Player has to command the spare Headbangers to Follow.

7. Player has to let go of Y. Then they can watch it happen.

More exercises like this are good. It also took me four months to realize I could micromanage from the sky, because I saw it in an expert's video. It just goes to show you how micromanagement is unimportant in that game, but a lot of things are hidden, like the spotlights, the stage Double Teams, etc.

It doesn't have to be an Action/RTS either. It could be a game with anything a player would not be used to.

Starcraft 2 comes out in a week and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PLAY IT. I'm going to try it for the first time, because they boast the thing can run on just about any 5 year old abacus you have lying around, and they boast an exercise riddled tutorial section that can get the greenest of n00bs ready for multiplayer. So I'm going to be testing that tutorial section too.

So, about those games... I wonder if they're arcade titles. Sound pretty sweet.

Two will be arcade, and two will be retail.

So, about those games... I wonder if they're arcade titles. Sound pretty sweet.

Two will be arcade, and two will be retail.

\m/

Thanks. I hope I didn't ask a question that was already answered in the thread. I thought I read everything pretty thuroughly.

I totally meant to come flailing over here the day I heard about this wonderful news, but I was lazy. 8'(

Here it is. Each game is led by a different person.

* Lee Petty, the Art Director on Brutal Legend. As such, the game’s heavily aesthetic showcase, with Schafer using words like “retro” and “beautiful”.

* Nathan Martz, the Brutal Legend lead programmer. It’s described as technically cutting edge, but accessible.

* Brad Muir, one of the Brutal Legend Designers. His interest on Brutal Legend focused on the combat and multiplayer, and the game apparently delves into that sort of mechanics showcase.

* And finally the game headed by Tasha Harris, Brutal Legend Animator, ex-Senior Pixar Animator and creator of popular Littleloud Webcomics. Amongst other things.

I'm most exited for Brad Muir's game.

I'm mostly interested in Lee Petty's game, though other titles are intriguing as well. I'm something of an oldschool adventurer, so combat and multiplayer don't really inspire me.

I heard the signal to noise ratio on XBLA exposure and sales is very bad for developers. One developer said they had no choice but to release their game on PSN because of this. Luckily Double Fine has a fanbase, but they should try and get at least one of their games considered for the Summer of Arcade (but not too many because the SoA games are exclusive on Xbox Live for a year.)

I hope the multiplayer focused game is more accepted than Brutal Legend was. I'm on a different wavelength than the rest of the planet it seems. Like I'm the only person on earth who got Brutal Legend specifically for the multiplayer. For two months before release I was trying to tell Penny Arcade "who cares about the cutscenes, the Action RTS hybrid multiplayer is going to be the big deal!" And instead when the game finally came out eveyone else flipped out and cried "RTS in disguise" and "LOL RTS."

This is very exciting. Some of my favorite games this generation have been Live Arcade games. Braid, The Maw, 'Splosion Man, N+, Limbo... They all show that there is a huge opportunity for greatness in the downloadable platform.

That's insane if true. Double Fine's been busy. They must have Oompa Loompas.

I hope the multiplayer focused game is more accepted than Brutal Legend was. I'm on a different wavelength than the rest of the planet it seems. Like I'm the only person on earth who got Brutal Legend specifically for the multiplayer. For two months before release I was trying to tell Penny Arcade "who cares about the cutscenes, the Action RTS hybrid multiplayer is going to be the big deal!" And instead when the game finally came out eveyone else flipped out and cried "RTS in disguise" and "LOL RTS."

Same here, I do wonder what will be the visual theme of the game though, the story behind the characters we'll be controlling. I wouldn't mind seeing more Pikminized version for SP. Not entirely, but just scenarios that revolve around taking control of units and attacking one monster or something of that nature.

I also hope for a split-screen and/or system link capability with lessons learned from the BL experience. Consequences for DCing and ragequitting are always nice.

Sign in to follow this